• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Pokémon Play Style?

User Info: Skyvegas

Skyvegas
4 weeks ago#1
Just curious on how you all play Pokémon or go about being a Pokémon Trainer/Master.

Do you catch every Pokémon available and do you use them evenly?

Does evolution and typings bother/matter to you when constructing a team?

Do you talk to any and everyone that's available to talk too including passerby or walkerbys or whatever they are called?

Does your Pokémon team consist of all 6 or do you just use 1 or do you keep a full team and just use that 1 favorite or whatever Pokémon you are set on conquering with?

Do you just use the normal Pokeballs for capturing Pokémon or the other various specialty balls?

Does your Pokémon team only consist of a certain color, gender, etc...?

Add any other details to your Pokémon journies/style of play.
Currently Fallen Into Greed, and The Land Of Crazy Borders

User Info: trashketchup10

trashketchup10
4 weeks ago#2
I tend to use the ones I find cool looking. I used Krickitune through my Platinum adventure even though I realized he just sucked and kept fainting. I used Pachirisu similarly.

I tend to keep a balanced team in terms of typing. No double Water pokemon, no double Grass, etc.

I have at least one HM slave and 1 flying type to use Fly

and I have a rule on Repels, Revives and Potions: no more than 5 or 6 on me at a time. Mostly to save money, but also for some "realism", and artificial difficulty.

User Info: Missingno_Mastr

Missingno_Mastr
4 weeks ago#3
Skyvegas posted...

I pick a team of six and roll with that. If I'm playing a new generation for the first time, I catch stuff with the intention of filling the Pokédex, but I stick with my team of six.

Skyvegas posted...

I try to not have too much type overlap. Some is fine, and I have a bit of a blind spot for this where Poison-types are concerned. Generally, I'll take the final evo into account over anything else since that's what I'll be working with at the end of the day. And of course, absurd evolution requirements can be a deal breaker- like, no way in hell am I using a Hydreigon ingame unless they adjust the evolution levels heavily in the future, or unless we're ever allowed to catch an underleveled one at a reasonable point in a game.

Skyvegas posted...
Do you talk to any and everyone that's available to talk too including passerby or walkerbys or whatever they are called?

Sometimes. Depends on how much I've played a game- with games I'm less familiar with, I'm more likely to talk to more people. And the term is NPCs, for future reference.

Skyvegas posted...
Does your Pokémon team consist of all 6 or do you just use 1 or do you keep a full team and just use that 1 favorite or whatever Pokémon you are set on conquering with?

Full team of six, generally, but I did once do a Weezing solo run in X.

Skyvegas posted...
Do you just use the normal Pokeballs for capturing Pokémon or the other various specialty balls?

Generally I try to either use all regular Poké Balls or have each Pokémon in a different ball, but I don't stick strictly to those two. In HeartGold, my Typhlosion, Togekiss, Weezing, Victreebel, and Dunsparce were in regular Poké Balls while my Qwilfish was in a Lure Ball.

Skyvegas posted...

Only if I'm building the team around a specific theme for the sake of a challenge, which I don't generally do. And even then, mostly it'll be monotype teams.

Skyvegas posted...

I believe that any Pokémon works for ingame, and I'll give most Pokémon a chance. This leads to me sometimes using weaker-than-average Pokémon. Hell, I recently played through Colosseum and my team included Furret and Plusle, and for the record, I don't regret either choice whatsoever. They can be more challenging to work with, but it makes the victories all the more rewarding IMO.
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4694795/Missingno-Master (my fanfics, please read)
https://i.imgur.com/uWrBYs2.png (my Shinies, not for trade)

User Info: FuzzyKiwi02

FuzzyKiwi02
4 weeks ago#4
As of late, I've been playing and re-playing games with a rotation team, and trying to complete the dex as much as possible (or as much as I'm comfortable with) as I play. As you can guess, there is a lot of grinding, but I don't mind it. It's the play style I enjoy the most, and everything ends up more memorable for me. It also allows me to try and flesh out as much of the game as possible, given how long I spend in each area using each individual mon.

In Ultra Sun I had about 50-60 mons in rotation that I regularly used. I used more than that, but for the purposes of evolving and registering for the dex. Managed to get roughly 75% of the dex completed before entering the Hall of Fame. I've been going back to older titles to play in this style; did Y a few months ago (by far my favourite playthrough of that game) and doing Heartgold now, with the Pokewalker. Will do so for more games, including Shield, in due time.

For Hall of Fame teams, the main 6, I try avoiding type overlap if I can, but it does happen on occasion and I don't mind that much (I had Primarina and Whimsicott in Ultra Sun, for example). Gender, what Poke Ball they're in, natures, so on don't concern me too much during a playthrough. I talk to most if not all NPCs in the game.

I do Nuzlockes and Mono-type playthroughs as well, where I don't work towards the dex obviously, and generally don't rotate unless something dies in a Nuzlocke. Doing one of Crystal as we speak, actually, and it's going mostly well.
The people that really lack skill are the ones that are too afraid or can't deal with the unknown.

User Info: sonictrainer

sonictrainer
4 weeks ago#5
Skyvegas posted...

It depends

Pokémon that makes its first appearance in the game:
-Catch it once
-Catch it twice if it has major gender differences like Frillish
-Catch multiple if its a Version Exclusive

Legends/Pokémon that makes its first appearance in the game but also has a very low catch rate:
-I'll make an attempt if I have enough Poké Balls and other items

Pokémon like Dhelmise:
-Not a chance/I'll see if someone breeded it and is trading it online

Shiny Pokémon:
-OMG FREAKING CATCH IT!

Skyvegas posted...
Depends on the evolution method. I try to have one Egg or one Friendship Evolution Pokémon on the team while the rest evolve by leveling up....unless there's a good move it can learn before evolving.

I try to have a balance of typings, although since Black/White I usually have 1 or 2 Pokémon that have similar types.

Skyvegas posted...

Yes, for free items, lore, and memes.

Skyvegas posted...

I mix and match until I feel I have a team I like.

Skyvegas posted...

If I have enough money, I use a variety of Poké Balls.

I'm don't use the Apricorn Balls since they're so rare nowadays...unless it's a unique situation. (Example: I like to use the Love Ball on Jangmo-o Family)

Skyvegas posted...

It's random.
Trainer Name: Ryan (3DS Friend Code: 2680-9032-0245)
Sonic & Pokemon Fan

User Info: coconutarmy1

coconutarmy1
4 weeks ago#6
I play through the game with a team, then gradually spend my time in the post-game replacing my more or less generally useful Pokemon with weird niche ones that can do precisely one thing really well. By the time I've decided to finish the game, I have several random sets of these super focused monsters.

My crowning achievement is a literally perfect Cinccino I managed to breed and train when I was on crazy amounts of post-surgery drugs. There were better options, but this is the one I picked. It's gimmick is that it always hits 2-5 time attacks 5 times.
Official Emperor of this board. Bow before me, peasants.

User Info: kinabalu

kinabalu
4 weeks ago#7
oohhh! i like this topic! ok so first things first, i usually try to catch every pokemon i see but if it's not cooperating or if i dont really care for it i'll probably just leave it alone. and recently i've just been doing nuzlockes to make it harder on myself so i've been catching less pokemon but i go through after the elite 4 and catch any cuties that i missed.

if i make a team, typically NO repeating types. and funnily enough lol.. i try to have at least a fire, water, and grass type bc i like the starter trio. oftentimes i'll actually trade around until i have all three starter pokemon on my team. i also like to have a flying type usually. the others will be a mix of pokes i just really like, and typically i'll train some extras so i'll have more than just 6 mains by the time i beat the league

i like to nickname all my pokemon. it makes me like them more lol

also yes... i talk to everyone. number one rule of playing an rpg is to check absolutely everywhere!! although i'll admit... recently this has been so much harder bc i can't stand the dialogue
FC: 1521-9033-9739

User Info: soothsayer

soothsayer
4 weeks ago#8
rules
-set
-no items during battle
-exp share off
-no o/rotom powers

I train whatever I feel like using/training atm. If I see a pokemon that piques my interest, I raise it as a sub or whatever. Generally first playthroughs I end up with like, 10 mons in rotation.

I then usually do two more playthroughs after with the starter I didn't use and pokemon I didn't use the first time. After doing a run with all 3 starters, I start doing monoruns and such.

I talk to every NPC. Other players though? I usually ignore them.

User Info: KurisuFenris

KurisuFenris
4 weeks ago#9
Nuzlocke.
Even for a new game.

User Info: Andrex_93

Andrex_93
4 weeks ago#10
Skyvegas posted...

In the first playthrough I try and catch a bunch of mons (usually more in the beginning and less towards the end) for Pokédex completion, and I try to catch every new mon I come across; unfortunately, due to the Exp Catch introduced in Gen 6, this might slightly skew my Exp in-take in relation to the Level curve, so I kind of don't do it as much as before.

I only use a team of 6, though; obviously a few members at the start are only temporary and the team isn't a fully team of 6 from the very beginning (unless I trade Eggs), but, overall, team of 6; at best I sometimes use another, early-game mon for Cut if it's required late-game.

Skyvegas posted...

Try to not repeat Types, at least not a complete overlap (if I have a Water/Flying Type, I'll hold off on using a pure Water, Flying or Flying/Water Type, conserving that one for another playthrough with a different team). Evolutions methods I guess only play a role if it's impossible or unlikely for me to get the final stage before the post-game, but then again, I have used the Deino, Rufflet and Larvesta lines, before, so..

Skyvegas posted...

Yes, I talk to every NPC.

Skyvegas posted...

Always a team of 6: on a first playthrough, if I manage to go in un-spoiled, I kind of built it on the go, but, on subsequent ones, it's always planned from the start; sometimes I even trade in Eggs.

Skyvegas posted...

I used to, yeah, but, last time I played, I tried to match the Balls with the color scheme/theme of the mon. Don't know if I'm gonna do that for a first playthrough, though.

Skyvegas posted...

I tried to have a varied team even color-wise, and like it better when Pokémon have a color that is "representative" of their Type, especially on Starters, although I obviously also like variation in the Pokémon pool of a certain Type.

Skyvegas posted...

I do a 1Vs1 for important battles, with the Starter always going against the opponent's ace (yes, that means going against the Starter strong against yours, in older games); if I lose one of the matchups, I reset. The only game where I didn't do this, IIRC, was SM, because that game was so bad and I was so bored that I juts didn't care.

Exp "Share" is, of course, always off, and I never use Amie, as I want a good, balanced experience. I never use X Items or the like, although I should try to limit myself even more with stuff like Healing Items, as well (even though I guess I don't use them match in the first place, lately, given how much easier the games have become).
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Pokémon Play Style?
  • Topic Archived