This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Why is Appletun not weak against my fire move ?

User Info: CharizardFire

CharizardFire
6 days ago#21
Hirokey123 posted...
Meanwhile keeping in line with the logic of Flapple continues to just use the apple like a tool, its unique move lets it summon and drop an apple from the heavens like anvil. It seems to me to more or less be a joke on things like dragons summoning meteors, but it summons an apple instead. We get a bit of science reference in it as well since gravapple actually deals more damage in gravity, increase the gravity and it hits harder because it is falling faster.
To me, the animation of Grav Apple looks more like a reference to the apple falling on Isaac Newton's head.
http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/

User Info: biraiya

biraiya
6 days ago#22
I just assumed that since it can turn back into an apple shape, grav apple is hustle flying over head, turning into an apple, and dropping with all its might. Maybe not 100% in game, but I suspect in the show it will probably be depicted as such.
FC: 0662-7548-7567

User Info: mongopikis

mongopikis
6 days ago#23
Naruzeldamaster posted...
Same thing with like, all pokemon with Eon being an evee evolution, Inteleon exists on it's own and ISNT an eevee evolution.
Why is this a thing at all? This was already broken back in gen 4 with Lumineon... or Charmeleon.

User Info: TheMehssenger

TheMehssenger
6 days ago#24
A tip TC. At least try to do some research beforehand. We have something called the internet. I suggest you use it.

Naruzeldamaster posted...
Eh, not quite that brutally put but...kinda?
It depends on the mon in question.
Some designs are like 'yeah I totally see that!' but other times...it's really stretching it.
Like the Mister Rime doing the Charlie Chaplin thing, while it IS a possibility, it's also equally possible they just wanted a tap dancing ice type mister mime evolution, ya know?

To add to what bond007106 said, Mr. Rime is based on Charlie Chaplin's character The Tramp. Chaplin also studied theatrical pantomime and starred in silent films. The ability Screen Cleaner is a reference to one of Chaplin's film; The Window Washer.

As for the Ice typing, that may have been for aesthetic reasons. One reasoning can be linked to Galarian Mr. Mime's ability to create ice barriers. A sheet of ice resembles a window pane, relating back to The Window Washer. Another reasoning is linked to Galarian Mr. Mime's ability to creat ice sheets by tap dancing. It may be based off the phrase, "when on thin ice, you might as well dance."
There are no bad questions. Just people too lazy to search for the answers.

User Info: MaidKnight404

MaidKnight404
6 days ago#25
I get the Chaplin reference overall, but the rest of that might be reading way too in depth to give them credit for.

Unless the dude is like, ridiculously huge in japan for some reason?
My Fate/Grand Order (JP) Friend Bind is 484,416,786 (Vasche)

User Info: TheMehssenger

TheMehssenger
6 days ago#26
MaidKnight404 posted...
I get the Chaplin reference overall, but the rest of that might be reading way too in depth to give them credit for.

Unless the dude is like, ridiculously huge in japan for some reason?

If you think that's "too in depth to give credit to," I have doubts that you've taken the time to look at the origins of Pokemon.

Not everything has to be hugely popular in Japan to be referenced in Pokemon. Chaplin was an English man. Guess what country Galar is based on?
There are no bad questions. Just people too lazy to search for the answers.

User Info: ai123

ai123
6 days ago#27
Chaplin is very well known in Japan, and was part of a significant historical incident.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2005/05/15/to-be-sorted/no-laughing-matter/#.Xh8DkvSnw0M
'The sprites is ridiculous polygons'

User Info: CrystalTwilight

CrystalTwilight
6 days ago#28
^ Very interesting article!

User Info: rosacea

rosacea
6 days ago#29
Try here next time https://pokemondb.net/type/dual
The grass is full of clingy things

User Info: Naruzeldamaster

Naruzeldamaster
6 days ago#30
TheMehssenger posted...
If you think that's "too in depth to give credit to," I have doubts that you've taken the time to look at the origins of Pokemon.

Not everything has to be hugely popular in Japan to be referenced in Pokemon. Chaplin was an English man. Guess what country Galar is based on?
Ok, fair point, but think about the (general) target audience.
Kids today don't know s*** about Chaplin, or dog breeds, or Irish worm dragons that burrow through hillsides.
All the people making these origin stories are 20-30 + years old, none of the videos are ten year olds going 'WOAH THIS REFERENCE IS SO AWESOME lemme explainify things'

So yes, I DO think some of the references are intentional, but I also think that by design, little kids aren't gonna figure things out. They just want to capture the cute bunny girl pokemon cause they're confused and horny for it. lol
HA Eevee for trade: https://tinyurl.com/tbawbpx
Come While Supplies Last~
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Why is Appletun not weak against my fire move ?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers