This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Who first discovered Effort Values and Individual Values in Pokemon?

User Info: CarefreeDude

CarefreeDude
4 days ago#1
Just curious who the original poke-pioneer was/were
Switch Code: SW-5421-8761-9807 IGN: Chris

User Info: Regurk_Abas

Regurk_Abas
4 days ago#2
John Eviv
Jeuchalais Evule Plelat
https://www.youtube.com/user/RegurkAbas/playlists

User Info: Isoprophlex

Isoprophlex
4 days ago#3
Regurk_Abas posted...
John Eviv

Lmfao

User Info: Zargon19

Zargon19
4 days ago#4
Actually a fun question and it would be neat to see what the discovery process was like. I don't know that it's documented anywhere but I'm sure someone could tell you how it went down, at least. There are things in-game hinting to them though, so it's likely that probably got people thinking, but yeah i mean the math involved to calculate them must have been something to come up with.
The power of rice compels you.

User Info: ssbmrocks

ssbmrocks
4 days ago#5
Isoprophlex posted...
Lmfao

ūüėÜ truly a man for the history books
I ask the important questions.

User Info: Koro-Pok-Guru

Koro-Pok-Guru
4 days ago#6
Nobody?

Old RPGs were often sold with complete guides that highlight hidden mechanics (that's still the case). It wouldn't be surprising if EV & IV were featured or hinted in those guides.

Glitches, bugs, exploits etc... are another story tho.
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Shinyuki

User Info: WrathSairou

WrathSairou
4 days ago#7
I didn't start hearing about them until gen 3.
DD:DA Switch - Pawn Name: Xandra - Pawn ID: 0F9A-797B-54D7
Character Name: Deus

User Info: stanthaman90

stanthaman90
4 days ago#8
Koro-Pok-Guru posted...
Nobody?

Old RPGs were often sold with complete guides that highlight hidden mechanics (that's still the case). It wouldn't be surprising if EV & IV were featured or hinted in those guides.

Glitches, bugs, exploits etc... are another story tho.

The old guide books hinted at them, but never really went out and said it, just that Pokemon used in battles would be stronger than freshly caught or untrained guys. Internet and forums were relatively new, so everything was just wore of mouth and rumors since the games never officially explained the mechanics. I remember we were always under the impression that rare candying your Pokemon to 100 made them weaker than an actual grinded lv 100 poke. Never really had any idea on what they truly were until randomly stumbling upon Serebii site in gen 3 and learning about the whole process.

User Info: NS-4701

NS-4701
4 days ago#9
I knew about something similar in gen 1. I remember the trick was to deplete all their PP, stick them in the bank, withdraw, then heal. This would boost the stats.
Didn't know they were called IVs/EVs back then. (Came to find out later the gen 1 system was different anyway)
I knew about it in gen 3 when it was first introduced, but didn't get into it until gen 4.

I would not consider myself the pioneer for it though. It was something I discovered as I played
PSN: NS-4701 | NNID: NS-4701 SW-4146-9726-2116
AMD Threadripper 1900X | Radeon RX Vega 64 | 32GB 3200 MHz | Samsung 960 EVO Pro NVME
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: emagdnE

emagdnE
4 days ago#10
Dataminers.

Same way we knew about all the new stuff older pokémon not in R/S got before FR/LG's release.

Datamining and rom hacks were mostly limited to NES, SNES, Game Boy, and Game Boy Advance games back then instead of instantly datamining any new game as soon as it gets leaked onto the internet. But it was a thing even back then.

We knew about EVs (although they preferred to call it "stat EXP") and IVs before R/S, really. Even if the information wasn't as widespread.

And yes, while the current EV system was in Gen 3, IVs always existed. But they went from 0-15 instead of 0-31.
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
(edited 4 days ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Who first discovered Effort Values and Individual Values in Pokemon?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers