This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

18 y/o Black Kid with NO RECORD gets 5 YEARS in PRISON for Stealing NIKE SHOES!.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. 18 y/o Black Kid with NO RECORD gets 5 YEARS in PRISON for Stealing NIKE SHOES!.

User Info: Mitsukiba

Mitsukiba
1 month ago#81
Scorpion122178 posted...
Heineken14 posted...
Scorpion122178 posted...
Heineken14 posted...
In a better world, this dude wouldn't get 5 years and would instead be rehabbed... but we have for-profit prisons here and now this guy will almost certainly come out of his sentence a life long criminal going in and out of prison.

thats probably true. But prison isn't only about rehabilitation its also about punishment. He has to suffer some sort of punishment for a being a party to an armed robbery. Hopefully he gets his head out of his ass while he's in there, get parole for good behavior and decides to turn his life around after he gets out.

Let's be real here.... we both know this isn't going to happen. More than likely he's going to fall in with some prison gangs, not have s*** to do when he gets out, and goes back to crime because it's all he can do, only to get caught and end up back in prison because now he has a record.

And if he does that's on him and nobody else. He's still a person capable of rational thought and has free will. If even after this he learns nothing and continues to commit crimes then maybe he should spend the rest of his life in and out of prison.

Now I agree black people have a raw deal when it comes to the criminal justice system, and I fully support any black man convicted and sentenced for a non violent drug crime to be released and have the record expunged. But this isn't that. He went into a store with his buddy who he knew was armed and robbed the place. Over shoes.... Fair, next.

Feels like you’re underestimating the viciousness of this cycle. But he robbed an individual for some shoes. He also did not have a gun. They can’t use armed robbery as evidence if they don’t have... Uh... The evidence.
Nothing left here for me.

User Info: Vesperas

Vesperas
1 month ago#82
Hercular1 posted...
If he would have turned his "friend" in, who actually, you know, pulled out his weapon and committed armed robbery, he may have gotten a reduced sentance.

Also, don't rob people, and you won't go to jail. Jesus Christ, what is do f***ing hard to understand with dumbass people.

Ty.

Democrats simping with criminal vermin, but need to point out his skin color as if stealing penalties need some reverse affirmative action. But let's forget THEY HAD A GUN, isn't that super duper evil for you guys?
Fierce Uprising's Legendary Leader and undisputed best MGO3 Sniper.
NA PS4 PSN: Vesperas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XyvA3xMG6I (10 secsonds)

User Info: Scorpion122178

Scorpion122178
1 month ago#83
Mitsukiba posted...
Scorpion122178 posted...
Heineken14 posted...
Scorpion122178 posted...
Heineken14 posted...
In a better world, this dude wouldn't get 5 years and would instead be rehabbed... but we have for-profit prisons here and now this guy will almost certainly come out of his sentence a life long criminal going in and out of prison.

thats probably true. But prison isn't only about rehabilitation its also about punishment. He has to suffer some sort of punishment for a being a party to an armed robbery. Hopefully he gets his head out of his ass while he's in there, get parole for good behavior and decides to turn his life around after he gets out.

Let's be real here.... we both know this isn't going to happen. More than likely he's going to fall in with some prison gangs, not have s*** to do when he gets out, and goes back to crime because it's all he can do, only to get caught and end up back in prison because now he has a record.

And if he does that's on him and nobody else. He's still a person capable of rational thought and has free will. If even after this he learns nothing and continues to commit crimes then maybe he should spend the rest of his life in and out of prison.

Now I agree black people have a raw deal when it comes to the criminal justice system, and I fully support any black man convicted and sentenced for a non violent drug crime to be released and have the record expunged. But this isn't that. He went into a store with his buddy who he knew was armed and robbed the place. Over shoes.... Fair, next.

Feels like you’re underestimating the viciousness of this cycle. But he robbed an individual.

I appreciate the viscousness of it but there isn't anything we can do about it. It's up to him. Even if he only got 2 years he'd still have a record when he got out and still face the same problem.

The only alternative is what? Just letting him and all other young black men get a free mulligan for violent crimes?
Currently playing: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Total War: Warhammer, Halo 3, Metroid: Return of Samus
FC: 2638 - 1204 - 7548

User Info: SaikyoStyle

SaikyoStyle
1 month ago#84
Scorpion122178 posted...
SaikyoStyle posted...
A white kid would have gotten 30 days probation...

for armed robbery? I don't think thats really fair to say. White collar crimes probably do need to have harsher punishments but when white people commit violent crimes they get the book thrown at them too.

Wouldn’t have been charged for armed robbery or tried as an adult...
Orlando City/USA Soccer
Dukat/Madred 2020. Make Cardassia Great Again!

User Info: Vesperas

Vesperas
1 month ago#85
zhukov1943 posted...
lol, "these shoes is took."

We need more of this on the streets. Foo Shore.
Fierce Uprising's Legendary Leader and undisputed best MGO3 Sniper.
NA PS4 PSN: Vesperas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XyvA3xMG6I (10 secsonds)

User Info: Mitsukiba

Mitsukiba
1 month ago#86
SaikyoStyle posted...
Scorpion122178 posted...
SaikyoStyle posted...

for armed robbery? I don't think thats really fair to say. White collar crimes probably do need to have harsher punishments but when white people commit violent crimes they get the book thrown at them too.

Does he have a history or probation and house arrest? Try some smaller steps first? De-escalate the charges or something. 5 years is too long for a person to reflect it’ll just turn into resentment. The kid may very well already understand the consequences of his crimes.

Vesperas posted...
zhukov1943 posted...

I’m pretty sure it’s: “Fa’ sho’.”
Nothing left here for me.

User Info: SaikyoStyle

SaikyoStyle
1 month ago#87
Mitsukiba posted...
SaikyoStyle posted...
Scorpion122178 posted...
SaikyoStyle posted...

Does he have a history or probation and house arrest? Try some smaller steps first?

Sure why not? Might even get a reduced sentence if his parents are in a high enough income bracket...
Orlando City/USA Soccer
Dukat/Madred 2020. Make Cardassia Great Again!

User Info: LawnNinja

LawnNinja
1 month ago#88
Scorpion122178 posted...
Mitsukiba posted...
Scorpion122178 posted...
Heineken14 posted...
Scorpion122178 posted...
Heineken14 posted...

Feels like you’re underestimating the viciousness of this cycle. But he robbed an individual.

I appreciate the viscousness of it but there isn't anything we can do about it. It's up to him. Even if he only got 2 years he'd still have a record when he got out and still face the same problem.

The only alternative is what? Just letting him and all other young black men get a free mulligan for violent crimes?

Sure there is. We can advocate for ending the horrendously sick industry of for-profit prisons.

When your stocks are traded and valued by how many people are in jail, you are incentivized to lobby lawmakers to ensure that there is a constant stream of inmates to fill up your prisons.

This is the real reason we still push on with our disastrous War on Drugs™ and why the state of black America sees so little improvement despite having a light shown on it for decades.

The United States houses a full quarter of the world's prisoners, despite housing less than 5% of the world's people, and it's because we've allowed prison to become a business. We value the Almighty Dollar more than the human lives destroyed by a revolving-door incarceration industry. If we want that to change, we need to hit prison profiteers where it hurts—in their bank accounts.
"It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

User Info: Heineken14

Heineken14
1 month ago#89
Mitsukiba posted...
SaikyoStyle posted...
Scorpion122178 posted...
SaikyoStyle posted...

Does he have a history or probation and house arrest? Try some smaller steps first?

Vesperas posted...
zhukov1943 posted...

I’m pretty sure it’s: “Fa’ sho’.”

Actually wouldn't it be....

*glasses*

Fa shoe.....

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.

User Info: ChestnutsAreHot

ChestnutsAreHot
1 month ago#90
Supsegar posted...
Oh no, a black kid commit an armed robbery and he got 5 years

Its all the fault of those white supremacists!

Fun fact: if you dont break the law, you are much less likely to be prosecuted

This. </topic>
The Nintendo Switch is the gaming system of the Alt-right.
https://image.ibb.co/kPUCn7/gamefaqs_sig.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. 18 y/o Black Kid with NO RECORD gets 5 YEARS in PRISON for Stealing NIKE SHOES!.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived