This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. General Pokemon help for a newcomer

User Info: Black_Sam

Black_Sam
2 weeks ago#1
Hi there!

So I am considering going a bit wild with Pokemon and getting really stuck into the different games via 3DS and Switch, just a little confused by how many different games there are!

My end goal is to use 3DS and Pokemon Bank and my Switch to help fill up a National Dex in Pokemon Home.

Could anyone list all the Pokemon core games that are available to play on 3DS, note if they are digital or physical, and if they connect to Pokemon bank, grouped by generation?

So for example
“Red Blue Yellow - digital - can connect”

That would be massively helpful in deciding where I need to start spending and playing.

Thank you so much!

User Info: SlayerKiller

SlayerKiller
2 weeks ago#2
Red, blue, yellow, gold, solve, crystal through the VC can connect to the pokebank on 3ds

Diamon/pearl, Black/white 1&2, heart gold/soul silver are on DS and you have to use poke transporter to a 3ds entry.

Sun/moon, Omega Ruby / sapphire, and ultra sun/moon have direct pokebank access since they are 3ds games

User Info: jayman7

jayman7
2 weeks ago#3
SlayerKiller posted...
Diamon/pearl, Black/white 1&2, heart gold/soul silver are on DS and you have to use poke transporter to a 3ds entry.
No. Black & White (and their sequels) are compatible with Poke Transporter (which puts them in the Pokémon Bank), but Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, and Soul Silver have to have their Pokémon specifically transferred to the fifth gen first, a slow process that requires two DSes.
Creator of Jay's Journey, including Jay's Journey Reimagined/Jay's Journey 2: Worlds Apart!
https://jaysjourney2016.wordpress.com/

jayman7
2 weeks ago#4
Anyway, full answer:

FOURTH GEN:
Sinnoh games - Diamond, Pearl, Platinum
Johto games - Heart Gold, Soul Silver
Physical only, can't directly connect to Bank (need to transfer to fifth gen first)

FIFTH GEN:
Unova games - Black, Black 2, White, White 2
Physical only, can do one-way transfers to Bank via Poke Transporter

SIXTH GEN:
Kalos games - X, Y
Hoenn games - Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire
Physical or digital, fully compatible with Bank

SEVENTH GEN:
Alola games - Sun, Ultra Sun, Moon, Ultra Moon
Physical or digital, fully compatible with Bank

FIRST GEN (Virtual Console):
Kanto games - Red, Blue, Yellow (and Japanese Blue, which isn't the same game as English Blue, which is Japanese Green)
Digital only, can do one-way transfers to Bank via Poke Transporter

SECOND GEN (Virtual Console):
Johto games - Gold, Silver Crystal
Digital only, can do one-way transfers to Bank via Poke Transporter

And if you really really want to get nitpicky:
THIRD GEN (can't be played on 3DS):
Hoenn games - Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald
Kanto games - Fire Red, Leaf Green
Orre games - Colosseum, XD
Physical only, can only do slow transfers to fourth gen games with older-style DSes (and even then, Colosseum and XD have to trade to the other games first)
Creator of Jay's Journey, including Jay's Journey Reimagined/Jay's Journey 2: Worlds Apart!

Black_Sam
2 weeks ago#5
If I had a DS with a GBA cartridge slot and the old physical games, could I theoretically use that to play the remakes Fire Red, Heart Gold gens, and trade from them up to something on a 3DS?

What games could they trade into?

I’m interested in basically starting in Kanto, and bringing everything forward to Home eventually

Black_Sam
2 weeks ago#6
@jayman7 massive thanks I think you answered my Qs.

I think somewhere I have an old DS lite so may be able to start out with Fire Red / Leaf Green...

User Info: d_charizard

d_charizard
2 weeks ago#7
You can use the Gen 3 games (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen) with a DS/DS Lite that has a GBA slot and import the Pokemon into Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver. (I'd very much recommend HeartGold/SoulSilver for this, by the way, since DPP have a once per day limit on the Pal Park for some dumb reason.)

The physical Generation 1 and 2 games (Red/Green/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal) aren't compatible with Gen 3 and later games at all (the GBA slot in a DS also can't even run them anyway).

jayman7
2 weeks ago#8
Black_Sam posted...
If I had a DS with a GBA cartridge slot and the old physical games, could I theoretically use that to play the remakes Fire Red, Heart Gold gens, and trade from them up to something on a 3DS?

What games could they trade into?

I’m interested in basically starting in Kanto, and bringing everything forward to Home eventually
You absolutely could do that.

Probably the best version of Kanto if you're not going for nostalgia is Fire Red/Leaf Green (Let's Go has a number of bizarre differences from the rest of the series, and the originals are very dated at this point.)

Then you could play Johto via Heart Gold/Soul Silver, and in the postgame you'll unlock the ability to transfer Pokémon from third-gen games (including Fire Red/Leaf Green) on a GBA-compatible DS. It'll be a slow process though - you can only transfer six Pokémon at a time (at least HG/SS doesn't have the six per day transfer limit of Diamond and Pearl!)

Third-gen games are actually Hoenn. I would recommend Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire for this if you want the best Hoenn experience, but you'll have to wait a while to consolidate it with your Johto team if you go that route (ORAS are sixth-gen, and the fourth and sixth gens are not compatible directly.) But ORAS are Bank-compatible, so just set up your Bank account and come back to it later.

For Sinnoh, I'd just go with Platinum. It's the same gen as HG/SS, so they can trade with each other (if you have an old DS and a 3DS, you can just trade with yourself, or wait until the fifth gen to transfer from both.)

Unova's tricky, as Black 2 and White 2 are actually sequels, not alternate versions. It might be the one region that would make the most sense to play twice? Whatever you go with, there's a transfer system that will let you pull from Platinum and HG/SS (and Diamond and Pearl if you went that route instead), but it requires two DSes (3DS works too.) At this point, the Poke Transporter is available, so whatever makes its way into your Unova game can be immediately Banked.

Kalos has only two options and they're equivalent: X and Y. Just play whichever.

For Alola, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are technically the superior versions, but they are a little contested among the fandom. Play whatever. And they're all Bank-compatible.

I won't tell you that you CAN'T play the original Hoenn games or the Virtual Console games, just seems redundant.

BTW, the Orre games are technically not main-series, but they can trade with the third gen (meaning FR/LG with my recommendations).

Black_Sam
2 weeks ago#9
Ok awesome that’s a huge help dude.

Is there any danger of certain transfer services shutting down midway through me doing this? xD

jayman7
2 weeks ago#10
Black_Sam posted...
Ok awesome that’s a huge help dude.

Is there any danger of certain transfer services shutting down midway through me doing this? xD
Provided no hardware failures, Bank is the only one in any level of danger at all; all older transfer systems are local. And I don't think Bank will shut down soon.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. General Pokemon help for a newcomer
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A