This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. White Actors Playing Black Roles

User Info: Prototypic

Prototypic
3 months ago#11
I think it depends an awful lot on context. A "White Panther" would have a white dude as ruler of an insular and xenophobic African kingdom, which would be a bit odd, logistically. People like to generalize and paint situations with a broad brush, but it's not that simple and not every case is going to be the equivalent.
Thus I became a madman.

User Info: Nitro378

Nitro378
3 months ago#12
WhiskeyfuledDS1 posted...
B4 ghost in the Shell comes up she's a robot body.

Not this s*** again.

Anyway, I think it's okay if it's a character like Mace Windu whose blackness is never part of his character and is just incidental but not Black Panther because that's just silly.
Why is it only called class war when we fight back? https://youtu.be/fUuK6JtP7xA
Number of 30-day suspensions for attacking Zionism: 3

User Info: WhiskeyfuledDS1

WhiskeyfuledDS1
3 months ago#13
Can I get Kerri Washington to play starfire?... Her and halle berry both get my box office rising
I'm aware it's misspelled.... goddammit

User Info: CyrusV

CyrusV
3 months ago#14
I really don't care. I used to watch Kung Fu.
"Be excellent to each other... and... PARTY ON DUDES!" -Abraham Lincoln

User Info: Cassie_Cage

Cassie_Cage
3 months ago#15
Humble_Novice posted...
We've had people of color playing roles made famous by white actors, so the opposite is just fine too, right? I'd personally like to see a white Black Panther outside of cosplaying events.

https://i.imgtc.com/e43pA82.jpg

SHIKAKA!
Two hands working can, have, and will continue to accomplish more than a million clasped in prayer.

User Info: Thebrah

Thebrah
3 months ago#16
If the original character has a certain race or ethnicity you can't just f*** that up.

I don't give a s*** how many arguments people get into about this.

Superman can't be human (A DIFFERENT RACE) and suddenly no longer allergic to kryptonite. It's a stupid f***ing concept and the same thing goes for other race/ethnicity switching. Don't do it. Keep things original and twist up the stories. If your character doesn't fit then MAKE A NEW CHARACTER but don't switch up characters we know and love.
Most capitalists don't know that you can't become rich without doing the opposite of Jesus Christ's golden rule. Maybe that's why rich folk don't go to heaven.

User Info: MalachiteXWater

MalachiteXWater
3 months ago#17
Do you want those actors to be heckled,shamed,hunted down,etc?
I like lasagna

User Info: WhiskeyfuledDS1

WhiskeyfuledDS1
3 months ago#18
Cassie_Cage posted...
Humble_Novice posted...
We've had people of color playing roles made famous by white actors, so the opposite is just fine too, right? I'd personally like to see a white Black Panther outside of cosplaying events.

https://i.imgtc.com/e43pA82.jpg

SHIKAKA!

Equenshoo ocha
I'm aware it's misspelled.... goddammit

User Info: ArtiRock

ArtiRock
3 months ago#19
Depends on the circumstances. I'll use my example from the Superman topic:

no one cares if different races play a different role so long as the person fits. If a Rush Hour remake was made, the roles do not have to be a Chinese man and a black man. They can literally be anything so long as the people come from two different cultures.

As a matter of fact, there *was* a television version of it, and one of the actors, Jon Foo is Chinese and Irish, and was raised in London-- a considerable departure from Jackie Chan. Jon Foo is also Jin Kazama, a Japanese man, in Tekken.

What gets me is how people seem to randomly do this garbage. The Nutty Professor? No one cares that a black person plays the main character.

Hell, technically in Star Wars, a black man replaced a white man that was replaced by a white man! So there you have it. As a matter of fact, when the helmet was removed, people were kinda stunned from what I hear because James Earl Jones has a very distinctive voice.

Prototypic posted...
I think it depends an awful lot on context. A "White Panther" would have a white dude as ruler of an insular and xenophobic African kingdom, which would be a bit odd, logistically. People like to generalize and paint situations with a broad brush, but it's not that simple and not every case is going to be the equivalent.

The context would be even worse if you didn't massively change it. A white guy being from a lineage of people leading a group of blacks in a made up xenophobic African kingdom sounds like a perfect storm of badness.

Thebrah posted...
Superman can't be human (A DIFFERENT RACE) and suddenly no longer allergic to kryptonite. It's a stupid f***ing concept and the same thing goes for other race/ethnicity switching. Don't do it. Keep things original and twist up the stories. If your character doesn't fit then MAKE A NEW CHARACTER but don't switch up characters we know and love.

And this is a dumb response tbh. Superman being weak to kryptonite is not even close to the same thing as Superman being a different ethnicity. As nothing about Superman's ethnicity is important to the character. Superman : kryptonite != Superman : white. That's dumb.

At least the people for James Bond rage if it's not a brown haired white male, but that's because they want him to be EXACTLY the same. Not even having so little as different eye color if it can be helped.
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.

User Info: UnsteadyOwl

UnsteadyOwl
3 months ago#20
Tenlaar posted...
It depends on if the ethnicity of the character has a meaningful impact on their story, just like it does for non-white actors playing characters that were originally white.

I'm in this camp. I do think a character like Black Panther should be played by a black actor, because it would be bizarre for a character of a different ethnicity to be the king of an African nation.

However, if they cast a non-black actress to play a character like Storm it wouldn't bother me so long as the actress they do cast does a good job with the role.
Practice what you preach.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. White Actors Playing Black Roles
  • Topic Archived