• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5 Royal
  3. Are the two first persona games worth it?

User Info: Mateo_haro

Mateo_haro
1 week ago#1
I got into the franchise back when I got my Vita and P4 Golden was said to be the best game in the system.
Then I got P3 and years later I bought a PS4 just to play P5.

I see P1 and P2 in the Vita store for 20 dollars which is kind of expensive for such old games. Are they still good enough or do they feel too outdated?

User Info: Shananagainz

Shananagainz
1 week ago#2
I would say they’re generally solid outside of some relics of old game design.

The social link system as you know it in the modern games isn’t really a thing and they feel more like traditional RPGs in that sense.

Overall, I would say it’s worth trying them out. Keep in mind that Persona 2 comes in two games: Innocent Sin has a remake for the PSP and Eternal Punishment is a PSOne classic since the PSP remake was never ported to the west.
I'm currently into making Asian food! Give me ideas on what to make!
Currently Playing: Animal Crossing New Horizons, Persona 5: Royal, Persona 3 FES Yakuza 6.

User Info: OverlordDeath

OverlordDeath
1 week ago#3
Dunno about P1, but 2s said to have a great story too. Keep in mind though that technically P2 has two games: Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. For some strange reason, we got the ps1 version of EP(technically the 2nd game) and the PSP remake of Innocent Sin(technically the 1st). The ps1 IS and PSP EP are sadly and stupidly Japan exclusive. Dunno how necessary playing IS first is, though. Also can't say anything about their gameplay.

Can say that they are rather different, though. Persona 3 can basically be considered a reboot of the series. If you get 1/2, be ready for entirely different experiences.

User Info: Kalanyr

Kalanyr
1 week ago#4
I'd say if you like Dungeon Crawler JRPGs , they hold up well enough. Though be aware that Persona and P2:IS are proper PSP Games and P2:EP is a PS Classic, so the latter is a noticeable step down after playing Persona and P2:IS (which are chronologically first).
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Mateo_haro

Mateo_haro
1 week ago#5
Thank you for the answers. I think I will give them a try when I have the money.
I don't get why they charge 20 dollars for an old kind of unknown game while you can get the Final Fantasys of the same generation for half the price.

User Info: Atzenkiller

Atzenkiller
1 week ago#6
Just watch some videos of them on Youtube. They're extremely outdated and I remember trying the one released in the west for PSX some years ago. Yeah, it's not much fun to play at all and no matter how good the story might be, it can't make me overlook the horrible gameplay. Other games from the PS2 era like Nocturne have aged much better. Although it's also designed in a way that makes it a huge pain in the ass to play. But with codes and save states from using an emulator you can avoid the bulls*** and focus on the good parts. Not sure how you could do that with the Persona 2 games since the game design is the issue there.

And I don't think the original Persona games even have much in common at all with the later ones from 3 on. There's no high school dating sim stuff or anything else that P3 introduced. So if you're just looking for another SMT game to play, there's plenty of better options.

User Info: BlueSnow

BlueSnow
1 week ago#7
Hell no. They're unplayable.
REmake > 2 > 3 > 1 > 0 > Outbreak 1&2 > CV >> 4 > 5 > RE2 2019 > RE3 2020 >> Rev1 > Rev2 > ORC > 6 > 7

User Info: spikethedevil

spikethedevil
1 week ago#8
BlueSnow posted...
Hell no. They're unplayable.

Unplayable is objectively wrong.
A garbage pod!? It's a smegging garbage pod!

User Info: BlueSnow

BlueSnow
1 week ago#9
spikethedevil posted...

Unplayable is objectively wrong.

Tell that the guys who say Trails of Cold Steel looks like a PS1 game. In that case P1 and 2 look like Atari games.
REmake > 2 > 3 > 1 > 0 > Outbreak 1&2 > CV >> 4 > 5 > RE2 2019 > RE3 2020 >> Rev1 > Rev2 > ORC > 6 > 7

User Info: CptnJustc

CptnJustc
1 week ago#10
Not unless you're really interested in tiny slivers of lore. Like, characters occasionally referenced on TV shows in later games.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5 Royal
  3. Are the two first persona games worth it?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A