This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Gigantamax is honestly a poor thought out concept

User Info: wynn728

wynn728
4 days ago#1
So Gigantamax, new forms for Pokemon when they become giant. It's basically like Mega Evolution. However, unlike Mega Evolution only a specific certain type of Pokemon can only do it, which shatters the illusion of building bonds & friendship with your Pokemon because that Pokemon you found in the wild ain't ever going to get that Gigantamax form. No, you got to keep looking in holes to find that special one because all the other Pokemon in the wild will never get strong no matter how you train them. Also you get to only use them for three turns in specific battles, so by the time you're done with the game and are able to catch these Gigantamax Pokemons you don't really have anything to do with them unless you want to do online battles.

What exactly were they thinking with Gigantamax? They're just worse version of Mega Evolution. With Mega's you can at least attach the item to any Pokemon of that type to Mega Evolve them, this whole this is just poorly thought out.

User Info: Majinbuu7985

Majinbuu7985
4 days ago#2
Pretty much everything in this game is poorly thought out. Gamefreak just doesn’t care anymore, move on, let Pokémon finally die.

User Info: BeatScrafty2

BeatScrafty2
4 days ago#3
And the amazing thing is most gigantamax forms are straight up worse than regular dynamax.

So you'll be using them even less.
3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
Switch : 1262-5767-2705
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: Sonic515

Sonic515
4 days ago#4
agreed it is kind of op tbh like

wynn728
4 days ago#5
BeatScrafty2 posted...
And the amazing thing is most gigantamax forms are straight up worse than regular dynamax.

So you'll be using them even less.
Wait seriously? They should've stuck to Mega Evolutions
Yeah the fact that that only certain pokemon can do it and it lessens the amount of overall moves is dumb as hell.

wynn728
4 days ago#7
guerrillakidney posted...
Yeah the fact that that only certain pokemon can do it and it lessens the amount of overall moves is dumb as hell.
Yeah, make so that if I have a Pokemon that has a Gigantamax form then they turn into that no matter what. Or make it so that if I give them enough of that dynamax candy then they get that Gigantamax. Looking at all the Gym Leader and Champion with their Gigantamax Pokemons doesn't give the illusion that they work hard with their Pokemon, it just tells me that these guys spent so much time looking for that certain Pokemon. It's like that one rival kid from Pokemon Diamond & Pearl who capture Pokemon with the higher stats.

User Info: Arethai

Arethai
3 days ago#8
They’re not satisfying at all from a immersion aspect is it.

Just hoping they’ll change G-max forms to mega’s in a future game, a thing that got people actually excited for the designs and gameplay applications.
3DS FC: 1521-3102-6439

User Info: Wetterdew

Wetterdew
3 days ago#9
I prefer them to megas because:

-They don't waste an item slot
-You don't have to keep track of dozens of mega stones in your bag and among your Pokemon
-Any Pokemon can dynamax even if unevolved
-The gigantamax forms generally look cooler than mega evolutions.
-The raids are fun to do

The biggest problem is that you can't make a Pokemon learn how to Gmax. I think they should make it so that when you catch a Gmax Pokemon, it's holding a candy that other Pokemon of its species can eat which makes them capable of Gigantamaxing. That way, if you want to make your story Corviknight/Grimmsnarl/whatever able to gmax, you have to go and fight and catch one that can. Then take its candy and feed it to your Corviknight.

Maybe you shouldn't even have to catch it, maybe just make it one of the rewards for fainting a gigantamax.
Touch fuzzy get dizzy.
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: GujinKami

GujinKami
3 days ago#10
Wetterdew posted...
I prefer them to megas because:

-They don't waste an item slot
-You don't have to keep track of dozens of mega stones in your bag and among your Pokemon
-Any Pokemon can dynamax even if unevolved
-The gigantamax forms generally look cooler than mega evolutions.
-The raids are fun to do

The biggest problem is that you can't make a Pokemon learn how to Gmax. I think they should make it so that when you catch a Gmax Pokemon, it's holding a candy that other Pokemon of its species can eat which makes them capable of Gigantamaxing.

From a casual, single player perspective yeah they can be argued to be better than megas (though visually is subjective and I think a lot of Gmax mons look like dogs*** compared to megas)

But beyond that they just have a ton of issues tied to them. Allowing anyone to dynamax without having to waste an item slot screams balance issue, which contradicts the point they attempted to make months prior that they wanted the game's to have better balance. On top of that, Gmax mons are almost impossible to regularly acquire outside of exploiting or events, and are almost never worth using compared to standard dmax Pokemon.

It really feels like a concept they only half-baked for the game tbh
~Gujin
http://i.imgur.com/39lX5ve.jpg http://i.imgur.com/9S9glYE.png https://imgur.com/a/Qxo9jXF
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Gigantamax is honestly a poor thought out concept
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers