• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Pokémon Play Style?

User Info: Sammuthegreat

Sammuthegreat
4 weeks ago#11
KurisuFenris posted...
Nuzlocke.
Even for a new game.

User Info: Desparae

Desparae
4 weeks ago#12
I catch a team of 6, typically somewhat planned out before I start the game. Usually half physical attackers and half special attackers, with as many types covered as possible. Almost always I will have a water and a flying type, and often a fire and a grass type as well. The rest are filled in based on what attacking types I still need.

I choose which pokemon in particular to use based on how cool they look and their stats. My party members are always strong offensively, typically with 100+ bases in either Att or SpA. And usually they are fast too. Think stuff like Starmie, Crobat or Weavile. But I will also sometimes use slower pokemon like Magneton or Slowbro, since they can tank hits and deal a lot of damage.

Each pokemon has at least one reliable STAB move, with one or two extra coverage moves, depending if it has a status or setup move. So for example, Starmie might run Surf/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Recover while Magneton could have Thunderbolt/Flash Cannon/Tri Attack/Thunder wave. I keep at least one or two status moves like Thunder Wave or Sleep Powder for catching pokemon throughout the game.

I rotate my team constantly to keep them within a couple levels of each other; I get super ocd about that. I also talk to everyone and explore every area possible before moving on.

Oh yeah, and I also try to get good natures on my party when possible, usually via use of a synchronizer that I catch early game.

User Info: Andrex_93

Andrex_93
4 weeks ago#13
Desparae posted...
I rotate my team constantly to keep them within a couple levels of each other; I get super ocd about that. I also talk to everyone and explore every area possible before moving on.

Oh yeah, and I also try to get good natures on my party when possible, usually via use of a synchronizer that I catch early game.

Oh, yeah, this as well: curse of knowledge, I guess, but I just can't use bad Natures; heck, when IVs are visible, I also cant' stand having awful ones.

I keep my Levels even, usually with my Starter being one Level above the rest (but, really, it's mostly about a keeping things even, trying to use everything).

Oh and, also, no Legendaries (or Mythicals).
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman

User Info: Judgmenl

Judgmenl
4 weeks ago#14
I play the story, and then catch some Pokemon and idk I just stop after that.
I don't touch online because of cheaters.

After I finish the game, I don't go back to play it again because lack of save game management, and not owning a DS/3DS anymore (they both broke due to hinges, I hate the DS family).
Remember folks, social media is dangerous for your mental well-being. Consume responsibly.
You're a regular Jack Kerouac

User Info: Desparae

Desparae
4 weeks ago#15
Andrex_93 posted...
Desparae posted...

Oh, yeah, this as well: curse of knowledge, I guess, but I just can't use bad Natures; heck, when IVs are visible, I also cant' stand having awful ones.

I keep my Levels even, usually with my Starter being one Level above the rest (but, really, it's mostly about a keeping things even, trying to use everything).

Yeah, same for me with the IVs. If I have like below 10 in an important stat it kinda bothers me, even though it doesn’t really matter for ingame.

And yeah no legendaries. Preferably most of my team is caught low level and early game (halfway through or less) because I enjoy evolving them up.

User Info: Andrex_93

Andrex_93
4 weeks ago#16
Desparae posted...
Andrex_93 posted...
Desparae posted...

Yeah, same for me with the IVs. If I have like below 10 in an important stat it kinda bothers me, even though it doesn’t really matter for ingame.

And yeah no legendaries. Preferably most of my team is caught low level and early game (halfway through or less) because I enjoy evolving them up.

Same. Usually, unless I want to test something out, I like having my full team with me since pretty early on, so I either Trade Eggs or don't use what's too late in the game.
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman

User Info: Skyvegas

Skyvegas
4 weeks ago#17
I didn't start catching every Pokémon till gen 3, and didn't evenly train till gens 6-7 especially thanks in large parts to super training and Poke Pelago. I never use/used exp. Share. The only Rotom and O powers i use are the ones involving cash/money.

I never let my Pokémon evolve till they defeat something/someone important such as; rivals, evil team members with actual names, gym leaders/grand trial battles, elite 4, etc... But in Sword/Shield I am going in another direction if I'm battling an evolved or non evolved Pokémon and it puts up a good fight I'll capture it and train/use it as is.

And typings don't bother me I've used a full team of ghosts, fire, fighting, dark, normal, electric, steel, and dragon.

I talk to everyone as well kind of a habit after partaking in so many other role-playing games hoping there are quests like in USUM but much more storied and promising in Sword/Shield.

My team consists of all 6 Pokémon usually even leveled although a couple gens I one shotted a whole region or 2 with just 1 or 2 Pokemon.

I use different Pokeballs on certain Pokémon based on color or abilities like Intimidation or Pressure.

The Pokémon I use have different shapes, colors, gender/genderless.

I also never use revives, max revives, or anything that brings something back from a faint state kind of like what's dead should remain dead mentality even if it is wrong.
Currently Fallen Into Greed, and The Land Of Crazy Borders

User Info: Moongeist

Moongeist
4 weeks ago#18
Do you catch every Pokémon available and do you use them evenly?

I try to catch them all but don't try at all to use them evenly, mostly I catch them for the Pokedex data

Does evolution and typings bother/matter to you when constructing a team?

I like to have Pokemon with evolutions but that won't stop me from using ones I prefer that don't evolve. I also don't necessarily care about type. My ending SM team had 4 single-stage Pokemon and 3 ghosts :p

Do you talk to any and everyone that's available to talk too including passerby or walkerbys or whatever they are called?

I try to but usually get sloppy as the game goes on

Does your Pokémon team consist of all 6 or do you just use 1 or do you keep a full team and just use that 1 favorite or whatever Pokémon you are set on conquering with?

I always have 6 and try to use all of them. I usually end up favoring one or two though.

Do you just use the normal Pokeballs for capturing Pokémon or the other various specialty balls?

In W2 I almost exclusively used regular Pokeballs and Premier balls but in most games I just use whatever is most likely to catch the Pokemon (or early in the game Pokeballs/Great balls on easy catches). For Pokemon I actually want to keep on my team, I try to do Pokeballs that match, or at the very least, premier balls.

Does your Pokémon team only consist of a certain color, gender, etc...?

Nah
/**T**\
\ ' ^ ' /

User Info: MetaDeDeDe

MetaDeDeDe
4 weeks ago#19
Skyvegas posted...
Just curious on how you all play Pokémon or go about being a Pokémon Trainer/Master.

Do you catch every Pokémon available and do you use them evenly?

Only the six I seem to like even I normally avoid using anything that come up late.

Does evolution and typings bother/matter to you when constructing a team?
In game, no but I can't have two of the same type.

Do you talk to any and everyone that's available to talk too including passerby or walkerbys or whatever they are called?
NPCs? Yes I do.

Does your Pokemon team consist of all 6 or do you just use 1 or do you keep a full team and just use that 1 favorite or whatever Pokémon you are set on conquering with?
I use all six unless SwoSh somehow conjures the evil spirit of torture that hinders the fun in exploring call HMs. If HMs are back, I'll need to call an HM slave or two.

Do you just use the normal Pokeballs for capturing Pokémon or the other various specialty balls? Ultras, Dusk, Timers, and Quick balls. The Master ball is for anything rare I want to use it for, a Shiny etc...

Does your Pokémon team only consist of a certain color, gender, etc...?
I try to get at least one female in my team.

Add any other details to your Pokémon journies/style of play.

I SR to get the Starter to my wanted my desired nature for it.
The official Jynx of Ultra Sun Board

User Info: bstroke0425

bstroke0425
4 weeks ago#20
I use whoever I think looks cool, and I look for type diversity. I also try and use Pokemon introduced in that generation.

In Sun, I had my “badass” team - Decidueye, Lycanroc, Salazzle, Golisopod, Kommo-o, and Alolan Raichu.

In Ultra Sun, I had my “reject team” - Incineroar, Vikavolt, Shiinotic...can’t even remember, but it wasn’t as good, that’s for sure. This team had waaaay more faints than my Sun team ever had.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Pokémon Play Style?
  • Topic Archived