This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Gen 4 was the last gen where all 3 starters were likeable, design-wise at least

User Info: quintonshark163

quintonshark163
1 month ago#1
Then after that, it all started going to most people, from gen 5 having bad designs with bland and unoriginal typings (two mono-types and a 3rd fire/fighting), to all 3 being humanoid in the next two gens where only one of them is popular (Greninja and Decidueye respectively) where as the other 2 were absolutely despised for obvious reasons, to gen 8 being the worst of both worlds, all 3 being humanoids designs with all uninteresting mono-types

I guess animalistic designs with dual-typings should be the way to go instead
FC: 4554-0551-0272 | IGN: TheHungryBox
The Offical Kommo-o of Smash Bros. boards + Ganondorf and Daisy main. The corporations are stupid and corrupted AF

User Info: Fysher

Fysher
1 month ago#2
Torterra is the second worst looking Grass type, beaten only by Meganium. Change my mind.
https://m.imgur.com/wzIGCC2

User Info: Azardea

Azardea
1 month ago#3
I don't care too much for Empoleon, honestly.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL68FD0D7F63715384

User Info: MettanAtem

MettanAtem
1 month ago#4
Fysher posted...
Torterra is the second worst looking Grass type, beaten only by Meganium. Change my mind.
Rather than changing your mind, I'll respect your opinion. I personally like those two, with my least favorite being Sceptile.
Goat.

User Info: the_NGW

the_NGW
1 month ago#5
Chimchar and ESPECIALLY Monferno say otherwise. Hideous.
GP Vs 2016: Second Place Winner
PSN: ourtheNGW | Nintendo Switch: SW-1891-6374-1416 Official R.O.B. of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate board

User Info: Amazing Ampharos

Amazing Ampharos
1 month ago#6
Primarina is considered humanoid these days? That's an interesting take.
3ds FC: 2423-3327-5637
X safari: Pupitar, Boldore, Shuckle

User Info: FuzzyKiwi02

FuzzyKiwi02
1 month ago#7
...I can mostly agree and relate with this.

All the starters from gens 1 through to 4 are ones I love at best and like at worst, and that I enjoy using despite their problems *coughMeganiumcough*.

5 onwards, indifferent at worst. That's when I started not caring for some starters, like Emboar, or the entire Galar trio.
The people that really lack skill are the ones that are too afraid or can't deal with the unknown.

User Info: WingedKuriboh

WingedKuriboh
1 month ago#8
You just feel that way cause in gen 4 and before that, the internet isnt as mainstream as today
I got rich from selling Blue ribbons

User Info: the_NGW

the_NGW
1 month ago#9
WingedKuriboh posted...
You just feel that way cause in gen 4 and before that, the internet isnt as mainstream as today

Internet was pretty big by the time gen 4 rolled around, I remember because I was huge into the community during that time frame. It was also a thing for gen 3, though not as much.
GP Vs 2016: Second Place Winner
PSN: ourtheNGW | Nintendo Switch: SW-1891-6374-1416 Official R.O.B. of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate board

User Info: omegafire18

omegafire18
1 month ago#10
Honestly imo, it varies with the gen, as far as the evolved designs go (not including typing or movesets and so on).

Gen 1 = mainly good. Charizard was great, whereas Venasaur and Blastoise were good, but not quite on the same level
Gen 2 = slightly more mainly good. Typhlosion and Feraligator were great, whereas Meganium was only good overall
Gen 3 = mainly good. Sceptile was definitely great, while Blaziken and Marshtomp were overall good
Gen 4 = slightly more mainly good. Torterra and Infernape were overall great, while Empoleon was good
Gen 5 = slightly more mainly good. Serperior and Samurott definitely looked great, while Emboar was simply good
Gen 6 = slightly more mainly good. Chestnaught and Greninja are pretty badass, while Delphox is in the good region
Gen 7 = mainly good. Decidueye looks pretty great, while Incineroar and Primarina are overall good
Gen 8 = grey area between mainly good and mainly great thus far. All three have their odd bits, for certain, but I can definitely see the different badass and/or cool appeals as well

^That opinion of mine being said, I fail to see how 'humanoid' equates to 'unpopular' lol, considering several pre-Gen 4 starters had some bipedal proportions of their own XD
Just someone with different standards for reality and fiction. The latter is generally much more open, and is personally considered much more interesting.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Gen 4 was the last gen where all 3 starters were likeable, design-wise at least
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers