This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Jim Sterling on the Pokemon Business Plan

User Info: Dumb-Fumbler

Dumb-Fumbler
1 week ago#41
bd43 posted...
I'd actually argue this methodology is less consumer friendly at this stage.
It was actually just an example not that they have to do it like that, I’m sure there are more consumer friendly solutions than this.

Icicle Crash + Heat Crash = Waterfall

User Info: Lizuka

Lizuka
1 week ago#42
Dumb-Fumbler posted...
A design choice can be scummy. Yes trading was what they had in mind, but they executed it in a way that requires someone else or the player themselves to buy the other game and the other system. You cannot trade with yourself.

Wanna know another scummy thing they did? There exists an in-game trade within Pokémon that a person in snowpoint trades you a Haunter holding an everstone who cannot evolve. They do not want you to trade with yourself, they want you to trade with other people. They want other games to be bought.
Speaking of DP, see also how they have a ton of Pokemon - a number of whom who got new evolutions - that you can only catch by having a GBA game in the system while you're playing. How exactly is that supposed to be fun or encourage socialization?

Edit: Actually, even better example - the Dream Radar. Not only did they do that trick again but they also went one step further and made it so in order to get the genies' new forms you had to not only pay for an extra game but to own a console that isn't even the one BW2 was actually released for.

Dumb-Fumbler
1 week ago#43
Baha05 posted...
Yes a design can be scummy I never argued against that I am just saying that the trade and two separate versions is not scummy.
You were excusing it as not being a “scummy” practice though. Claiming that it’s on purpose therefore it’s not scummy. But I’m arguing that simply because something is on purpose doesn’t mean it’s a good practice to do.
Also as assholy the Haunter trade was Haunter isnt exactly an exclusive so you dont need the opposite game
The point was that they can be like this.

User Info: Baha05

Baha05
1 week ago#44
Dumb-Fumbler posted...
You were excusing it as not being a “scummy” practice though. Claiming that it’s on purpose therefore it’s not scummy. But I’m arguing that simply because something is on purpose doesn’t mean it’s a good practice to do.
The point was that they can be like this.
Because I am giving reasons why it isnt scummy, there are ways to make it scummy for sure but for the most part the differences are pretty minimal to the point that you arent truly losing out on content
"He may be Mr. Clean, but his soul will always be dirty!"

Dumb-Fumbler
1 week ago#45
Baha05 posted...
Because I am giving reasons why it isnt scummy, there are ways to make it scummy for sure but for the most part the differences are pretty minimal to the point that you arent truly losing out on content
I repeat, in order to access that content someone else needs to literally buy that content. Back then, you needed a whole separate system in order to actually trade with someone, along with a link cable and the other version of the same game. Or you needed 2 Versions and DS that can trade with each other. Or 2 Versions and 3DS, or 2 Versions and two Nintendo Switch Systems. It was always a scummy thing, and these are for the version exclusives.

If no one has the other version, no one has access to the content (the Pokémon) that are available in those games, period.

Baha wya? Since you wanna go, I got time.

Dumb-Fumbler
1 week ago#46
Lizuka posted...
Speaking of DP, see also how they have a ton of Pokemon - a number of whom who got new evolutions - that you can only catch by having a GBA game in the system while you're playing. How exactly is that supposed to be fun or encourage socialization?

Edit: Actually, even better example - the Dream Radar. Not only did they do that trick again but they also went one step further and made it so in order to get the genies' new forms you had to not only pay for an extra game but to own a console that isn't even the one BW2 was actually released for.
Don’t even get me started, Game Freak’s release plan was not consumer friendly and never was consumer friendly. Since the start they (whoever said OK to this) capitalized on making multiple versions of the same game and selling it at full price, requiring the player to have a completely different system to access certain content (GameCube ring a bell? lol) or access content that is not possible unless you have the other version.

Lets not forget the modes introduced in BW2, locked in another game to access the one you wanted

User Info: GujinKami

GujinKami
1 week ago#47
bd43 posted...
Do you really want to be pressed to the tune of 20 something choices?
Every other company can do it, and as someone said they could just make it a Version A or B at the main menu similar to Resident Evil. It isn't like they're completely changing both games from the ground up to completely justify both of their existences, hence why we have this argument in the first place.

bd43 posted...
Not dramatic at all.
You're right and I will fold on that accusation, as "cutting in half" would mean that both versions have more than enough significant changes comparatively to one another to justify both of their existences xD
~Gujin
http://i.imgur.com/39lX5ve.jpg http://i.imgur.com/9S9glYE.png https://imgur.com/a/Qxo9jXF

Dumb-Fumbler
1 week ago#48
As much as people criticize sword and shield, and it still follows that similar not consumer friendly model, it does it less so, theoretically than previous games.

https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/exclusives.shtml

You don’t need the other game but someone else still does, outside of the mascot legendaries, you can catch it the versions of the other games. Slightly better, like 1%, but still pretty much not consumer friendly. Someone else still does need to game to execute that that feature, but it’s not necessary to trade. It’s still mostly locked behind the other game however.

User Info: bd43

bd43
1 week ago#49
GujinKami posted...
and as someone said they could just make it a Version A or B at the main menu similar to Resident Evil

And as I pointed out, this is not genuinely more consumer friendly.

Unless we ignore that one of these games is intended to be beaten and played through multiple times while the other is, for lack of a better concept, intended to exist forever.

You haven't discouraged buying multiple versions to anyone encouraged to buy both.

GujinKami posted...
enough significant changes comparatively to one another to justify both of their existences

Arguably any change is significant enough to justify both exist.

What isn't justified is the purchase of both. But that spits inthe space of the video and the easy argument I guess.
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.

User Info: LordDiscord

LordDiscord
1 week ago#50
Dumb-Fumbler posted...
That requires another Nintendo system. We’ve established this. You can’t trade with someone else unless you have the Nintendo system. Pokémon encourages the purchase of systems, it’s a system seller.
They are literally locking content behind another version that you can’t access unless someone pays for the other version of the game and another system if they don’t have one.

They are literally locking Palkia from being caught in Pokémon diamond, you need some other game that has it in the wild natively to actually catch Palkia. This is not an opinion this is a fact. You must buy Pokémon Pearl if you want to catch Pokémon and have it in Pokémon Diamond. It’s impossible to have the rare 1 per save file Pokémon unless you get it from other people that also have to buy the Pokémon games of the opposite version or use an illegal hack to get access to Palkia in Pokémon Diamond where you can catch it.
I mean, isn't that a given that the console the game appears on, is a requirement for said game? Also isn't the purpose of console games in general, is to act as ''incentives'' to purchase the console? There has to be incentives, that are going to make people want to trade, you can't have those "Incentives'' if everybody can obtain the same pokemon, someone is going to have to have something you don't or cannot obtain in your game. Also how is say someone buying a copy of Shield and another person buying a copy of Sword any different than 2 people buying a copy of the same game?

Wasn't one of your ''examples'' of a more consumer friendly game, is essentially having both games exist on one disc and having the 2 versions act as 2 separate save files? Isn't this idea ultimately the same only instead of Palkia being locked behind another game, he is instead locked behind another save file. The point of the 2 versions is to "Yes'' sell consoles ( Nintendo and Game Freak is a business afterall) but its to give people reasons to trade. You don't require Sword, to get all the pokemon just like you don't require Shield to get all the pokemon. You act as if you expect 1 person in the entire world to buy the pokemon game and that if anyone else "has'' to buy one its a ''inconvenience''. Its kind of a given that other people would be expected to buy the game as well as yourself, it just now they have a choice depending on what pokemon they like and which legendary they want.

Ultimately, my issue with what Sternling said is that he tried to use Cod as an example of how this model would be s***ty with other franchises, when in a game like Cod, you can't trade, there would literally be no point in having two versions of Cod, and unlike pokemon, if they locked things behind both versions, then you "Would'' have to buy both versions where as with pokemon, you do not. It is a gimmick they use to make kids ( their demographic) feel like they are getting a unique game, compared to their sibling or friend as well as give them incentives to want to trade with said sibling and friend. At the end of the day, yes the model may be there to attempt, to maximize on the amount of money Game Freak and Nintendo earns, but it also isn't like its so predatory that, you absolutely require to own both versions in order to have all the pokemon, the emphasis on trading, is why the two versions exist, its was designed that way originally to force you to leave your house with your Game Boy in hand, and find people to battle and trade with, that has the opposite version to you.
What fun is there in making sense?
SW-3000-8833-9917 (Switch Code) Sword IGN Discord, Shield IGN Eris.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Jim Sterling on the Pokemon Business Plan
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers