This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Going purely off the mainline games, what is the best generation?

User Info: thefinalcard

thefinalcard
1 week ago#41
5 is worst based solely on how the battle music gets interrupted constantly to play that damn low health tune.

5 is good, but the music and sprites just weren't doing it for me. It doesnt help that the battle backgrounds were all the same faded swipes, which clashed a lot with the animations.

4 is my favorite. I didnt think it was anywhere near as slow as people say it is. Without hyperbole, I love ALL the new pokemon, the music is really nostalgic, the difficulty is perfect, I thought Barry was a good balance between the jerkish and friendly rival archetypes, HGSS has amazing art design, and I think it has the best postgame.

My rank would likely be 4>3>6>5>8>7>2>1
that one Ricken fanboy
Dt-1990 posted...
Wait is this why people are voting for gen 5? That's the only thing that makes sense.

It could be but I wouldn't say that about everyone. Some people are very fond of gen 5 and for good reason.
For me personally gen 4 slightly nudges out gen 5. It's because of hg and ss.
My mario maker i.d is 48W-7G3-YTG
Hit me up if you are looking for new fun courses to play :)
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: FuzzyKiwi02

FuzzyKiwi02
1 week ago#43
StewieGriffin23 posted...
Gen 4, followed closely by Gen 5.
This, though every gen has it's highlights.
The people that really lack skill are the ones that are too afraid or can't deal with the unknown.

User Info: Arcangel22

Arcangel22
1 week ago#44
HowdyHowdy posted...
Gen 4, platinum + soulsilver/heatgold. Can't beat that.
Gen 3 is a close second.

This signature is under construction, please understand.

User Info: lostnfound99

lostnfound99
1 week ago#45
Can’t decide, but 5 was pretty impressive so I’ll say 5. Gen 1 could take it too, just because. It’s not even my favorite but it’s still replayable, it started it all, yada yada

Sorry water lovers, but worst isn’t as hard to decide - it’s gen 3. Not bad games, just not as fun imo
IGN - Lostnfound - 1349-5983-9491

User Info: lostnfound99

lostnfound99
1 week ago#46
Garioshi posted...
7 is on the bottom for me. I don't know how they f***ed up Pokemon so badly.

The only thing that didn’t work imo was what they replaced gyms with. I’m fine going away from that system, but it wasn’t better. Other than that, good games imo. I really liked the champion always being different. Loved the weirdness of the wormholes and ultra beasts too.

On a similar topic with the E4, the thing I miss/hate most is that the last FOUR generations have had their elite 4’s “equal”: all four with Pokémon at the same level. I really miss the old model of each one being higher leveled and more challenging than the last.
IGN - Lostnfound - 1349-5983-9491
5 was great in terms of story and characters, but let's not pretend how overwhelming the weather wars was. Gen 4 I feel was the most fun competitively although mainly due to PBR since the main game battles were a slog.
Pokemon Ultra Sun Trainer Name: Corvo.
FC: 1005-8916-0531, Richard.

User Info: Garioshi

Garioshi
1 week ago#48
lostnfound99 posted...
On a similar topic with the E4, the thing I miss/hate most is that the last FOUR generations have had their elite 4’s “equal”: all four with Pokémon at the same level. I really miss the old model of each one being higher leveled and more challenging than the last.
I think it's fine, it's not like they're not challenging.
"I play with myself" - Darklit_Minuet, 2018
https://store.steampowered.com/wishlist/profiles/76561198312621819/#sort=order

User Info: Gray_Areas

Gray_Areas
1 week ago#49
As much as I think the actual games from Gen 5 were better, I think Gen 3 was the best overall generation. RSE were great and the Battle Frontier was amazing plus you have the Gen 1 remakes in there too. I loved those games.
I know a lot of people hate Gen five
But everything about it was so good to the improved graphics the character designs
especially the main boy and girl hilbert and hilda who are my all time favorite playable trainer designs, The legendary’s for once actually felt really important actually driving the story, And that people actually respect legendary Pokémon outside of random dialogue, The best evil team with the best evil team leader, the music was great, all the pokemon were new in its own pokedex till post game,

team plasma were peta knights with an amazing theme, secret castle that has an amazing look and theme,

And yes cyrus and lysandre wanna destroy and kill basically everything but they weren’t complete garbage people with perfume hiding their odious stench like ghetsis was

and let not forget that gym leaders actually did something for once in the story aside from giovanni
Bask in My Radiance
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Going purely off the mainline games, what is the best generation?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A