This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. How on earth did ign give this a 9.3?
Koola1 posted...
Gravis_Mortorum posted...
The game sold well. Lots of people enjoyed it. Why are you still kicking around trying to be contrary?

The obvious answer is "because people liking something doesn't mean it's objectively good.".

It’s a video game. It got solid reviews, sold incredibly well, and has been generally enjoyed and well received by the vast majority of the community. What would a video game, who’s purpose is to entertain and sell, need to do beyond that to be “objectively good”?
Seriously dude, you sound pretty whiny.
ai123 posted...
A reviewer is entitled to ignore leak criticisms and base their review on their own experience.

Blasphemy!!!! The reviewer must address every contrived controversy in their review and cater to those that desperately want the game to fail! If they ignore even a single criticism or forget to mention just one tiny gripe, the review is trash!
This community...

User Info: Contracts

Contracts
2 days ago#193
It’s funny how hard people are still trying to bash a game that has already proven to be a huge success

By this metric, Suicide Squad was a good movie and the The Hobbit trilogy is just as good as the Lord of the Rings, if not a bit better.
I offer contracts. You get a wish. And other stuff! Apply now!
*Contracts now feature NDA's. No termination clauses*

User Info: MasterWeasel

MasterWeasel
2 days ago#194
panforis posted...
theft is theft(taking something that doesnt belong to you)

Which, again, I didn’t do. You seem to be under the impression that I downloaded the game from Nintendo’s servers without paying.

User Info: aryanbrar

aryanbrar
2 days ago#195
It’s funny how hard people are still trying to bash a game that has already proven to be a huge success and an obvious step forward for the franchise. Sad.

is cod a good game because it sells well??
answer that question

User Info: Koola1

Koola1
2 days ago#196
ai123 posted...
A reviewer is entitled to ignore leak criticisms and base their review on their own experience.

A reviewer is entitled to ignore leak criticisms. This is true.

Where this line of thinking falls apart is when that same reviewer tells you, the reader, to ignore leak criticisms because that just means you, the reader, is blindly following an opinion, and should instead listen to her, the reviewer, tell you there's no problems instead. She isn't saying "I didn't base my review on the leaks." She's telling you to stop believing the criticisms found in the leaks, as if they don't actually exist.

Criticisms are criticisms, by the way. They aren't opinions, they are problems. A reviewer should address these problems and either acknowledge their existence, or provide a counter-point to prove they aren't problems, or are relatively minor and avoidable. When you ignore problems in favor of just giving the game you like a good review, that makes you a terrible reviewer.

A well-liked game can be objectively bad. A much-hated game can be objectively good. These are not alien concepts. No one is saying you can't like the game. You can like whatever you want. But when you say there are no issues in the game, you are lying.

User Info: ChibiRidley

ChibiRidley
2 days ago#197
Koola1 posted...
The game sold well. Lots of people enjoyed it. Why are you still kicking around trying to be contrary?

The obvious answer is "because people liking something doesn't mean it's objectively good.".

Video game reviews are not objective and are not supposed to be objective.
Formally bet on 10/29/2018 that if Jibanyan is a playable character in Smash Ultimate, I will close my account

User Info: ai123

ai123
2 days ago#198
aryanbrar posted...
It’s funny how hard people are still trying to bash a game that has already proven to be a huge success and an obvious step forward for the franchise. Sad.

is cod a good game because it sells well??
answer that question

I'm sure a lot of people think it is good. Otherwise, why would they buy it?

Sales success means that a lot of people want a thing and are prepared to pay for it.
'The sprites is ridiculous polygons'

User Info: Sonic515

Sonic515
2 days ago#199
it didnt need a 9.3 tho

User Info: Contracts

Contracts
2 days ago#200
Koola1 posted...
A well-liked game can be objectively bad.

First thing that popped into my head was Megaman Battle Network 4. I like the game, but WOW it wasn't actually good. They bungled that far worse than the mistakes made in this game.

That said, objectively bad is a really hard place to reach. Good and bad are inherently subjective concepts, and many of the missteps in this game are in places that will effect different people to different degrees. An IGN reviewer should be assumed to be the most casual possible player of any given game with a bias toward high reviews that keep the game's maker willing to send advance copies.

With that in mind, a 9.3 seems almost expected, the game can be quickly breezed through and has plenty of smooth textures and shiny bits sate the reviewer. Add a point and a half to keep nintendo happy enough to send advances of the next title. Someone who would spend more time on the game would notice more and more of the flaws, and someone invested in the series would notice even more, but a casual reviewer won't see them as much, and what IS seen would be seen as less important to them.

Anyone who has more of an investment in a series or title, or who intends to spend a decent amount of time playing something would be better served not using major review sites, as their reviews aren't going to mesh with the type of player you are. Someone who is more casual/forgiving would be fine using review sites since it reflects their own casual playstyles and interactions.
I offer contracts. You get a wish. And other stuff! Apply now!
*Contracts now feature NDA's. No termination clauses*
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. How on earth did ign give this a 9.3?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers