• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5 Royal
  3. Would P5R players recommend the Trails of Cold Steel series?

User Info: aPHAT

aPHAT
1 week ago#1
I hear the games are pretty similar. But the aesthetics of the Cold Steel games turn me off a bit at first glance. However, I never really got the hype around Persona games either until I tried 5. So would someone who really enjoyed P5 enjoy these games?
Xbox Live GT: aPhat
PSN: a-PHAT

User Info: Faiyez

Faiyez
1 week ago#2
The graphics look pretty bad with generic character designs and atrocious animations. I could never pick up the series no matter how much people swear by it.
I think they've taken the freedom and liberty thing a BIT TOO FAR!
-GlowStormLion on Japan's kinks.

User Info: Ihelp

Ihelp
1 week ago#3
Faiyez posted...
The graphics look pretty bad with generic character designs and atrocious animations. I could never pick up the series no matter how much people swear by it.
I feel the same way about this game and Ys, although I gave a pass to the tales series because I liked Abyss but wouldn't recommend the new ones.
3ds: 1160-9915-1621
Chev4
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: BlueSnow

BlueSnow
1 week ago#4
Yes. It's also way better than Persona in my book. But, while probably being one of the closest to a Persona type game, it's still pretty different.
It has the daily calendar thing too, but not as deep as Persona. You don't play every day either.
You also go to school, but it's a military academy in a fantasy world.
It also has waifus and hanging out with people to strengthen your bonds, but the overall social life sim stuff isn't as big as it is in Persona.
And all that only really fits for Cold Steel 1 anyway. 2 and 3 are hella different.
REmake > 2 > 3 > 1 > 0 > Outbreak 1&2 > CV >> 4 > 5 > RE2 2019 > RE3 2020 >> Rev1 > Rev2 > ORC > 6 > 7

User Info: Heartfang

Heartfang
1 week ago#5
aPHAT posted...
I hear the games are pretty similar. But the aesthetics of the Cold Steel games turn me off a bit at first glance. However, I never really got the hype around Persona games either until I tried 5. So would someone who really enjoyed P5 enjoy these games?

It's incredible world building and long term storytelling, with one of the robust NPC cast I've ever experienced. You know how NPC dialogue updates throughout the game to tell small stories? Trails turns that up to 11. Just remember that Cold Steel is actually the sixth game in an interconnected series. So if you enjoy it I wouldn't recommend going past Cold Steel II before going back and playing or at least viewing summaries of the other games.

The combat is turn based on a 3D plane. Reminds me a lot of Grandia if you've ever played those games. There is a social aspect but it's no where near as extensive or developed as Persona's. I greatly recommend it if you have the time to invest in such a large series. While it has a calendar, it's not a time management simulator like Persona 5. The dates are mainly to keep track of the timeline.
The internet was a mistake

User Info: BlueSnow

BlueSnow
1 week ago#6
Another thing, i think Cold Steel has better pacing. When you're not in story/cutscene hell (which P5 has as well), the social life sim/combat ratio is better spread out.

Like:
P5 -> 5 hours of social life sim stuff -> 3 hours of dungeon crawlIng -> rinse and repeat
Cold Steel -> 1 hour of social life sim stuff -> 1 hour of dungeon crawling -> rinse and repeat

Also, P5 is a 120-130 hours game, Cold Steel is a 80 hours game.
REmake > 2 > 3 > 1 > 0 > Outbreak 1&2 > CV >> 4 > 5 > RE2 2019 > RE3 2020 >> Rev1 > Rev2 > ORC > 6 > 7

User Info: Whippet_basic

Whippet_basic
1 week ago#7
I've played both and I very much enjoyed both of them. There are some limited similarities but for the most part they are quite different. You could always watch a lets play on YouTube to get a better idea about the series.

User Info: Legacy2124

Legacy2124
1 week ago#8
As someone who's played both P5, P5R and recently finally played Cold Steel 1 through 3, I highly recommend it.

Graphics aside, they're not that bad. As the first two games were originally Vita games.

In my opinion, if you can accept that, the graphics are actually well detailed with what they could handle on the system. Especially inside of stores and houses.

The story and combat is what makes the games addicting and fun. There's ALOT of dialog in the game, a lot of it isn't voiced. But in my opinion, I think the story is one of the best in any RPG or JRPG I've ever played. Between the 3 Cold Steel games, the story just feels interconnected and doesn't seem like the pacing is terrible. Characters are well thought out and it'll honestly take 3 games to fully understand some of the characters you'll meet and interact with in the first game. They leave questions that will be answered at a later time or in another game. They don't do that with all the characters which is nice so they leave you to speculate on others. If you like that type of story and lots of patience, I recommend it!

The combat is addicting. Hard to explain but it uses a Final Fantasy VII materia system but puts their own twists to it. Lots of customization you can do with the characters that you won't realize is indepth until you get further into the games.

The good thing is, the game has a 'turbo mode' as well so you can fast forward in the game if you want to speed through certain aspects. Like running long distances, or speeding through combat (not recommended for some battles!).

Again, in my opinion, the Cold Steel series is amazing and I would recommend it if you're into or intrigued with anything I listed above. I didn't list a whole lot since a lot of the game is something I would say to really play through it and figure it out for yourself :)

I will add, that the first 1-2 hours of the first game can be a little slow to get into. And I know people hear this a lot and it can be a bad thing to say, but the game really picks up after a bit. One of those games you have to be patient with the story in the beginning to appreciate the characters and story later down the line.

User Info: Jikkle

Jikkle
1 week ago#9
I love both series and assuming your not turned off by some anime cliches it's one to play despite the graphics.

In terms of world building I can't think of a game a series that does it better off the top of my head. Pretty much every NPC has their own personality and number of them have their own mini story lines that play out over the course of the game.

The battle system is fun and interesting and customization of your characters is engaging enough without being too bogged down in micromanaging equipment and setups. There is one character that is completely OP but the rest of them are fairly balanced from what I remember.

What's also great is the PS4 version has a built in turbo function that's turned on and off with a press of the button so you can make battles and travel even faster if you're so inclined.

The graphics aren't great but they aren't offensive either and like a lot of games once you get engaged into it you really won't notice it and it won't bother you after a while.

User Info: zoderos

zoderos
1 week ago#10
Trails of Cold Steel is not as good as Persona, but definitely worth playing unless outdated visuals and animations put you off. While the social sim aspect of the game is mediocre, nowhere close to Persona 5, it is a pretty good jrpg overall. Just keep in mind, if you want to get into Trails it is a huge time commitment, since all entries take part in the same world at the same time period and there are tons of games at the moment starting with trails in the sky fc.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5 Royal
  3. Would P5R players recommend the Trails of Cold Steel series?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A