This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Judge: Transgender People A Protected Class

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Judge: Transgender People A Protected Class

User Info: onemoment1985

onemoment1985
3 months ago#1
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/transgender-ban-trump-military_us_5ad1572ee4b0edca2cb9eea1

...And The Military Can’t Enact Trump Ban.

A federal judge late Friday barred the federal government from implementing President Donald Trump’s ban on transgender members of the military, finding that the ban had to be subject to a careful court review before implementation because of the history of discrimination against transgender individuals.

U.S. District Judge Marsha Pechman of the Western District of Washington ruled that transgender people were a protected class and that the injunctions against the implementation of the ban that had been issued in December should remain in place. She wrote that there was a “long and well-recognized” history of discrimination and systemic oppression against transgender people, that discrimination against transgender people was clearly “unrelated to their ability to perform and contribute to society,” that transgender people have immutable characteristics and that they lacked relative political power.

“Transgender people have long been forced to live in silence, or to come out and face the threat of overwhelming discrimination,” Pechman wrote.

“The Court also rules that, because transgender people have long been subjected to systemic oppression and forced to live in silence, they are a protected class. Therefore, any attempt to exclude them from military service will be looked at with the highest level of care, and will be subject to the Court’s ‘strict scrutiny.’ This means that before Defendants can implement the Ban, they must show that it was sincerely motivated by compelling interests, rather than by prejudice or stereotype, and that it is narrowly tailored to achieve those interests,” Pechman wrote.
LOL name: OneMoMan
PSN:onemoment

onemoment1985
3 months ago#2
While Trump had tweeted that he consulted generals and military experts about the ban, Pechman wrote that the government had “failed to identify even one General or military expert he consulted, despite having been ordered to do so repeatedly.”

Noting that Pentagon officials were surprised by the announcement and that Defense Secretary Jim Mattis got a heads up only one day beforehand, the judge wrote that she “is led to conclude that the Ban was devised by the President, and the President alone.”

Sharon McGowan, a former top official in the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division who now works as director of strategy for Lambda Legal, wrote that Pechman “cut through the nonsense,” recognizing that the plan announced by the military was just a dressed-up version of Trump’s original ban.

In short, Trump goofed again.

User Info: mercurydude

mercurydude
3 months ago#3
Good news.

By singling them out for scapegoating (multiple times, no less), that bigoted piece of s*** may have inadvertently advanced transgender rights.
These children that you spit on as they try to change their worlds are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through. - Bowie
(message deleted)

onemoment1985
3 months ago#5
1Y2i3m0d posted...
So the organization assigned to protect the people cannot be at it's best because of one protected minority?

I don't care how progressive you are, do at your own expense, not at the expense of national security. We're talking about a minority of people who are 40+% likely to kill themselves according to research. Pretty soon airlines will be forced to hire trans pilots too. The suicide crash into the ocean with 220 passengers will probably be blamed on all the harsh treatment from conservatives though.

Why is this at the expense of national security.

User Info: crowkillers

crowkillers
3 months ago#6
1Y2i3m0d posted...
So the organization assigned to protect the people cannot be at it's best because of one protected minority?

I don't care how progressive you are, do at your own expense, not at the expense of national security. We're talking about a minority of people who are 40+% likely to kill themselves according to research. Pretty soon airlines will be forced to hire trans pilots too. The suicide crash into the ocean with 220 passengers will probably be blamed on all the harsh treatment from conservatives though.

I am all for transgender rights, but your points are very valid...

User Info: Tenlaar

Tenlaar
3 months ago#7
1Y2i3m0d posted...

As I understand it, what you're saying sounds reasonable...until you factor in that it is not based on the reality of many trans people already serving and the military itself determining that trans service members do not hinder their ability to do their job.

User Info: yzman

yzman
3 months ago#8
1Y2i3m0d posted...

Your fearmongering would work better if these people weren't already in the military. Sorry you sound like such a joke right now.
As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today, i wish I wish he'd go away

User Info: Garioshi

Garioshi
3 months ago#9
1Y2i3m0d posted...

National security, right. Because if even one soldier is trans, some unknown country is going to invade Utah.
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Judge: Transgender People A Protected Class

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived