This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Is SwSh officially the worst Pokemon game ever?

User Info: GujinKami

GujinKami
1 week ago#21
Andrex_93 posted...
Sure, XY had a functional system, especially compared to what came after, for sure (even though it was where using online features to trivialize the in-game became even easier, and the interface looked meh), but half of its online experience was essentially worthless because lol playing formats where Megas are a thing.
This is heavy bias speaking first off. Dynamax are far more polarizing and you can easily make the same argument for why SwSh is just as bad.

Andrex_93 posted...
and the belief that every new Gen should add a shiny new aspect/jump in technology is cancerous, imo, unless you also think Generations should come out every.. 8 years or so? I'll take fifteen Gen 5s, as far as "innovations" go, than one XY, any day of the week.
Second off, given how barebones most of the core game itself is, couldn't you say the same exact thing for the wild area? XY is rather barren yet has very nice setpieces as well as every Pokemon for the time despite being the first jump into 3D, whereas Gamefreak decided to take a gamble with an empty open-world space while taking away heavily in other aspects of the game such as routes, dungeons and Pokemon themselves. Again this same exact argument is applied just as strongly to SwSh.

Andrex_93 posted...
SM's story wasn't good at all: they tried, but the execution was so awful it made the games' replayability plummet to previously unseen levels, in the franchise; the fact that I'd rather replay Y than actually exit the Center in my Moon to actually play that game (only got to that point to redeem Events) should tell you enough of what I think of them.
And finally, it still has a solid foundation for a story regardless, while SwSh has just as much text and just as many gameplay interruptions in comparison, difference being one has you somewhat engaged with the mystery box elements of Gladion, Team Skull and Team Aether all throughout the game, whereas you see Rose like twice before he suddenly starts up a conflict, and the majority of the game is just listening to Hop whine about constantly eating s***. SM would be much worse if you didn't at least have encounters with Gladion or raid Skull's base halfway through the game.

Bare in mind I think the past 3 generations are complete s***e, however with gens 6 and 7, there are many areas that showcased they at least gave somewhat of a damn on what they were developing, and I'm hard pressed to see that sort of passion anywhere in SwSh.
~Gujin
http://i.imgur.com/39lX5ve.jpg http://i.imgur.com/9S9glYE.png https://imgur.com/a/Qxo9jXF
No, but it's definitely among some of the lows, like gens 6 and 7. I think Alola and Galar are my two least favorite regions.
3DS Friend Code: 3437-3571-1418 | IGN: James | A Cultist of the Hoopa Guild
Switch Friend Code: SW-1161-9206-0151 | IGN: Mr. Pockets |

User Info: Apocalypso

Apocalypso
1 week ago#23
I dislike LGPE the most, but I wouldn't classify any of the games as "the worst Pokemon game."
I'm not wondering why the sky's blue. That's not my business.
Not when LGPE exist

User Info: kirbserker

kirbserker
1 week ago#25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zJD9B0za9k
Paper is overpowered, but scissors is fine.
-Rock (RenamonFOX)

User Info: wind64a

wind64a
1 week ago#26
Gold and Silver are a thing, so no. This game, at least, isn't embarrassed to show off its own Pokemon.
Switch FC: 1693-0712-5709

User Info: Andrex_93

Andrex_93
1 week ago#27
Gonna try to keep it short because I need sleep.
GujinKami posted...
This is heavy bias speaking first off. Dynamax are far more polarizing and you can easily make the same argument for why SwSh is just as bad.
I think we've talked about this before (might have been someone else, though, so bear with me), but absolutely not, Dynamax is limited in time, doesn't automatically boost Stats beyond HP, doesn't give you a broken Ability and the Moves have much lower BP, sometimes even lower than the base Move, so those are already some of the factors that make Dynamax objectively more balanced than lolMegas and arguably even Z-Moves. Keep in mind that, if Singles/Smogon can't handle them, that's not a problem: GF balances around the in-game and VGC.

GujinKami posted...
Second off, given how barebones most of the core game itself is, couldn't you say the same exact thing for the wild area? XY is rather barren yet has very nice setpieces as well as every Pokemon for the time despite being the first jump into 3D, whereas Gamefreak decided to take a gamble with an empty open-world space while taking away heavily in other aspects of the game such as routes, dungeons and Pokemon themselves. Again this same exact argument is applied just as strongly to SwSh.
Which is why the WA is one of the aspects I was more wary of, pre-release, and have criticized the most, post? You're coming off of the biased believe that, just because I don't share your automatic despise for Dexit/this game, that means I am praising SS; that is not the case; I am merely saying that, partly for me, partly in general, they are better than the lowest possible bar set by the series so far, which is the 3DS era, and that was obviously a sweeping statement to match OP's, anyway.

GujinKami posted...
And finally, it still has a solid foundation for a story regardless, while SwSh has just as much text and just as many gameplay interruptions in comparison, difference being one has you somewhat engaged with the mystery box elements of Gladion, Team Skull and Team Aether all throughout the game, whereas you see Rose like twice before he suddenly starts up a conflict, and the majority of the game is just listening to Hop whine about constantly eating s***. SM would be much worse if you didn't at least have encounters with Gladion or raid Skull's base halfway through the game.
This is completely subjective once again, but apparently it didn't come across that, since I was responding to a response to my opinion with a further explanation of my opinion, well yeah that was simply what I thought; but let's go into a bit of detail before, again, I go to sleep.

Again, SM tried, for sure, but they failed oh so miserably that a seemingly big part of the fanbase was clamoring for a return to a more "hands-off" story, and, in this regard, SS absolutely wins, as you don't take 4 hours + other 5 because you fall asleep to complete the tutorial section of the game, as opposed to MeleMele Island, probably the worst thing in the franchise right after Megas and yearly releases.

SS didn't have even a quarter of all the interruptions, if we consider length, but, again, I wasn't there with a timer or something, so this comes from the feel of play, which still means that SS were much less intrusive and pace-breaking with their cutscenes (I do absolutely think cutscene time is lower, still).

While I absolutely agree that Rose is severely underdeveloped and that the finale in general is rushed and sloppy, the elements you spoke about were probably the worst parts of SM, for me, aside from the already mentioned stuff: even without closely following the pre-release marketing which revealed everything, it was clear as day who edgy-boy was, Team Skull was mostly insufferable (especially Guzma) and their interaction with Aether ended up being even more disappointing than I imagined, so, yeah, pretty much as little engagement as you could get, from me. "Raiding their base" only made me further miss actual dungeons, in this case those related to Evil Teams.

By comparison, the beginning of SS intrigued me enough without overstaying its welcome and letting me roam into the WA, which is the exact opposite of MeleMele; again, don't get me wrong, still not what I overall think is best, but I would replay SS 10 times before even touching my still freshly started Moon save.

And I must inform that I am not a 2 seconds-attention spam person who hates story in his games: I actually quite enjoy stories and, while recognizing that they're not Shakespeare, I am usually perfectly fine with that these games presented up until Gen 5, where stories hit a peak.. And then went right into the Mariana Trench with the Gen after. So, again, I'm probably sounding overall quite harsh but that's because A) I need sleep and B) if we have to compare stories (which I'm still overall fine with having), then I'll lay it out as I believe it is.
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: CarefreeDude

CarefreeDude
1 week ago#28
*glares at pokemon Channel*
Switch Code: SW-5421-8761-9807 IGN: Chris
(message deleted)

User Info: Rydershigh

Rydershigh
1 week ago#30
it can’t find a clear victor in “which generation sucked the least” all three had such minor ups and severe downs.

XY forgettable cast and boring difficulty? SM refusing to let you do anything by yourself? SwSh yet again boring difficulty, dated appearance. And the three universally feeling soulless and unengaging. Disregarding the price issue and online. None of them were remotely good tbh
*FC:414-1957-7120
"Everyone Withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of a larger forum"
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Is SwSh officially the worst Pokemon game ever?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers