• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. So who turned out ti be the best starter?
ssj_duelist 2 months ago#1
Best for competitive play? - Results (166 votes)
Rillaboom
29.52% (49 votes)
Cinderace
28.31% (47 votes)
Inteleon
36.75% (61 votes)
All 3 are pretty much tied
5.42% (9 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I see all 3 get used in comp play, for monotype starters, this is really unexpected. Good stats, movepools, and abilities have really done wonders.

Ps this is my favourite trio of monotype starters personally.

Great unique hidden abilities too.
Playing:
PS5: Demon's Souls; It Takes Two. Switch: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond; New Horizons. XSX: Halo Combat Evolved, Death's Door.
Amazing Ampharos 2 months ago#2
Competitively I think it's quite clear Rillaboom > Cinderace > Inteleon.

Rillaboom is one of the "big five" Pokemon that have pretty much run Sword and Shield since its release (at least doubles) along with Regieleki, Tapu Fini, Incineroar, and Landorus-T; Grassy Surge + Grassy Glide + Fake Out + good all around stats is just too much of a value package to ignore with at least one if not several aspects that will directly help almost any team win almost any match-up, and really no other Pokemon can compete with it for its role.

Cinderace is a good Pokemon but just a "normal" good Pokemon; Libero is of course a great ability, and it has fairly decent coverage plus the ability to really take advantage of the Gmax move, but it faces a lot of competition for its role as a team carry sweeper especially given that it's kinda frail and is subject to Intimidate spam so a Cinderace team has to carefully build around both of those issues which is a lot less versatility than what Rillaboom offers.

Inteleon has one gimmick it's very good at (the fastest Soak user) and otherwise is a very generic water type special attacker. The metagame doesn't need a fast, frail water type special attacker at all, and even if it did, Starmie is mostly just better. Inteleon has some quirks that are nice, but overall it's a mediocre Pokemon.

Also, the only other monotype starter trio is gen 2, and that's just the weakest starter trio by far, so while I agree the Galarian starters are impressive on their own merits (they're pretty comparable in value to the Kanto and Alola starters overall and far ahead of the other gens), comparing them only to the other monotype starters is really faint praise.
3ds FC: 2423-3327-5637
X safari: Pupitar, Boldore, Shuckle
ssj_duelist 2 months ago#3
Yeah gen 2 starters and 5 as i forgot Emboar was fighting for a second lol.
Playing:
PS5: Demon's Souls; It Takes Two. Switch: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond; New Horizons. XSX: Halo Combat Evolved, Death's Door.
Shadow_Saitama 2 months ago#4
Sniper + Scope Lens + Focus Energy + Snipe Shot = GG
Smash Ultimate is complete. Thank you, Sakurai.
Why is it so hard for people to just enjoy things nowadays?
ssj_duelist 2 months ago#5
Shadow_Saitama posted...
Sniper + Scope Lens + Focus Energy + Snipe Shot = GG
That doesn't seem that great...
Playing:
quintonshark163 1 month ago#6
Amazing Ampharos posted...
Inteleon has one gimmick it's very good at (the fastest Soak user) and otherwise is a very generic water type special attacker. The metagame doesn't need a fast, frail water type special attacker at all, and even if it did, Starmie is mostly just better. Inteleon has some quirks that are nice, but overall it's a mediocre Pokemon.
not to mention, Greninja existed (Cinderace just took it's ability with a new name)

It also had Mat Block (when that move existed), which was great for teams built around set-up sweepers (or really, set-up mons in general) in VGC
The official Eggman + Bowser/Ridley/Palutena/Pyra+Mythra/Captain Falcon/Puff. My main is being voice by Jack Black, who i just learned he did the YTP clips.
GujinKami 1 month ago#7
Cinderace ended up being the best in singles.

Rillaboom ended up being the best in doubles.

Inteleon remained an ugly loser LMAO
~Gujin
http://i.imgur.com/39lX5ve.jpg http://i.imgur.com/9S9glYE.png https://imgur.com/a/Qxo9jXF
GuitaristMatt 1 month ago#8
ssj_duelist posted...
Rillaboom 21.31%
Proof gamefaqs doesn't care about competitive battling
SteamDeck / GabeGear Ambassador
Ryzen 7-5800x, RTX 3080ti, 32GB DDR4
ssj_duelist 1 month ago#9
GuitaristMatt posted...
Proof gamefaqs doesn't care about competitive battling
Innit
Playing:
Andrex_93 1 month ago#10
Amazing Ampharos posted...
Competitively I think it's quite clear Rillaboom > Cinderace > Inteleon.

"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. So who turned out ti be the best starter?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A