This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sweden preparing to go to war with Russia

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Sweden preparing to go to war with Russia

User Info: JoCrazy

JoCrazy
4 weeks ago#1
https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/a3n8y8/sweden-war-russia-leaflets

The Swedish government will distribute leaflets to the country’s 4.7 million households later this year explaining what to do if war breaks out with Russia, the Civil Contingencies Agency in Stockholm said Thursday.

The announcement comes in the middle of a heated parliamentary election campaign, and amid a renewed fear of hostilities with its eastern neighbor.

The leaflets will also explain how Swedes should react in a terror attack, after a natural disaster or following a cyberattack against critical infrastructure.

The move was prompted in part by the “security situation” in the Baltic Sea, officials told CNN.

Russia has built up a significant military presence on its western border in recent months.

The leaflets will suggest preparing long-abandoned Cold War bunkers and stockpiling food, water, and blankets.

“There is a significantly more complex threat with climate change, terror attacks, pandemics and manipulation of information,” Christina Andersson, of the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency, told the Aftonbladet newspaper. “People need to learn and know about how to deal with it.”

The leaflet drop is part of a wider effort by Stockholm to revamp its defenses in light of increased Kremlin aggression:

- Last November the Swedish government committed $1 billion to Raytheon’s Patriot missile defense system, which will replace the U.S.-made Hawk missile system currently in use. The system will be operational by 2025.

- Sweden launched its largest war games in 20 years last September, boasting more than 20,000 troops. At the same time, Russia conducted its own massive war games with an official count of 13,000 troops. NATO subsequently said the number of troops was much higher.

- Citing increased Russian aggression, the government in March reintroduced the draft, with 4,000 young people selected for military service each year starting in 2018.

- Sweden reintroduced a permanent military presence on the strategically important island of Gotland in 2016. Positioned in the Baltic Sea, the island would likely be a key target for Moscow should a conflict break out between Russia and NATO.

- Sweden is not a NATO member, but the Nordic country has in recent years drawn closer to the alliance to counter rising tensions with Russia.
X-Box One Gamertag: KrankDaddy - Currently playing: Mass Effect, WWE 2K17, GTA Online
https://www.twitch.tv/krankdaddy & https://beam.pro/KrankDaddy

User Info: Hyena 20

Hyena 20
4 weeks ago#2
Oh, great. Are we going to see guides to preventing/dealing with nukes, chemical, and biological weapons and blast injuries in the medical books and first aid kit books, again, like we had back in the 60's and 70's?
Meet Captain Euro, the coolest superhero this side of Aquaman!~~Portal of Evil
[Disillusioned Independent]

User Info: VullabySaysHi

VullabySaysHi
4 weeks ago#3
Russia cares about Sweden?

If anything it would be the Baltic States.
Just some hype.

User Info: AndreLeGeant

AndreLeGeant
4 weeks ago#4
JoCrazy posted...
The leaflets will also explain how Swedes should react in a terror attack, after a natural disaster or following a cyberattack against critical infrastructure.
"Not only is Andre way smarter than you, he's also way smarter than you think you are." - SaikyoStyle

User Info: LewsTheDragon

LewsTheDragon
4 weeks ago#5
Not great. I will say, however, that I don't like this conflation:

JoCrazy posted...
Russia has built up a significant military presence on its western border in recent months.

JoCrazy posted...
The leaflet drop is part of a wider effort by Stockholm to revamp its defenses in light of increased Kremlin aggression:

Building military presence within your own border is not aggression, in any meaningful sense of the word.
Faith means not wanting to know what is true. Friedrich Nietzsche
I'm a polyatheist -- there are many gods I don't believe in.

User Info: DK DeathKnight

DK DeathKnight
4 weeks ago#6
This is why Countries get extremely nervous and prepare for the worst when a foreign army builds up on their borders, same reason why China will push back if the US goes to war with North Korea and invades.
PSN: CrowsZero_
Playing: League of Legends, Tokiden: Kiwami, Bloodborne.

User Info: Coastal_elite

Coastal_elite
4 weeks ago#7
Aww. Swenden's cute. It's like a puppy preparing to fight a tiger.

I hope nothing bad happens :(

User Info: blood_and_bones

blood_and_bones
4 weeks ago#8
LewsTheDragon posted...
Not great. I will say, however, that I don't like this conflation:

JoCrazy posted...

JoCrazy posted...

Building military presence within your own border is not aggression, in any meaningful sense of the word.

I think they are just getting a message out that they are prepared.

User Info: IamRevan24

IamRevan24
4 weeks ago#9
Come on Sweden, you know better than that.
Make Love, Not Walls
Dokkan Battle GLB: 3182186564

User Info: darkace77450

darkace77450
4 weeks ago#10
Misleading topic title is misleading.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Sweden preparing to go to war with Russia

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived