This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. How many more gens before Game Freak realizes that...

User Info: Masenko86

Masenko86
4 weeks ago#1
Shiny locks are illogical and inconsistent with how they treat shinies throughout the games? “Yeah we decided that it would be confusing if they saw the cover legends and other new legends in the overworld and cutscenes with normal colors and then encounter them shiny. Also, we’ll include legendaries from previous gens that you can also see in the overworld not shiny, but they can be shiny when you get into the encounter because it’s suddenly not confusing at that point. Also, we’ll repeat inconsistent shiny locks in future games because it’s intermittently confusing and not confusing, depending on the Pokémon.”

User Info: SmokyProgg

SmokyProgg
4 weeks ago#2
How many more gens til you realize it's so that they can use them as bonuses to get you into stores or do other things?
(o_o.,;'.\
. ||. ||. \';.',;.,.

Masenko86
4 weeks ago#3
SmokyProgg posted...
How many more gens til you realize it's so that they can use them as bonuses to get you into stores or do other things?

I’m more or less referring to their lame excuse they use. But when will they realize that people will literally just get the event from the store while they’re out and about, and that shiny locking them only rubs us the wrong way and doesn’t encourage us to throw more money their way?

SmokyProgg
4 weeks ago#4
Masenko86 posted...
SmokyProgg posted...

I’m more or less referring to their lame excuse they use. But when will they realize that people will literally just get the event from the store while they’re out and about, and that shiny locking them only rubs us the wrong way and doesn’t encourage us to throw more money their way?

Yeah I'm sure nobody ever goes to pick up a Pokemon in-store and thinks "while I'm here, I might as well pre-order the next game." Marketing doesn't ever rely on the fact that humans can be impulsive and that just being in the store makes someone more likely to buy a thing.
(o_o.,;'.\
. ||. ||. \';.',;.,.

User Info: Galar

Galar
4 weeks ago#5
I don't think they ever used an excuse for Shiny locks...
"Maybe people who are sad can choose Sobble. (Laughs)" - Junichi Masuda

Masenko86
4 weeks ago#6
SmokyProgg posted...
Masenko86 posted...
SmokyProgg posted...

Yeah I'm sure nobody ever goes to pick up a Pokemon in-store and thinks "while I'm here, I might as well pre-order the next game." Marketing doesn't ever rely on the fact that humans can be impulsive and that just being in the store makes someone more likely to buy a thing.

They can and were already going to pre-order the next game online anyway. It just inconveniences them by forcing them to go to the store. Obviously the people who want to hunt the shinies are hardcore fans who are going to keep getting the games. And if they were to stop getting the games, it wouldn’t be because “OMG they didn’t force me to go to the store, so I have no interest in getting the next game all of a sudden.”

SmokyProgg
4 weeks ago#7
You don't seem to understand how marketing works. You're acting like the potential audience is a single monolithic thing that will only make "rational" decisions or that the marketing needs to work on everybody, when the potential audience is a wide range of people who require different levels and styles of marketing to push them from "uninterested" or "unaware" or "curious" to "intending to purchase." There are certainly plenty of people who match your description, people who are just going to order online and people who are hardcore enough to hunt for shinies and play every game, and there probably aren't many (if any) people who would flip from "I don't care at all about this game" to "I'm so excited for this game" just because a shiny was dangled in front of them, but there certainly are casual people who wouldn't necessarily actively hunt shinies but think "oh cool a red Solgaleo, I'm gonna go pick that up" and then while they're there, they think "I might as well pre-order Sword."
It's not about swaying everybody. It's just about giving a little push to people on the fence.
(o_o.,;'.\
. ||. ||. \';.',;.,.

Masenko86
4 weeks ago#8
Galar posted...
I don't think they ever used an excuse for Shiny locks...

I felt certain the exaggerated reason I stated was given one time, but I’m having trouble finding that, so maybe my memory sucks. I did find a video that claimed an interview with Masuda stated the locks were because legendaries are supposed to be special on their own, and letting them be shiny a) added too much special on top of what they already considered to be special, b) made people only care about getting them shiny, which made the legendary itself less special (in their opinion). This is an equally dumb response to the one I started this topic with. Shiny locking them isn’t going to force anyone to think the regular form is more special. They’re going to do like most people who aren’t newbies and just box it and move on (some would do it anyway, but now the shiny hunters will as well, so it in essence backfires and makes the legendaries used even less).

Masenko86
4 weeks ago#9
SmokyProgg posted...
You don't seem to understand how marketing works. You're acting like the potential audience is a single monolithic thing that will only make "rational" decisions or that the marketing needs to work on everybody, when the potential audience is a wide range of people who require different levels and styles of marketing to push them from "uninterested" or "unaware" or "curious" to "intending to purchase." There are certainly plenty of people who match your description, people who are just going to order online and people who are hardcore enough to hunt for shinies and play every game, and there probably aren't many (if any) people who would flip from "I don't care at all about this game" to "I'm so excited for this game" just because a shiny was dangled in front of them, but there certainly are casual people who wouldn't necessarily actively hunt shinies but think "oh cool a red Solgaleo, I'm gonna go pick that up" and then while they're there, they think "I might as well pre-order Sword."
It's not about swaying everybody. It's just about giving a little push to people on the fence.

But the people who go to stores to get the shinies that they want to appeal to generally aren’t shiny hunters because shiny hunters want to find the shiny themselves. They can still do the event for people who don’t want to hunt them while not locking them for people who want to hunt them. And give the event ones a special move if they still want to lure people into the stores for it. It’s still unnecessary to lock shinies for them to use this same marketing ploy. That’s what you don’t seem to get.

SmokyProgg
4 weeks ago#10
Masenko86 posted...
But the people who go to stores to get the shinies that they want to appeal to generally aren’t shiny hunters because shiny hunters want to find the shiny themselves. They can still do the event for people who don’t want to hunt them while not locking them for people who want to hunt them

Fair point, but they still probably think getting the shiny hunters into the store will increase the odds that they buy. No idea how much that actually works. I'm sure not all shiny hunters keep playing every new gen, but I'm not sure if this would make a significant difference.

And give the event ones a special move if they still want to lure people into the stores for it. It’s still unnecessary to lock shinies for them to use this same marketing ploy.

Maybe, maybe not. A special look might entice people more than a special move.
(o_o.,;'.\
. ||. ||. \';.',;.,.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. How many more gens before Game Freak realizes that...
  • Topic Archived