This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Do you agree with Talib Kweli about Japanime and whites?

User Info: Ranzoh

Ranzoh
4 months ago#1
How come only a black guy speaks up about this but not anyone else can?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbTwvDrVYfg

I think there needs to be a more equal representation of races in anime, and I guess it's getting there, but its got some way to go. The games I like have a few set minority characters though. Can't say the same for Hollywoood though, maybe it's changing little by little like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but a Korean guy playing a Japanese guy?

User Info: FunWithAFryPan

FunWithAFryPan
4 months ago#2
He's a pretty well-spoken and observant guy. I tend to agree with most of what he said throughout the video. Minority representation in media happens with social progress, which is why I think you have reactionaries push back on it, often couched in their "white genocide" rhetoric.

We still have a long way to go, but such is progress. It doesn't happen overnight.
He who strikes with meaning is killed by meaning.

User Info: Eagleeyejack

Eagleeyejack
4 months ago#3
No. You do not get to demand Japanese people make black anime for you. If you want black anime, GO DO IT. Japan does not owe you black characters. Same thing for female comic book heroes, you want em? Go make em. Nobody owes you characters.
Feel free to Private message me if you want to speak to me.

User Info: Atombender

Atombender
4 months ago#4
This has been an age-old trope really. The tall, blonde, blue-eyed guy with a chiseled face is the hero. The small, dark-haired guy with a scar and an eyepatch is the villain.

Has its base in physiognomy which is a practice of assessing a person's character or personality from their outer appearance—especially the face. This used to be an actual science and was used by police and prosecutors to find and judge accused criminals.
"Another visitor! Stay a while! Stay forever!"

FunWithAFryPan
4 months ago#5
Eagleeyejack posted...
No. You do not get to demand Japanese people make black anime for you. If you want black anime, GO DO IT. Japan does not owe you black characters. Same thing for female comic book heroes, you want em? Go make em. Nobody owes you characters.

Seems like you didn't watch the video. He never claimed that anyone is entitled to black characters. He's talking about the strange connection between anime and white supremacy and how even Japanese cartoons conform to Eurocentric standards of beauty.

User Info: DOAbayman

DOAbayman
4 months ago#6
Atombender posted...
This has been an age-old trope really. The tall, blonde, blue-eyed guy with a chiseled face is the hero. The small, dark-haired guy with a scar and an eyepatch is the villain.

Has its base in physiognomy which is a practice of assessing a person's character or personality from their outer appearance—especially the face. This used to be an actual science and was used by police and prosecutors to find and judge accused criminals.

this is actually subverted quite often in anime and media in general at this point. the tall handsome blonde man that everyone swoons for often becomes a traitor, villain, or just general piece of s***. Meanwhile most shounen protagonist have dark hair trying to act as a surrogate for the Japanese audience. scars have also changed intentionally making characters look scary but a lot of times subverting it.

regarding the whole dark skin equals evil I do disagree with that notion. It's more than often just meant to portray somebody as exotic. occasionally yes they will make the skin darker during an evil power up but they also do that a ton with white as they've subverted the trope so much that anyone described as "angelic" is probably about to do some really bad s***.
"Are you one of those scrubs that likes the story spoon fed to you?"
"You mean books?"

User Info: Vtriggering

Vtriggering
4 months ago#7
Ranzoh posted...
I think there needs to be a more equal representation of races in anime

Equal representation of all races in the world when the genre is entirely made in Japan (and a bit of Korea)? Japan only has Japanese in it. Their bottom line is their Japanese audience.
https://i.imgur.com/Ocr0o9m.png

FunWithAFryPan
4 months ago#8
Vtriggering posted...
Ranzoh posted...

Equal representation of all races in the world when the genre is entirely made in Japan (and a bit of Korea)? Japan only has Japanese in it. Their bottom line is their Japanese audience.

Characters in Japanese anime don't look Japanese.

User Info: Vtriggering

Vtriggering
4 months ago#9
FunWithAFryPan posted...
Vtriggering posted...
Ranzoh posted...

And that's what Japanese people wanted when they responded with their wallet.

If Japanese don't want to see less-represented races in their anime, your diversity anime simply won't get made.

Any anime that doesn't make it in Japan will never make it out of Japan either.

You think the rest of the world like their over-saturated moe-blob bulls***? But that's just what sells in Japan.
https://i.imgur.com/Ocr0o9m.png

User Info: Atombender

Atombender
4 months ago#10
FunWithAFryPan posted...
Vtriggering posted...
Ranzoh posted...

Exactly. Most anime characters are westernized.
"Another visitor! Stay a while! Stay forever!"
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Do you agree with Talib Kweli about Japanime and whites?
  • Topic Archived