This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. How many more gens before Game Freak realizes that...

User Info: Masenko86

Masenko86
1 month ago#11
SmokyProgg posted...
Masenko86 posted...
But the people who go to stores to get the shinies that they want to appeal to generally aren’t shiny hunters because shiny hunters want to find the shiny themselves. They can still do the event for people who don’t want to hunt them while not locking them for people who want to hunt them

Fair point, but they still probably think getting the shiny hunters into the store will increase the odds that they buy. No idea how much that actually works. I'm sure not all shiny hunters keep playing every new gen, but I'm not sure if this would make a significant difference.

And give the event ones a special move if they still want to lure people into the stores for it. It’s still unnecessary to lock shinies for them to use this same marketing ploy.

Maybe, maybe not. A special look might entice people more than a special move.

It’s just frustrating for people like me who don’t like shiny handouts but like hunting shiny legendaries. I mean, I get what you’re saying too. I just wonder if the sales have gone up since they started this stupid trend, and they attribute the increase in sales to that trend rather than the fact that they have a loyal audience who play the games, not for the shiny handouts but for the games themselves, and then more kids plus older players = bigger fan base and more sales.

User Info: SmokyProgg

SmokyProgg
1 month ago#12
Masenko86 posted...
It’s just frustrating for people like me who don’t like shiny handouts but like hunting shiny legendaries. I mean, I get what you’re saying too. I just wonder if the sales have gone up since they started this stupid trend, and they attribute the increase in sales to that trend rather than the fact that they have a loyal audience who play the games, not for the shiny handouts but for the games themselves, and then more kids plus older players = bigger fan base and more sales.

Yeah, I'm sorry, it is annoying to deal with. I wouldn't be surprised if they had data from stores, like how many preorders were made each day, and they saw an uptick in preorders during the times when the distributions were active. I don't think they'd ever assume based on overall sales data that one single factor was responsible for the sales. Who knows.
(o_o.,;'.\
. ||. ||. \';.',;.,.

Masenko86
1 month ago#13
SmokyProgg posted...
Masenko86 posted...

Yeah, I'm sorry, it is annoying to deal with. I wouldn't be surprised if they had data from stores, like how many preorders were made each day, and they saw an uptick in preorders during the times when the distributions were active. I don't think they'd ever assume based on overall sales data that one single factor was responsible for the sales. Who knows.

That sounds more accurate, but did the number of online sales get altered due to people doing the orders in the stores? I would think online sales would be lower since people would be getting them in stores while getting the event, so wouldn’t that complicate how much of the online sales were new customers who weren’t even aware of the event vs online orders from people who didn’t care about the event? I just don’t see how it can be quantified as easily as they think it can.

User Info: SmokyProgg

SmokyProgg
1 month ago#14
Masenko86 posted...
SmokyProgg posted...
Masenko86 posted...

That sounds more accurate, but did the number of online sales get altered due to people doing the orders in the stores? I would think online sales would be lower since people would be getting them in stores while getting the event, so wouldn’t that complicate how much of the online sales were new customers who weren’t even aware of the event vs online orders from people who didn’t care about the event? I just don’t see how it can be quantified as easily as they think it can.

I don't know how they decide what works and what doesn't, I'm just guessing on these things, but I don't think they think it's easy to separate factors
(o_o.,;'.\
. ||. ||. \';.',;.,.

User Info: LordDiscord

LordDiscord
1 month ago#15
SmokyProgg posted...
Masenko86 posted...
But the people who go to stores to get the shinies that they want to appeal to generally aren’t shiny hunters because shiny hunters want to find the shiny themselves. They can still do the event for people who don’t want to hunt them while not locking them for people who want to hunt them

Fair point, but they still probably think getting the shiny hunters into the store will increase the odds that they buy. No idea how much that actually works. I'm sure not all shiny hunters keep playing every new gen, but I'm not sure if this would make a significant difference.

And give the event ones a special move if they still want to lure people into the stores for it. It’s still unnecessary to lock shinies for them to use this same marketing ploy.

Maybe, maybe not. A special look might entice people more than a special move.

Honestly, I would be more enticed to go to the store for a new pokemon, or new Regional Form that did not appear in the games. If they made that a thing, I sure as heck would go, but if it's just a shiny, it would have to be a damn impressive looking shiny to get me to go. A Red Solgaleo is not going to entice me the same way a Shiny Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi or Rayquaza would.
What fun is there in making sense?

User Info: GRankbowhunter

GRankbowhunter
1 month ago#16
Everytime i go into ebgames i lose 200-300 bucks hell i even got the platnium card after buying what was it 12000 a year in store lol.

User Info: felica

felica
1 month ago#17
With the recent releases of Solagelo Lunala and Necromza along with all the tapus, The only pokemon that are still shiny locked are

Keldeo
Victini
Meloetta
Hoopa
Volcanion
Cosmog
Cosmomen
Magearna
Marshadow
Zeraora

Although fun fact,. You can hack Keldeo Meloetta Hoopa and Victini to be shiny in gen 7 and they will pass the online checks. Makes u think they were planning to release shiny events for them but never did.

But basically the point is all "Catachable" pokemon are no longer shiny locked. So i don't see the problem here.
Patiently waiting for KH3 Final Mix/Pokemon Shield
3DS FC-5000-7114-0158 TSV-2787 IGN-Evan

Masenko86
4 weeks ago#18
felica posted...
With the recent releases of Solagelo Lunala and Necromza along with all the tapus, The only pokemon that are still shiny locked are

Keldeo
Victini
Meloetta
Hoopa
Volcanion
Cosmog
Cosmomen
Magearna
Marshadow
Zeraora

Although fun fact,. You can hack Keldeo Meloetta Hoopa and Victini to be shiny in gen 7 and they will pass the online checks. Makes u think they were planning to release shiny events for them but never did.

But basically the point is all "Catachable" pokemon are no longer shiny locked. So i don't see the problem here.

Because people don’t want to be gifted those shinies. They want to be able to hunt them and find them. How is it special if everyone just gets gifted one? Tell me a game in which I can find Solgaleo, Lunala, the Tapus, etc shiny in game with no events/mystery gifts/distributions and I’ll concede. Actually, if it were an event like in gen 4 where you get an item and then encounter them (then again, I’m talking mainly about mythicals, but while I’m mentioning events and while Lati@s is a counter-example to event items being reserved for mythicals), and we could do soft resets or run aways and not have them shiny locked, that would be great. Then, they can have their distribution to make that Pokémon more special, the shiny isn’t guaranteed which makes it more special to shiny hunters, but it’s still accessible rather than locked. Everyone wins if they go back to doing distributions that way... except the lazy ones who want the shiny just given to them, but they can just gen the shiny if they want to be lazy about it, so I still say everyone wins. But nooo. The shiny lock forces us to take their not-so-special shiny that everyone and their mother has.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. How many more gens before Game Freak realizes that...
  • Topic Archived