• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Do you think pokemon would have been better off if the dex....

User Info: Twinklestar

Twinklestar
1 week ago#41
Lum_Yatsura posted...

Don't most Digimon games shake up the gameplay too much for keeping creatures to work well?

The point is, the games don't ask you or have a reminder for you to collect all the creatures. You're meant to just pick what you want and defeat the rest. And that's how you're supposed to play Pokemon games as well from now on. Just play with the few you like, don't bother making a collection since they're just gonna be stuck at older games or Home for the next games.

User Info: Dark Gunner

Dark Gunner
1 week ago#42
I guess it could be more like an SMT or Persona situation going forward too. They don't bring back every demon or Persona in every game either.

They even update and change some in each game, which is maybe comparable to regionals.
Mario Maker 2: SteveKoopa: ID 6K7-PR2-TWG
Smash Ultimate Mains: Samus, Lucas, Joker

User Info: thebestestbest

thebestestbest
1 week ago#43
AlfredoJones posted...
thebestestbest posted...
It is perfectly reasonable to expect the franchise that sells tens of millions of copies to keep growing and not cut off old monsters.
There was always going to come a time when no amount of money was going to keep all of the Pokemon in and have a solid game to go along with them. That time probably wasn't now, but the powers that be decided to rip the bandage off now.

At the rate they are releasing new pokemon, that time was never going to come. They are making several orders of magnitude more money than is needed to support all the monsters every iteration.

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
1 week ago#44
That doesn't mean throwing money down the gutter. Pokemon that players do not use, still take time and cost money to add.
Shouting "what did you do that for?" at a stationary bucket of water.

User Info: thebestestbest

thebestestbest
1 week ago#45
Lum_Yatsura posted...
That doesn't mean throwing money down the gutter. Pokemon that players do not use, still take time and cost money to add.

They have the money to pay people to do this.

What's the alternative, they line their pockets with it?

Lum_Yatsura
1 week ago#46
thebestestbest posted...
Lum_Yatsura posted...

They have the money to pay people to do this.

What's the alternative, they line their pockets with it?

A complete overhaul. Just where is all the money going? We know the proceeds aren't being invested back into making pokemon seriously an AAA-class blockbuster game.

User Info: Dumb-Fumbler

Dumb-Fumbler
1 week ago#47
Splatdude431 posted...
I still don't understand why people say the dex cut is something that NEEDED to happen EVENTUALLY. I have yet to get a good reason as to why people think this.

If you think technology advances slower and slower each year and that the current models can be used indefinitely then Idk what to tell you. Expecting these models to still be in use 10 years from now when GF have updated their graphics consistently throughout the years. Of course they’re not top tier, but it’s dishonest to say they don’t get an upgrade every generation.

Last sprite Pokémon changes were Gen 1 to 2

then 2-3

3-4

4-5

and biggest one is 5-6

6-8 have not shown any drastic or significant jump other than the textures of each Pokémon being updated to not look like papier-mâché on a 3D model of say a sylveon.

just because the current models are in use right now does not mean they are going to be in use by gen 11 or gen 12, near the predicted end of the Switch’s life.

Or are Nintendo using the N64 Mario in odyssey? Did that model of Mario from 20 years back make it through to Odyssey? Oh right, it didn’t. And that’s only for one model, imagine 800+ of them.

I already knew that this was not sustainable when they jumped to 3D. If they remained in the sprites then I couldn’t see a reason for them to start cutting, but here we are, with 3D models, some having 12,000 polygon counts. Those aren’t 2D sprites like in Black and White1/2.

That Gyrados model you saw in stadium? Where is it in modern Pokémon? Oh right, non existent because they need to be updated for more modern standards.

You're saying you have not seen a reason for why some already saw this happening, I’m giving you MY reason. Making the models that are 10 years old, within 10 years from now they will need to be updated to whatever new system Nintendo has. Then again, again again, and again for decades.

and expecting this powerhouse of a franchise to not go one for several more decades when it prints money? Please.

Its even more evident, the games have required more and more work throughout the years to do. Not only from GF, but from GF, Creatures, Outsourced workers etc. they are aware that the 200 people at GF are not enough as the games require more.

X/Y required way more work than D/P. Sun and Moon required way more workforce than X/Y. And SS required way more work than Sun and Moon.

Icicle Crash + Heat Crash = Waterfall

Lum_Yatsura
1 week ago#48
If nothing else, from time to time the developers will get bored with the models and want to do something else like a different art style.

User Info: Dumb-Fumbler

Dumb-Fumbler
1 week ago#49
Lum_Yatsura posted...
If nothing else, from time to time the developers will get bored with the models and want to do something else like a different art style.
Not even that if I’m going to be frank. Once they put themselves on the loop of being in the 3D model cycle they doomed themselves.

Had the Pokémon stayed as 2D sprites they would have been way easier to maintain and update where it wouldn’t even be an issue to update them as an art style of a 2D sprite can take them pretty far. But the 3D models can’t take them that far, when the 2D art style is what is doing most of the work for these 3D models. It’s not possible with the change to 3D.
Icicle Crash + Heat Crash = Waterfall

User Info: Dark Gunner

Dark Gunner
1 week ago#50
I really like good sprite work too. That would have been fun if that's how it stayed now that you mention it
Mario Maker 2: SteveKoopa: ID 6K7-PR2-TWG
Smash Ultimate Mains: Samus, Lucas, Joker
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Do you think pokemon would have been better off if the dex....
  • Topic Archived