This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Maine Gives Notice to Around 6,000 Welfare Recipients

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Maine Gives Notice to Around 6,000 Welfare Recipients

User Info: -Kicksave-

-Kicksave-
3 years ago#31
So no solutions, just excuses as to why they should sit on their ass.

Do you guys even read your own words. Try again.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Rico, YOU know what to DO!

User Info: Nitro378

Nitro378
3 years ago#32
-Kicksave- posted...

My solution is to totally restructure and centralise the economy but since that isn't going to happen, what exactly do you want? How can these people be expected to work jobs that don't exist, and if they fail that impossible task you punish them?
Owen Jones 2015 --- Warren/Sanders 2016
Number of 30-day suspensions received for talking about Zionism: 3

-Kicksave-
3 years ago#33
So your excuse is "it's too hard to create communism in the US therefore they should just do nothing."

Or you know, have them volunteer like one of the potential ways to fill the requirement. Build a playground. Deliver food to the elderly/homeless. Clean up some graffiti. "No, that won't work because....<insert excuse>"

User Info: Nitro378

Nitro378
3 years ago#34
I'm not against volunteering in principle but the way this will actually work out is these people will just get basically held hostage for their benefits and forced to work some absolute trash job at McDs or a retail store or something for no money, giving a massive handout to corporations and helping them to lay off even more people since they now have a captive source of slave labour that they don't have to pay a cent for. I should know because they already did it here in the UK.
Owen Jones 2015 --- Warren/Sanders 2016
Number of 30-day suspensions received for talking about Zionism: 3

User Info: Triad

Triad
3 years ago#35
-Kicksave- posted...

Most of them work, though, as Maverick said. You're working off of a oversimplification and proposing solutions that literally already happen.
The case against Clevinger was open and shut. The only thing missing was something to charge him with.

-Kicksave-
3 years ago#36
Did I say volunteer at a company? Volunteer work for charity.

I'm still LOLing at people who think training (doesn't matter what kind) is somehow worse for your job prospects than sitting at home watching a soap opera collecting paychecks.

You guys will come up with ANY excuse to not have someone to lift a finger.

-Kicksave-
3 years ago#37
Triad posted...
Most of them work, though, as Maverick said. You're working off of a oversimplification and proposing solutions that literally already happen.

Read the original post. In most places, productive work is a requirement (thanks based Bill Clinton), but it was not the practice in this particular cesspool. Now it is changing to what has been successful elsewhere, and all I see are knee-jerk posters whining about that shouldn't be. LMAO.

User Info: R_Nelly

R_Nelly
3 years ago#38
DragulaRULEZ posted...
LuigisBro posted...
yes cause the 148 hours they have left for the rest of the week isn't enough time to go find a job

Good thing you factored in the time they'd normally be asleep, because these lazy bums can rest when they're dead.

It's 20 hours per week....if they can't find the time to do 20 hours of training/volunteer work per week, look for a job and sleep, I don't see how it'd be possible for them to work a full-time job and sleep. If you slept 8 hours per day, volunteer or attended a job training program for 4 hours per day, you'd still have at least 4-6 hours to look for work and still have at least a few hours of downtime. Please join the rest of us in the real world.

User Info: R_Nelly

R_Nelly
3 years ago#39
Maverick3000 posted...
-Kicksave- posted...

What kind of joke entitlement bottom feeders don't want to train welfare recipients for work because "training costs money".

No, because "training programs" are a waste of time.

Seriously, this isn't some community college course to a real degree we are talking about but "night classes" about how to make a resume.

The training programs I've seen often send works out to work full or part time jobs at minimum wage to gain experience in varied job positions. The ones I've seen usually last from 9 weeks to a year. The job itself doesn't pay them but the training program is granted federal or state funds to pay them. At the end of the job training they're either offered a job or given a good recommendation. It's very helpful to people who don't have any real job experience and would be going in with just a blank resume.

User Info: Ivashanko

Ivashanko
3 years ago#40
My solution is to totally restructure and centralise the economy but since that isn't going to happen, what exactly do you want? How can these people be expected to work jobs that don't exist, and if they fail that impossible task you punish them?

Total centralization has traditionally massively failed. I believe that one day, with technological improvements, our system of labour might entirely disappear, but as for not it is not feasible or desirable.

And while I know little about this bill, or indeed about welfare in the United States in general, I would suppose the other side would say that they aren't being punished. They are just not receiving what they never earned.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Maine Gives Notice to Around 6,000 Welfare Recipients

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived