This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Jim Sterling on the Pokemon Business Plan

User Info: Apocalypso

Apocalypso
6 days ago#81
ai123 posted...
I don't mind the two initial versions. There is almost no reason to buy both, and you certainly aren't required to do so to enjoy the game.

Third versions are a bit harder to defend. The differences from the original don't really justify a new release. DLC is a better way to go.
Yeah, I'm sure most people only buy one version. I agree that the whole "We want to encourage trading" is a poor reason to have two versions though. There's no reason for mons like Eiscue to be in one game and Stonjourner to be in another. If they want to encourage trading, just keep trade evolutions. We don't need two separate versions for that.
I'm not wondering why the sky's blue. That's not my business.

User Info: Dumb-Fumbler

Dumb-Fumbler
6 days ago#82
Apocalypso posted...
Yeah, I'm sure most people only buy one version. I agree that the whole "We want to encourage trading" is a poor reason to have two versions though. There's no reason for mons like Eiscue to be in one game and Stonjourner to be in another. If they want to encourage trading, just keep trade evolutions. We don't need two separate versions for that.
This is essentially what I’m saying.
well, one of the things I’m saying, but the biggest thing and the most important.

the other is highlighting the things they did lock throughout the years.... like the difficulty modes and the Pokémon that you absolutely cannot access without another version, which I found to be scummy from the past. They haven’t done it and seemed to have lightened up somewhat on that regard however with recent games though.

idk, maybe it’s just that the gimmick is so stale it’s turned to stone at this point and I’m tired of the two games (they can easily market just one, they’ve done it in the past) system.

Icicle Crash + Heat Crash = Waterfall

User Info: Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian
6 days ago#83
At least Persona 5 Royal asks the same price as what Persona 5 was, and asks you to buy the DLC again.......
Sanctus Dominus Infernus ad Astra
Regus Kobalus....cast unholy fire

User Info: ai123

ai123
6 days ago#84
I honestly think the two versions were originally conceived to promote trading/friendship.

As a kid back in the late 90s, the idea of actually trading Pokemon via a link cable (that scummy paywall again!) was amazing.
'The sprites is ridiculous polygons'

User Info: Andrex_93

Andrex_93
6 days ago#85
GujinKami posted...
It is a great move for them, yet it's awful for consumers. How much trouble is it to just release a single version and sprinkle in some player choice so everyone's playthrough and experience can be unique.

And if that many people don't buy both versions, why continue both versions? Again it only exists to milk the consumer out of more money, as showcased by all sales reports of the generations counting both games. (Ruby/Sapphire, Diamond/Pearl etc)

If other companies could repackage a game, cut it in half, resell both halves at full price, and get away with it, you bet that would be the industry standard.
While I of course can agree it’s not the best practice in the World, the objective was always to encourage people to communicate: Pokémon was always intended to have a very strong social aspect, and it’s not like buying both on your own would even grant you possession of all Pokémon, as you still needed multiple consoles and Trading equipment to actually do it all by yourself.

So that’s why “keeping the dual Version model” makes sense, because it’s not about taking advantage of double-dippers; that’s a choice they make on their own. I have no doubt that they don’t refuse the extra money that comes in from them, but I doubt that was the main focus (as it would be quite the business gamble, relating to costs in marketing ad distribution, especially the first time through), and that’s why I don’t find it as damaging to the consumer as some other practices.

I mean hell, let’s keep in mind that Tajiri first got the idea from imagining bugs traveling through the Link Cable: even if allegedly Miyamoto gave the idea for VEs, it’s not hard to imagine, given that this is GF, that they would lock a few things behind a feature to encourage usage of that feature.

Now, releasing 3rd Versions only because the deadlines didn’t allow you to finish the game in time is another matter altogether, and isn’t that what the video focuses on?
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman
(edited 6 days ago)
I am surprised Jim didn't liken pokemon mainline games to season passes. It's basically what they are
---------------------------------------------------------
Switch Friend Code - SW-7173-9981-4996

User Info: Deadinsideman

Deadinsideman
6 days ago#87
bd43 posted...
Do you really want to more gameplay options?
Do you really think what you type through?

Deadinsideman
6 days ago#88
Andrex_93 posted...
the objective was always to encourage people to communicate
You need to stop drinking that koolaid man

Deadinsideman
6 days ago#89
Philip027 posted...
we've been getting ripped off before with the "third versions"
The only true rip off was pokemon yellow. The others weren't since you were given the option beforehand to wait for them and if you couldn't, that's all on you.
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: bd43

bd43
6 days ago#90
Deadinsideman posted...
The only true rip off was pokemon yellow. The others weren't since you were given the option beforehand to wait for them and if you couldn't, that's all on you.

Third versions don't really offer enough to justify the wait. It's one thing to pass off similar titles that release the same day, another to say 'You should have waited 15 months for 5 dollars of content'.

Besides, the only gen where you could truly wait it out is 4. Gen 2 had a GBC game and gen 1 was an anime cash in, and it's hard to say Emerald is guaranteed based on that. 5 ended up being a sequel(which, yeah, you could wait for but it's not as simple as previous gens) and 6 didn't exist.

Deadinsideman posted...
Do you really think what you type through?

Do you? Nice attempt at an edited post.

But to your edit: The kind of 'choices' being suggested barely increase your gameplay options and would have ultimately led to more generic route listings.
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.
(edited 6 days ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Jim Sterling on the Pokemon Business Plan
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers