This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Maine Gives Notice to Around 6,000 Welfare Recipients

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Maine Gives Notice to Around 6,000 Welfare Recipients

User Info: DragulaRULEZ

DragulaRULEZ
3 years ago#1
http://conservativetribune.com/breaking-free-ride-to-halt/

Gov. Paul LePage is reinstating a law that says any single, able bodied person, between 18 and 50 must either work, volunteer, or enroll in an employment training program for 20 hours per week in order to continue to receive benefits.

Conservatives on Facebook are salivating over this. It's like they're screaming at the kids for tracking mud into the house while Nestle, Walmart, and GE run a train on them. Sorry for the x-rated political cartoon I just put in your head.
"I'm going to have to disagree with everything you say from now on. Go ahead, say babies shouldn't be skinned alive, see which side I'm on."

User Info: RandomActofFail

RandomActofFail
3 years ago#2
Seems fair tbqh.
"Whoever becomes imbued with a noble idea kindles a flame from which other torches are lit"
~Henry George

User Info: LuigisBro

LuigisBro
3 years ago#3
what's so bad about making these people go to some training program when lack of skills is why these people can't get a job?
2015 megatons - Nintendo goes 3rd party, Nintendo Paywall, real Pokemon game for iOS

User Info: Maverick3000

Maverick3000
3 years ago#4
Yes, because making people volunteer is going to help them find a job
we're not all geniuses like you Maverick. >_> - AWrulez

User Info: LuigisBro

LuigisBro
3 years ago#5
yes cause the 148 hours they have left for the rest of the week isn't enough time to go find a job
2015 megatons - Nintendo goes 3rd party, Nintendo Paywall, real Pokemon game for iOS

User Info: DragulaRULEZ

DragulaRULEZ
3 years ago#6
LuigisBro posted...
yes cause the 148 hours they have left for the rest of the week isn't enough time to go find a job

Good thing you factored in the time they'd normally be asleep, because these lazy bums can rest when they're dead.
"I'm going to have to disagree with everything you say from now on. Go ahead, say babies shouldn't be skinned alive, see which side I'm on."

User Info: CoyoteTheGreat

CoyoteTheGreat
3 years ago#7
Note to Fiscal Conservatives: Employment training programs are not free. When you consider that they must be staffed by people paid at levels far above what making welfare gets you, the locations for them must be leased, materials and curriculum need to be provided, ect, you realize that it only ramps up the cost far beyond what welfare normally would be.
Disobedience is the stamp of the hero. -Ragnar Redbeard
Also, this is Kagata.

User Info: willythemailboy

willythemailboy
3 years ago#8
Maverick3000 posted...
Yes, because making people volunteer is going to help them find a job

Actually, volunteering is often a good way to add to a resume, avoid blank zones of unemployment, learn skills or keep skills current, and meet new people. Or at the very least establish a "past employer" as a reference to use when looking for a paying job.

Don't think "serving soup at the homeless shelter", think "interning at the local headquarters of your party of choice".
He who laughs last, thinks fastest.

User Info: Maverick3000

Maverick3000
3 years ago#9
DragulaRULEZ posted...
LuigisBro posted...

Good thing you factored in the time they'd normally be asleep, because these lazy bums can rest when they're dead.

Not to mention I'm going to assume those 20 hours are going to be in the day, where people will need all the time they need to do stuff to get them a job
we're not all geniuses like you Maverick. >_> - AWrulez

User Info: Ivashanko

Ivashanko
3 years ago#10
Depending on how 'able bodied' is defined, and if there is some grace period for those who were recently fired, and if the state helps pay for employment training programs, this might not be a terrible idea. There should also be some consideration to those that are spending large amounts of time a week looking for work, however.

Note to Fiscal Conservatives: Employment training programs are not free. When you consider that they must be staffed by people paid at levels far above what making welfare gets you, the locations for them must be leased, materials and curriculum need to be provided, ect, you realize that it only ramps up the cost far beyond what welfare normally would be.

The hope is that, in the long run, such training programs could bring down costs by eventually significantly decreasing the amount of people who are on welfare. Now, I believe that some unemployment is not only structural but healthy, so I do not think it will work that way, but giving access to training programs for people is good just on its own.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Maine Gives Notice to Around 6,000 Welfare Recipients

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived