This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. What are the arguments AGAINST switching to popular vote?

User Info: Mephsuit

Mephsuit
8 years ago#1
Are there considerable arguments to keeping the electoral college in favor of the popular vote?
"Mephsuit, as he so often is, is right." - Token sane 261 member Saber_Tiger a.k.a. SST

User Info: OmfgitsBlah

OmfgitsBlah
8 years ago#2
Mephsuit posted...
Are there considerable arguments to keeping the electoral college in favor of the popular vote?

Different = Bad, harder to campaign, Change is bad, Social Inertia, constitutional adherency.
If inflaton turns $3 into $0, then $6 turns into $3. -Orca

User Info: Nitro378

Nitro378
8 years ago#3
electoral college helps republicans win by disenfranchising urban voters
???
profit
Anyone but Cameron/Clegg 2015
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/Tails82x/SFD/sadchromeo6.png

User Info: LinkMaster2703

LinkMaster2703
8 years ago#4
From what I understand, it pretty much nullifies the impact small states have on an election. For instance, Rhode Island's population makes up about 0.3% of the U.S. population, but it's 4 electoral votes means it accounts for 0.7% of the total electoral votes. It doesn't seem like a big difference, but when you factor in all the small states it adds up.
Currently Playing: None
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/C_Dalke.png

User Info: Nitro378

Nitro378
8 years ago#5
LinkMaster2703 posted...
From what I understand, it pretty much nullifies the impact small states have on an election. For instance, Rhode Island's population makes up about 0.3% of the U.S. population, but it's 4 electoral votes means it accounts for 0.7% of the total electoral votes. It doesn't seem like a big difference, but when you factor in all the small states it adds up.

How is it unfair that small states should have less say when they have less people in them

Electoral college is amazingly undemocratic
Anyone but Cameron/Clegg 2015
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/Tails82x/SFD/sadchromeo6.png

User Info: Justin2Krelian

Justin2Krelian
8 years ago#6
So far I can only think of two:
-People would be more comfortable voting for a third party in a Safe state, but that barely happens anyway, so it's moot.
-Sandy made me think of this, but if a (statewide) storm hits badly, it won't effect the outcome unless it's a very close swing state.

User Info: ItsHundreth

ItsHundreth
8 years ago#7
Campaigning would take place primarily in large metropolitan centers. You'd try to win the vote of only as many people as possible as opposed to identifying swing states that can hopefully represent a wider pool of populace. Both have their problems IMO.

User Info: GoemonFan471986

GoemonFan471986
8 years ago#8
Why do people think they're smarter than the Founding Fathers? Without the Electoral College we'd have big cities dominating the election, and we'd have ended up with Al Gore as president.

A better reform: have all states split their electoral votes by congressional district the way Maine and Nebraska do.

User Info: LinkMaster2703

LinkMaster2703
8 years ago#9
Nitro378 posted...
LinkMaster2703 posted...

How is it unfair that small states should have less say when they have less people in them

Electoral college is amazingly undemocratic

I think it goes back to the creation of the constitution, small states felt that they weren't equally represented, which was a big reason that the U.S. wanted to break away from England in the first place. Also, candidates would have no reason to campaign in more rural areas of the country.
Currently Playing: None
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/C_Dalke.png

User Info: aarrgus

aarrgus
8 years ago#10
GoemonFan471986 posted...
Why do people think they're smarter than the Founding Fathers? Without the Electoral College we'd have big cities dominating the election, and we'd have ended up with Al Gore as president.

A better reform: have all states split their electoral votes by congressional district the way Maine and Nebraska do.

Better? Introducing more complexity in the system is better?

And instead we ended up with George W. Bush as President. Yea we really dodged a bullet with that one didn't we....
Last night I was lying in bed, staring at the stars, and I wondered... Where the **** is my roof?
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. What are the arguments AGAINST switching to popular vote?
  • Topic Archived