This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Lore question regarding water attacks that magically create water out of nowhere

User Info: Twilight_Sonata

Twilight_Sonata
2 weeks ago#1
There are a ton of moves like water gun and hydro pump that appear to magically produce water. They certainly take a lot more water than many of the creatures who use them could possibly store in their bodies. Setting aside the question of whether the moves create matter or just wormhole the water in from elsewhere, I’m wondering how long the water sticks around. Does it remain permanently or does it disappear after some amount of time?

In real life, humans normally found big cities near sources of fresh water. In the Pokemon world, is that necessary? Can folks just bring their water Pokemon out into the middle of the desert and have them use their water attacks to fill up some water towers and be totally self-sustaining just using Pokemon as their water source?

I’m inclined to think no, or else we’d see that somewhere in the franchise. As far as we see, most cities are still founded near water, and most desert cities don’t appear to make use of this, at least not that they tell us. This leads me to think the water produced by these attacks goes back wherever it came from after some short period of time, but that’s never brought up either.

What do y’all think?

User Info: Zeraora

Zeraora
2 weeks ago#2
i think you should get a job

User Info: Plasmas

Plasmas
2 weeks ago#3
It's elemental water,
As in it not real water but a creation of the pokemon's will/might manifesting as a water elemental blast

That's why pokemon like Rhydon is extra hurt by bubble and watergun, but can bathe and swim (surf) no-problem
Merlin: Remember to believe in magic... or I'll kill you.

User Info: Andrex_93

Andrex_93
2 weeks ago#4
This is obviously one of those things "we're never supposed to think really hard about", but, if we have to find some sort of justification, the water needed to sustain a small town would likely run the Pokémon dry.. You'd need a big amount and necessary infrastructure to keep it as a reliable source, and that would probably be at the very least unethical if it hurts the Pokémon - yes, even in a world where battling is a thing because, again, it would likely require either a massive amount of mons and/or essentially slave labor from the mons to keep it sustainable.

The "creating matter from nothing" is technically true for a lot of attacks, not just Water ones, and Pokémon and humans are somewhat often mentioned interacting.. Basically, I think, sure, you can use your Marill's Water Gun to help you water your garden and such, but from there to being a reliable source of water to the point of avoid using the much simpler "there's a river here, so let's just use that" there's quite a lot in the middle; an ocean, in fact (this pun only works in Italian).
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman

User Info: Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian
2 weeks ago#5
Next up, where did all the fire come from...or how fast can a plant pokemon grow its leaves, or how much electricity can they produce.
Shema Yggdrasil, Odinai elohenu Odinai ehda....Master of IKEA

User Info: ai123

ai123
2 weeks ago#6
https://youtu.be/sVgVB3qsySQ
'The sprites is ridiculous polygons'

User Info: Thard_Verad

Thard_Verad
2 weeks ago#7
Additional theory: It is rapidly condensed out of the atmosphere, used to attack, then dissipates back to the air again.
"Many in harmony surpass one in perfection." - Guildmaster, Etrian Odyssey II

User Info: Andrex_93

Andrex_93
2 weeks ago#8
Thard_Verad posted...
Additional theory: It is rapidly condensed out of the atmosphere, used to attack, then dissipates back to the air again.
This reminded me that I also wanted to propose the "Frozone" thing, about the "how can they produce so much water from their small bodies", as it could indeed be a process of gathering humidity from the atmosphere.
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman

User Info: Severus_Sniper

Severus_Sniper
2 weeks ago#9
Zeraora posted...
i think you should get a job

User Info: Tomasagaz14

Tomasagaz14
2 weeks ago#10
Maybe it tastes like spit, so humans don't drink.
Official Mr. Who Would Win and Mr. Roleplay.
Smash Most Wanteds: Phoenix Wright, Bandana Dee, Dimentio or Paper Mario, Terra Branford and Soma Cruz.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Lore question regarding water attacks that magically create water out of nowhere
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A