• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Has anyone ever came up with the theory that this game takes place before...
EmmatheBest 1 month ago#1
So, I just thought of a theory that I've never heard anyone postulate before, but if Gamefreak had thought it up and used it as an excuse, they probably would have gotten maybe 2% of a better feedback from the community about Sword and Shield: ...What if the events of the game take place BEFORE Mega Evolution and Z Crystals were discovered? I swear, Gamefreak had one opportunity to explain why they rushed the game out, and they missed an also-lazy, but more acceptable answer than anything Masuda ended up spouting out later on....
I would have my 3DS FC here, but it is currently a corpse. RIP Pink O3DS, 2012-2018
Element-17 1 month ago#2
According to Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire (Delta Episode), the existence of Mega Evolution has been known for at least 1,000 years. The historical events that led up to Mega Evolution go as far back as 3,000 years.

If you want to speculate, you'd be better off assuming that Sword & Shield take place in a timeline where Mega Evolution and Z-Crystals don't exist (the Delta Episode also confirms alternate dimensions).

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/History_of_the_Pok%C3%A9mon_world#Prehistory
Why bother making a signature?
c0mpu73rguy 1 month ago#3
Element-17 posted...
and Z-Crystals

Z-Crystals are a cultural thing from Alola and can only be used there since it's the only place where Necrozma's light shines through the Ultra Wormholes. SwSh could take place in the same universe as UsUm at least since the two idiots and Zygarde weren't in this game as far as I know (and I don't want to know).
"The darkest hour comes just before the dawn"
"When the disgusted depart, there remains only the disgusting ones"
EmmatheBest 1 month ago#4
c0mpu73rguy posted...
Z-Crystals are a cultural thing from Alola and can only be used there since it's the only place where Necrozma's light shines through the Ultra Wormholes. SwSh could take place in the same universe as UsUm at least since the two idiots and Zygarde weren't in this game as far as I know (and I don't want to know).
But the story doesn't give a f*** about Necrozma in normal SM, which has a better, more cohesive story and narrative, albeit being at the cost of a few Pokemon and features.
I would have my 3DS FC here, but it is currently a corpse. RIP Pink O3DS, 2012-2018
tinycyan 1 month ago#5
its alternate universe maybe
or brexit has cut it off from everyone else
"You don't want Detroit, huh?"
c0mpu73rguy 1 month ago#6
EmmatheBest posted...
But the story doesn't give a f*** about Necrozma in normal SM, which has a better, more cohesive story and narrative, albeit being at the cost of a few Pokemon and features.

If I recall, in SM, it was also stated that the Z-Force could only be used in Alola. It just wasn't justified.
Gen7Sawks 1 month ago#7
EmmatheBest posted...

That's because Necrozma, like all third wheel mascot legends, play no role within each generation's inaugural paired games and only plays a major role when they get their own enhanced versions down the line, the exception to this is Zygarde.

FYI, Gen 7's story is beyond crap, especially in Sun/Moon.
It is I the great slayer of Lolicons, the bane of the Sun and the Moon.
-Number of GFaqs Users I've counted who hate Sun/Moon and/or Gen 7 in General: 18
c0mpu73rguy 1 month ago#8
Gen7Sawks posted...
the exception to this is Zygarde

I love that sometimes, people forget that the anime is a thing.
Gen7Sawks 1 month ago#9
c0mpu73rguy posted...
I love that sometimes, people forget that the anime is a thing.

The fact Zygarde had his Kalos Arc in the Anime only is pretty telling of how bad TPC messed up when planning the upcoming main series releases for the 20th anniversary.
It is I the great slayer of Lolicons, the bane of the Sun and the Moon.
-Number of GFaqs Users I've counted who hate Sun/Moon and/or Gen 7 in General: 18
c0mpu73rguy 1 month ago#10
Gen7Sawks posted...
The fact Zygarde had his Kalos Arc in the Anime only is pretty telling of how bad TPC messed up when planning the upcoming main series releases for the 20th anniversary.

Yes but I guess part of the reason they canned it in the games is because Z got his closure in the anime and they probably thought it was good enough (it was). The manga does it in Alola though, and it's the closest thing from a pokemon canon we got according to Tajiri if I recall so make of that what you want. Bottomline, don't act as if Zygarde didn't get his closure. He did in the games (SM), the anime and the manga.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Has anyone ever came up with the theory that this game takes place before...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A