This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. 18 y/o Black Kid with NO RECORD gets 5 YEARS in PRISON for Stealing NIKE SHOES!.

User Info: Scorpion122178

Scorpion122178
10 months ago#91
LawnNinja posted...

This is the real reason we still push on with our disastrous War on Drugs™ and why the state of black America sees so little improvement despite having a light shown on it for decades.

Again I agree, but even if and hopefully when drugs are decriminalized and those men are freed it still wont help this kid who robbed someone over shoes.
Currently playing: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Total War: Warhammer, Halo 3, Metroid: Return of Samus
FC: 2638 - 1204 - 7548

User Info: Mitsukiba

Mitsukiba
10 months ago#92
ChestnutsAreHot posted...
Supsegar posted...
Oh no, a black kid commit an armed robbery and he got 5 years

Its all the fault of those white supremacists!

Fun fact: if you dont break the law, you are much less likely to be prosecuted

This. </topic>

Do you by chance read?
Nothing left here for me.

User Info: LawnNinja

LawnNinja
10 months ago#93
Scorpion122178 posted...
LawnNinja posted...

This is the real reason we still push on with our disastrous War on Drugs™ and why the state of black America sees so little improvement despite having a light shown on it for decades.

Again I agree, but even if and hopefully when drugs are decriminalized and those men are freed it still wont help this kid who robbed someone over shoes.

My point is that this individual incident is indicative of a larger structural problem, one that works like a well-oiled machine to take vulnerable young black men from broken homes and impoverished communities and turn them into a renewable resource for prison profiteers. We may not be able to help this particular kid avoid his likely future, but we can certainly try to change the cyclical conditions that produce other offenders like him.
"It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Mitsukiba
10 months ago#94
@Heineken14 Funny albeit inappropriate.

@LawnNinja I agree. The longer they keep inmates the more money they make. Fundamentally all the problems of America are properuated due to money and are being masked by other problems. Can’t change things at the core if we are attacking topical issues near exclusively.

@SaikyoStyle I didn’t realize how much income played a role. But you’re so right. On that note; with no criminal record and not being in possession of a gun, 5 years is harsh. I’d have given him a year’s house arrest and some probation.

And unpopular opinion. Sometimes good people mix it with the wrong crowd for acceptance. He could have been a good kid otherwise.

User Info: zerosignal316

zerosignal316
10 months ago#95
Literal armed robbery. Should have gotten 10.
XBL Gamertag: ZeroSignal316
PSN: ZeroSignal316

User Info: willythemailboy

willythemailboy
10 months ago#96
zerosignal316 posted...
Literal armed robbery. Should have gotten 10.

If he hadn't been allowed to plea down to "robbery by force" it would have been a 10 year mandatory minimum.
He who laughs last, thinks fastest.

User Info: MajesticFerret

MajesticFerret
10 months ago#97
18 y/o Dayonn Davis from Georgia was given a HEFTY PRISON SENTENCE of 5 YEARS after he stole a $100 pair of shoes in an armed robbery

Oh look, uneducated Gfaq race baiters proving once again how dumb they are.

He WOULD have gotten a less severe sentence...if his robbery wasn't armed. Armed robbery changes the stakes quite a bit.

You see...stealing shoes is one thing. Threatening to KILL someone over said shoes and carrying the propensity to murder cops if they try and stop him is another.

5 yrs is perfectly fine. Maybe the little s*** will think next before he steals s*** at gun point and puts other's lives on the line to get what he wants.
Sanity is a one trick pony, all you get with it is rational thought, but with crazy the sky's the limit.

Mitsukiba
10 months ago#98
MajesticFerret posted...
18 y/o Dayonn Davis from Georgia was given a HEFTY PRISON SENTENCE of 5 YEARS after he stole a $100 pair of shoes in an armed robbery

He WOULD have gotten a less severe sentence...if his robbery wasn't armed. Armed robbery changes the stakes quite a bit.

You see...stealing shoes is one thing. Threatening to KILL someone over said shoes and carrying the propensity to murder cops if they try and stop him is another.

5 yrs is perfectly fine. Maybe the little s*** will think next before he steals s*** at gun point and puts other's lives on the line to get what he wants.

Read some more. If even gave up his accomplice and he himself didn’t have a gun apparently.

User Info: MajesticFerret

MajesticFerret
10 months ago#99
Mitsukiba posted...
MajesticFerret posted...

Read some more. If even gave up his accomplice and he himself didn’t have a gun apparently.

I did, and it never said he wasn't aware his accomplice wouldn't have the gun, so it still counts as a joint armed robbery.

Also, he "sold" his friend out, but the person he sold out was cleared by the victim.

This means either the victim has a REALLY bad memory, or the kid lied and stood someone up.

For the record, I think the greatest injustice in our system is not the actual justice system but the rules we have allowed employers to make regarding criminals.

If you served the time, you should come out with a clean slate. The problem with prison is less in prison and more related to the free markets perception of those with a criminal record. People make mistakes, and employers shouldn't not hire them for life due to their past mistakes if hey already paid for it.

A law should be passed to either erase criminals records from freely accessible employer data or pass a law that not hiring based solely on criminal record is discrimination.

The kid deserves to serve some time for what he did, but I do agree that it's bulls*** how much it'll ruin his career when 5yrs in prison is more than enough punishment.
Sanity is a one trick pony, all you get with it is rational thought, but with crazy the sky's the limit.

User Info: Stonedwolfed

Stonedwolfed
10 months ago#100
SaikyoStyle posted...
Somehow, one person still manages to see this story as an attack on white people.

Just to get technical. And if there's a second there's a second. But it's not "the board".
Red & Orca "So what you're saying is...you hate lobsters?"
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. 18 y/o Black Kid with NO RECORD gets 5 YEARS in PRISON for Stealing NIKE SHOES!.
  • Topic Archived