This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should hate speech be considered free speech?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Should hate speech be considered free speech?

User Info: Dr_RudyMjolnir

Dr_RudyMjolnir
5 months ago#1
Well? - Results (54 votes)
Yes
74.07% (40 votes)
No
25.93% (14 votes)
This poll is now closed.
IP locked, baby!
Biggest Brianne de Chateau fanboy in the Dragon Ball fanbase.

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
5 months ago#2
as long as its not done to incite violence, yes.

you can stand on a soapbox and scream how much you hate a religion/race/gender/sexual orientation all you want, but if you are trying to encourage people to attack said religion/race/gender/sexual orientation then its illegal.
People die when they are killed.
Among horse, Red Hare. Among men, Lu Bu.

User Info: slaity

slaity
5 months ago#3
Only if the speaker can be identified personally.

I don't consider people writing stupid sh*t hiding behind the computer screen is making a "speech"
if I'm always right I learn nothing, if I'm wrong twice I learn 2 things

User Info: fftstudent

fftstudent
5 months ago#4
The whole point of Hate Speech is that it's open to interpretation.

What I consider Hateful Speech, is radically different from what You consider Hateful speech.

What the f*** is Hate Speech anyway? Who gets to decide, what is Hate speech? Can you trust that person or persons to be 100% unbiased when deciding what is and what isn't Hate Speech?

This is a can of worms, we don't want to open.
Nothing of Great value & Worth was ever gained without some form of chance taking or risk.

User Info: masticatingman

masticatingman
5 months ago#5
Yes, of course. Free is free, and the courts would side with me currently, which is all that matters here.

Even though free speech is a very complicated subject in the U.S., basically, it'll never be controlled like 'hate speech' is in, say, Germany. At least not anytime soon. That's because the Supreme Court has already set a very high bar for what is actually unacceptable in free speech. It's ridiculously high to 'violate'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Supreme_Court_cases_involving_the_First_Amendment#Freedom_of_speech

I personally think it's worrying that so many people are calling for people to get fired from their jobs simply for expressing political opinions. And before you project on to me, that concept works both ways, for conservatives and liberals.
I don't really like to dispute facts, just rearrange them as necessary. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

User Info: Hexagon

Hexagon
5 months ago#6
Of course it's free speech, but when you lose your job and reputation and ruin your life don't blame free speech. At least the government didn't throw you in jail right?

User Info: Stonedwolfed

Stonedwolfed
5 months ago#7
Your answer for you.

https://i.imgur.com/G85FtES.jpg
Understanding the rationality of SJWs is like trying to smell the colour 9.
Locating the humanity of neo-Nazis is like finding the Unicorns' Graveyard.

User Info: Stonedwolfed

Stonedwolfed
5 months ago#8
fftstudent posted...
What the f*** is Hate Speech anyway? Who gets to decide, what is Hate speech?

SJW: "Christians who say gays shouldn't marry is HATE SPEECH!"

Troll: "Many Muslims feel the same way"

SJW: "Because that's part of their ancient culture, you trying denying them that is HATE SPEECH!"

And that's the problem with hate speech, people will use logical contortions, false equivalences, intersectionality, and outright magical thinking, anything to keep hate speech defined exclusively for political and social causes they disagree with.

So an SJW will see a modern neo-Nazi symbol as hate speech, even one that's not expressly neo-Nazi but the lower-end type ethnostate. No ifs, no buts, it's a symbol of hate and violence and racism. But the same person will never consider a Che t-shirt a variant of hate iconography, despite Che saying many deeply racist things over the years and being inextricably linked with lots and lots of Kangaroo Court killings.

People are f***ing absurd and I'm starting to agree with mother! it's time for a refresh.
Understanding the rationality of SJWs is like trying to smell the colour 9.
Locating the humanity of neo-Nazis is like finding the Unicorns' Graveyard.

User Info: Kia123Amini

Kia123Amini
5 months ago#9
Stonedwolfed posted...
fftstudent posted...
What the f*** is Hate Speech anyway? Who gets to decide, what is Hate speech?

SJW: "Christians who say gays shouldn't marry is HATE SPEECH!"

Troll: "Many Muslims feel the same way"

SJW: "Because that's part of their ancient culture, you trying denying them that is HATE SPEECH!"

And that's the problem with hate speech, people will use logical contortions, false equivalences, intersectionality, and outright magical thinking, anything to keep hate speech defined exclusively for political and social causes they disagree with.

So an SJW will see a modern neo-Nazi symbol as hate speech, even one that's not expressly neo-Nazi but the lower-end type ethnostate. No ifs, no buts, it's a symbol of hate and violence and racism. But the same person will never consider a Che t-shirt a variant of hate iconography, despite Che saying many deeply racist things over the years and being inextricably linked with lots and lots of Kangaroo Court killings.

People are f***ing absurd and I'm starting to agree with mother! it's time for a refresh.
No, it's more like, "then those Muslim cultures are wrong about that perspective and we shouldn't strive to emulate that. Emulating people when you know they're wrong is pretty stupid, honestly.

Also wait, wait, wait, are you saying that the Swastika is not a hateful symbol? I just... really want to be clear here.
\m/ RIP Ronnie James Dio, July 1942-May 2010. I hope you enjoyed your unparalleled musicianship while it lasted (all 67 years, dude). \m/

User Info: PhlogPyro

PhlogPyro
5 months ago#10
Hexagon posted...
Of course it's free speech, but when you lose your job and reputation and ruin your life don't blame free speech. At least the government didn't throw you in jail right?
MH IGN: Pyro || HR 900+ || Insect Glaive
Hunters' Hub Discord server: https://discord.gg/ffuebqQ
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Should hate speech be considered free speech?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived