This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Jim Sterling on the Pokemon Business Plan

User Info: ThatGuyZ

ThatGuyZ
6 days ago#1
https://youtu.be/H3LmP_iDcco

Just gonna post this here. Watch or don't, I don't care, just getting this out there for those who haven't already seen it.
"I'm just here for the flame wars..."

User Info: RaulJenkins

RaulJenkins
6 days ago#2
i like Jim Sterling
Raul

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
6 days ago#3
The business strategy has a lot to do with how we got where we are.
All the years of marketing emphasis on catching ALL the Pokemon, has conditioned players to expect heavily and extensively recycled games.
Shouting "what did you do that for?" at a stationary bucket of water.

User Info: DryBird

DryBird
6 days ago#4
Two versions was/is brilliant from a business standpoint, and it’s really a minor thing to gripe about. Most people don’t buy both versions from what I’ve seen (because you don’t have to, completing the dex doesn’t matter to most players), and the people that do usually clock so many hours in both that it’s well worth the value. I’m a Jim Sterling fan, but comparing this to what some other companies do is pretty disingenuous.

User Info: Lizuka

Lizuka
6 days ago#5
Watched it earlier and yeah, he's right. These games have always had a very scummy business model and there basically isn't a defense for it beyond tradition.
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: DryBird

DryBird
6 days ago#6
Lum_Yatsura posted...
The business strategy has a lot to do with how we got where we are.
All the years of marketing emphasis on catching ALL the Pokemon, has conditioned players to expect heavily and extensively recycled games.

I’ve met and known A LOT of Pokémon fans in my life, and the number that actually try to complete the Pokédex in any given game is very small. Most people just like the storyline, battle system, team building, etc.

User Info: Enclave

Enclave
6 days ago#7
It indeed has always been scummy, I've never denied that. I do prefer releasing DLC instead of a 3rd version though.
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.

User Info: DementedDurian

DementedDurian
6 days ago#8
Skylanders. Need I remind you guys on that? If you go calling version exclusives and DLC scummy, then tell me what Skylanders is.
You can pick your battles, and you can pick your nose. But you can't pick your battle's nose.

User Info: Enclave

Enclave
6 days ago#9
DementedDurian posted...
Skylanders. Need I remind you guys on that? If you go calling version exclusives and DLC scummy, then tell me what Skylanders is.

Complete trash?

Does something being worse somehow excuse Pokemon?
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.

User Info: Nabinator

Nabinator
6 days ago#10
I have never seen franchise fans defend a sequel's lack of features (or cutting of features) along a lack of innovation like I have with Pokemon. It's so weird, people are content with the bare minimum. Most IPs don't get away with this s***.
(edited 6 days ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Jim Sterling on the Pokemon Business Plan
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers