This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

White Actors Playing Black Roles

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. White Actors Playing Black Roles

User Info: wolverinerob79

wolverinerob79
1 month ago#31
What I always wondered was the why. I find it hard to believe that for any character it's that difficult to find someone with the right acting ability that looks somewhat like the base character.

But if the director wants a specific actor due to how they'd play them, make them look like the character - don't change the race of the character simply because that was the race of the actor chosen. Just like any other sort of makeup. If you're playing a character who has no ears, you're not locked in to only choose actors with no ears (such a tiny pool of people) - but don't just change the character to suddenly have ears because that's what the actor has in real life.

All this to say, this seems to have nothing to do with politics.

User Info: Thebrah

Thebrah
1 month ago#32
Next batman actor should be a f***ing barefooted hick from Alabama.

That'll show us how culture has evolved.

dumb
Most capitalists don't know that you can't become rich without doing the opposite of Jesus Christ's golden rule. Maybe that's why rich folk don't go to heaven.
Tenlaar posted...
It depends on if the ethnicity of the character has a meaningful impact on their story, just like it does for non-white actors playing characters that were originally white.

This. White black panther doesn't work because his backstory is that he's part of an african country that isolated itself to protect itself from enslavement. It doesn't work with a white guy.

Now say replace will smiths character in independence day with a white guy? No difference.

Context matters.
In Brady We Trust.
I've finally realized the secret to making a successful Mearn topic. Make it about CZG - Mearn

User Info: UnsteadyOwl

UnsteadyOwl
1 month ago#34
WhiskeyfuledDS1 posted...
UnsteadyOwl posted...
Tenlaar posted...
It depends on if the ethnicity of the character has a meaningful impact on their story, just like it does for non-white actors playing characters that were originally white.

I'm in this camp. I do think a character like Black Panther should be played by a black actor, because it would be bizarre for a character of a different ethnicity to be the king of an African nation.

However, if they cast a non-black actress to play a character like Storm it wouldn't bother me so long as the actress they do cast does a good job with the role.

African girl raised as a goddess in her tribe?.... You sure?

Maybe I'm not familiar enough with her character in the comics. Just going by the movies I kinda don't see what of substance would change about her character or her role in the X-Men if she was from some other part of the world.

I do like the War Machine example though. It wouldn't be a big deal if he was played by a non-black actor.
Practice what you preach.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
1 month ago#35
So all you folks saying it doesn't matter if it wasn't critical to the backstory didn't do any complaining about the gender-swapped Ghost Busters or Idris Elba playing Heimdal right? And no complaints when he plays Bond, yea?
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: Jaghave

Jaghave
1 month ago#36
mrryansalter posted...
If it's a fictional character why would I give a f***? A White Black Panther? It'd be f***ing stupid given he's ruler of an African nation, but sure knock yourself out. If they want to change him to a British prince instead then I guess there's nothing I can say.

What I DO have an issue with, is a white actor playing Michael Jackson. Because MJ was a real person who was factually African American.

Would be more historically accurate
Greeks ruled Egypt and Roman rules Egypt for a long time then tou had britian
For those who say I'm a gimmick
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/261-politics/64183623 been going for 6 years strong

User Info: ClayGuida

ClayGuida
1 month ago#37
Can we make Jesus middle eastern again already?
lolAmerica

User Info: Prototypic

Prototypic
1 month ago#38
Jaghave posted...
mrryansalter posted...
If it's a fictional character why would I give a f***? A White Black Panther? It'd be f***ing stupid given he's ruler of an African nation, but sure knock yourself out. If they want to change him to a British prince instead then I guess there's nothing I can say.

What I DO have an issue with, is a white actor playing Michael Jackson. Because MJ was a real person who was factually African American.

Would be more historically accurate
Greeks ruled Egypt and Roman rules Egypt for a long time then tou had britian

You're not even trying anymore, are you?
Thus I became a madman.

User Info: Mirage13

Mirage13
1 month ago#39
WhiskeyfuledDS1 posted...
B4 ghost in the Shell comes up she's a robot body.

I didn't realize Scarlett Johannsen was a robot. :O
Current Consoles: PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, PS2 Slim, NES Classic, SNES Classic.

User Info: TheShadowViper

TheShadowViper
1 month ago#40
No, I don't think white actors should play black roles. I don't want a white Blade. I don't want a South African Black Panther who is struggling to come to terms with his inaction during apartheid, or some other ridiculous story change to justify his change of race.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. White Actors Playing Black Roles

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived