• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. It's strange to me that Poliwhirl didn't evolve into Politoed to begin with.
Solar_Crimson 1 month ago#1
I mean, what the hell is Poliwrath? It's just a buff, angry Poliwhirl.
I often wonder if we are growing as a people... or in fact, regressing.
SageOfLife 1 month ago#2
Politoad was originally part of a completely separate evolutionary line, but after its pre-evolution was left on the cutting room floor it was lumped in with the poliwog line.
Get your f*#%*!% foot off my neck, then we'll talk tolerance. - David Gerrold
Solar_Crimson 1 month ago#3
SageOfLife posted...
Politoad was originally part of a completely separate evolutionary line, but after its pre-evolution was left on the cutting room floor it was lumped in with the poliwog line.
Was that Gen 1 or Gen 2? I was talking about Gen 1, where Politoed should have been the Gen 1 evolution to Poliwhirl.

In addition to the "buff Poliwhirl" thing, it's a serious letdown that the tadpole didn't actually become a frog/toad.
I often wonder if we are growing as a people... or in fact, regressing.
SageOfLife 1 month ago#4
Solar_Crimson posted...
Was that Gen 1 or Gen 2? I was talking about Gen 1, where Politoed should have been the Gen 1 evolution to Poliwhirl.

In addition to the "buff Poliwhirl" thing, it's a serious letdown that the tadpole didn't actually become a frog/toad.
Gen 2. It's in the Spaceworld demo datamine.
reaverz 1 month ago#5
SageOfLife posted...
Gen 2. It's in the Spaceworld demo datamine.
You must be misremembering, since the Spaceworld demo has beta Politoed in between the scrapped bell cat line and Slowking. There is no other frog or tadpole-like Pokémon among the scrapped Gen 2 Pokémon.

Funny thing about Poliwrath- its design originally had a crown on its head and was a seemingly jolly and rotund Pokémon. However, GameFreak changed it to the final Poliwrath design because they felt that it didn’t give off an impression of a strong Pokémon, hence the angry look and muscular build. The design of the King’s Rock and its use in obtaining Politoed is likely a reference to Poliwrath’s old design.

Interestingly enough, Poliwrath’s original backsprite from Gen 1 gives it a more frog-like appearance which isn’t captured by its front sprite.
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
SageOfLife 1 month ago#6
reaverz posted...
You must be misremembering, since the Spaceworld demo has beta Politoed in between the scrapped bell cat line and Slowking. There is no other frog or tadpole-like Pokémon among the scrapped Gen 2 Pokémon.

Funny thing about Poliwrath- its design originally had a crown on its head and was a seemingly jolly and rotund Pokémon. However, GameFreak changed it to the final Poliwrath design because they felt that it didn’t give off an impression of a strong Pokémon, hence the angry look and muscular build. The design of the King’s Rock and its use in obtaining Politoed is likely a reference to Poliwrath’s old design.

Interestingly enough, Poliwrath’s original backsprite from Gen 1 gives it a more frog-like appearance which isn’t captured by its front sprite.
You're right. Weird. I must have gotten it mixed up with a different scrapped pokemon. Though Politoed's original design does bear a closer resemblance to the rest of its line.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. It's strange to me that Poliwhirl didn't evolve into Politoed to begin with.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A