This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Is SwSh officially the worst Pokemon game ever?

User Info: Andrex_93

Andrex_93
1 week ago#31
Rydershigh posted...
None of them were remotely good tbh
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with this - well, even though I technically am, kinda? As all I'm saying is that I enjoyed SS far more than the previous two, but that doesn't mean that I don't see its severe flaws.
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman

User Info: GujinKami

GujinKami
1 week ago#32
Andrex_93 posted...
Gonna try to keep it short because I need sleep.
Fair.

Andrex_93 posted...
I think we've talked about this before (might have been someone else, though, so bear with me), but absolutely not, Dynamax is limited in time, doesn't automatically boost Stats beyond HP, doesn't give you a broken Ability and the Moves have much lower BP, sometimes even lower than the base Move, so those are already some of the factors that make Dynamax objectively more balanced than lolMegas and arguably even Z-Moves. Keep in mind that, if Singles/Smogon can't handle them, that's not a problem: GF balances around the in-game and VGC.
On the flip side, it gives drastic bulk to many Pokemon that use it (HP is a very important stat) as well as gives you 3 turns of Z-Moves that widely buffs both your Pokemon if it connects. And while there were some heavy outliers in unbalance with Megas, there also existed vast amounts of variety with them. We saw a good dozen viable megas used in VGC 2014, and saying "objectively better" this early on when Mega Khan didn't even become a staple on nearly every team until several years later is again showcasing very heavy bias towards a mechanic you do not like.

Andrex_93 posted...
Which is why the WA is one of the aspects I was more wary of, pre-release, and have criticized the most, post? You're coming off of the biased believe that, just because I don't share your automatic despise for Dexit/this game, that means I am praising SS; that is not the case; I am merely saying that, partly for me, partly in general, they are better than the lowest possible bar set by the series so far, which is the 3DS era, and that was obviously a sweeping statement to match OP's, anyway.
Fair, but I at least disagree that going 3D completely stifled XY's development. There's still thought put into many routes, cities and towns, and going 3D seemed to only trifle content that we would have expected with a 3rd version, or in current cases an expansion. As for me I still fail to see how SwSh holds higher than anything we had gotten previously, including the 3DS generations.

Andrex_93 posted...
SS didn't have even a quarter of all the interruptions, if we consider length, but, again, I wasn't there with a timer or something, so this comes from the feel of play, which still means that SS were much less intrusive and pace-breaking with their cutscenes (I do absolutely think cutscene time is lower, still).
By general comparisons, SM clocks in slightly more dialogue and exposition with cutscene exclusive videos ranging from 5-8 hours, as opposed to SwSh's 4-6 hours. The issue is SM develops their characters, and doesn't linger solely on Hau for example, and while I personally couldn't stomach to replay either games myself, SM at least has some sort of substance and decent pacing to its own writing and story, the same cannot be said for SwSh, which attempts to remain conflict free for the entirety of it (which would had been a better approach) and then suddenly struggling to spring some general conflict onto you near the end of the game.

Andrex_93 posted...
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with this - well, even though I technically am, kinda? As all I'm saying is that I enjoyed SS far more than the previous two, but that doesn't mean that I don't see its severe flaws.
I suppose in this instance it's a measure of expectations. I can't speak for you, but seeing as how half the dex was cut and this is the """first""" mainline game on consoles, I expected much more comparatively to the 3DS games I've grown to abhor over the years. Instead I was delivered a game with essentially half the content (not in dex size, but that in trainers, routes, battles, story, characters, conflict etc) less polish, less visual flare, and an experience that was generally far easier than anything I got out of even SM.

So I supposed I have a grand, personal bias against the Switch games to where, no matter how terrible the 3DS games were, and no matter how much I hate ORAS for simply existing, I really can't bring myself to say that ANY of the 3DS games are worse than what we have now.

But hey, maybe in a year or 2 when we get all the DLC and additional patching, maybe we'll have a game I can hold above the 3DS titles. Maybe.

Good chat though, g'night friend. I'll concede this time so I don't end another thread on my encyclopedia-esque posts :)
~Gujin
http://i.imgur.com/39lX5ve.jpg http://i.imgur.com/9S9glYE.png https://imgur.com/a/Qxo9jXF

User Info: Zephyrnos

Zephyrnos
1 week ago#33
Well X and Y is definitely up there with Sun & Moon right above it but yes it's one of the worst.

User Info: NXmasterrace

NXmasterrace
1 week ago#34
It’s close between XY but I actually bothered to do as much as I could in XY since I reached streaks over 50 in singles, doubles, and triples in the maison. Meanwhile the battle tower here is just a joke, it’s just a soulless bp grinding machine and it isn’t even as good as previous facilities at that. So yeah I’d say it’s the worst
Brb munching on yeetos

User Info: Hirokey123

Hirokey123
1 week ago#35
With how bad DP were and how abysmal XY were...no SwSh is actually an extremely fun pokemon game and closer to the middle for me.
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me

User Info: AlfredoJones

AlfredoJones
1 week ago#36
I don't think they're the worst, but they are certainly the most contentious. I feel like things like the Wild Area are going to be big steps forward for the franchise, and the number of quality of life changes makes it difficult to go back to some older titles. Whether it was worth sacrificing the National Dex is a matter one's personal opinion. I think the biggest thing though is that this gen will likely mark a major shift in the fanbase. I feel a lot of older players are going to be calling it quits this gen, with the void they leave being filled by new fans that SwSh and future titles will bring in. I imagine in time people are going to look back at this whole Dexit controversy and wonder what us old folks were going on about.

If I had to choose a game in the series as "the worst", it would have to be Gen 1. While I respect it for getting the whole gravy train rolling, it should be obvious to anyone with half a brain that those games are broken to hell. I doubt few besides those with deep nostalgia can put up with playing those from beginning to end.
You can't fool me, 'cause I'm a moron!
Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2960-9608-3596
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Zeloetta

Zeloetta
1 week ago#37
Nope. Diamond and Pearl. Completely unplayable at this point.
Formerly known as Mistress_Zelda_
https://imgur.com/mwRRgOv.jpg

User Info: Azardea

Azardea
1 week ago#38
Zeloetta posted...
Nope. Diamond and Pearl. Completely unplayable at this point.
...I almost want to agree with this.
As incredibly disappointing I find SwSh to be, DP are so extremely slow it's not even funny. Sure, there's more to do, but everything is so damn tedious.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL68FD0D7F63715384

User Info: hyperdimeduck

hyperdimeduck
1 week ago#39
No. that's Pokemon Dash
3DS FC: 4682-8590-2294 NNID: AnimeFan12
Official Kintoki-Douji and Isabeau of the SMT 4 boards

User Info: Zeta777

Zeta777
1 week ago#40
Azardea posted...
...I almost want to agree with this.
As incredibly disappointing I find SwSh to be, DP are so extremely slow it's not even funny. Sure, there's more to do, but everything is so damn tedious.
Diamond and Pearl: Mt. Coronet the Game.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Is SwSh officially the worst Pokemon game ever?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers