This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Pokemon that make good starters of non starter types

User Info: soothsayer

soothsayer
4 weeks ago#1
Basically pokemon that aren't just the 3 basic starter types that you feel work well as starters due to their growth/stats/etc.

For example, I think the lillipup line are an excellent pick for a normal type starter. Lillipup is a solid early game mon, he can have useful abilities for your journey, he evolves at levels similar to what traditional starters evolve at and stoutland is a solid mon with stats comparable to the starter final forms.

User Info: Xephares

Xephares
4 weeks ago#2
My main man Bidoof/Bibarel of course

User Info: LouisCyphre6

LouisCyphre6
4 weeks ago#3
I'd say Staraptor. After I accidentally released my starter (Grotle) in my first Pokemon game, Staraptor carried me all through the game. It's a speedy attacker with a decent set of moves. Just don't send it out against a rock type gym until it has fighting type moves. If I hadn't waited until after the first gym to accidentally release my starter, don't think I would have made it of course I didn't know what Starly would turn into with it being my first game

User Info: soothsayer

soothsayer
4 weeks ago#4
LouisCyphre6 posted...
I'd say Staraptor. After I accidentally released my starter (Grotle) in my first Pokemon game, Staraptor carried me all through the game. It's a speedy attacker with a decent set of moves. Just don't send it out against a rock type gym until it has fighting type moves. If I hadn't waited until after the first gym to accidentally release my starter, don't think I would have made it of course I didn't know what Starly would turn into with it being my first game

This is a good pick, yeah. I was so pleasantly surprised first time I saw my rather derpy looking staravia evolve into a total BAMF. Then he learned close combat and was like, huh? Then I see the move's BP when forgetting one of the old ones and my jaw DROPPED, dude was BEAST.

User Info: Dumb-Fumbler

Dumb-Fumbler
4 weeks ago#5
Oddly enough, lotad. But given the water stone along with the 4th gym badge and it’s transition can work like a normal starter.

same for seedot

Icicle Crash + Heat Crash = Waterfall

User Info: SmashingBros

SmashingBros
4 weeks ago#6
Vikavolt, at least in USUM. It's a great Pokemon, and Charjabug can carry its weight shockingly well. The only downside was waiting for Vast Poni Canyon. Moving the location to Blush Mountain (AKA on to Ulaula, which is about when starters evolve anyway) was one of Ultra's best changes.
*horrible bird imitations*
I'm probably either bored or procrastinating. Or both.

User Info: MissCarriage

MissCarriage
4 weeks ago#7
Mareep, Bounsweet.
FC: 2981-5975-5185, Flaming Emblems, Light Priestesses, and Toxic Seahorses

User Info: IMONFIREGUY

IMONFIREGUY
4 weeks ago#8
Most 2 stage early route birds due to their evolution levels (starly, fletchling, pikipek, and pidgey, with the latter having a mega evolution that even the LGPE rival uses in the final battle)

User Info: tyman6876

tyman6876
4 weeks ago#9
Ampharos was better than the actual starters at times
FC: 3583-4718-0257
IGN: Either Noah or Tyrell

User Info: Sammuthegreat

Sammuthegreat
4 weeks ago#10
Whismur
Zubat
Pidgey