• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Galar Regional Variants?

User Info: Skyvegas

Skyvegas
4 weeks ago#1
What's Your Opinions On The Galar Region Variants? - Results (44 votes)
Do You Think There'll Be More?
50% (22 votes)
Is there Enough?
4.55% (2 votes)
Do You Want More? (Not Just For This Gen But Future Gens as Well?)
36.36% (16 votes)
Are You Tired Of The Gimmick?
6.82% (3 votes)
Or Do You Just Not Care?
2.27% (1 vote)
This poll is now closed.
Just curious on everyones thoughts on the subject and also because there is a rumor floating around about the next reveal quite possibly revealing another or more Galar Regional Variants.
Currently Fallen Into Greed, and The Land Of Crazy Borders

User Info: SmashingBros

SmashingBros
4 weeks ago#2
I love the regional variants. They're a fun idea and a great way to get some otherwise unnoteworthy Pokemon some time in the spotlight. As long as they want to keep making them, I'm down.

There will definitely be more in Galar- no way it's just Zigzagoon, Farfetch'd, Weezing, and (more than likely) Meowth. I'm hoping for Kingler, Arbok, Dunsparce, Stantler, Chimecho, Luvdisc, Lumineon, and Basculin especially.
*horrible bird imitations*
I'm probably either bored or procrastinating. Or both.

User Info: MegaSableye

MegaSableye
4 weeks ago#3
I don’t like the concept of regional variants. All they do is make the original Pokémon less relevant.
My shinies: http://tinyurl.com/q397n9k

User Info: Moongeist

Moongeist
4 weeks ago#4
What a strangely set up poll
/**T**\
\ ' ^ ' /

User Info: DrRM

DrRM
4 weeks ago#5
Moongeist posted...
What a strangely set up poll

You silly...

This is a Galar Variant Poll

:P
"He aqui mi secreto, que no puede ser mas simple : solo con el corazon se puede ver bien; lo esencial es invisible para los ojos."

User Info: Desparae

Desparae
4 weeks ago#6
As long as it’s not mainly Kanto pokemon, I think it’s an interesting idea. It lets them supplement the new pokemon with some “new” pokemon, that don’t waste too many design ideas all in one shot. Because let’s face it, they are running out of good designs for new pokemon, so they are releasing less and less of them.

So essentially, with regional variants we can get 70-80 actual new pokemon, but it feels like over a hundred because of the new forms.

If they do a bunch of non-Kanto pokemon for Galar, I will be pleased. Especially if they are like Weezing, and have very interesting new abilities and type combinations that give them a unique niche in battles that they did not have before.

User Info: veryepic

veryepic
4 weeks ago#7
I love them! I hope Sunflora will get and Galarian form.

User Info: Andrex_93

Andrex_93
4 weeks ago#8
I don't love the Regional Variants (or Evolutions) idea(s), but I think there will be more than those revealed so far (and we know there will be, because the site said that Obtsagoon is only one of those cases), and I'm sort of fine with that, I suppose; I may not love the concept, but it's certainly the better gimmick among the ones they tried to shove in the games ever since Gen 6.

Desparae posted...
It lets them supplement the new pokemon with some “new” pokemon, that don’t waste too many design ideas all in one shot. Because let’s face it, they are running out of good designs for new pokemon, so they are releasing less and less of them.

So essentially, with regional variants we can get 70-80 actual new pokemon, but it feels like over a hundred because of the new forms.

I disagree: they waste even more concepts because, instead of getting a new arctic fox Pokémon, they simply re-used Vulpix's design, lazily made a few tweaks here and there and now we have what isn't a new Pokémon with a recycled design that basically counts as new for in-game purposes but has a nonsensical reason for its drastic change, in-universe.

It essentially diluted the tie between Typing and design/inspiration, and the last sentence is pretty much one of the biggest things wrong with them, IMO.

I also of course disagree with "they're running out of good designs for new Pokémon": while the disgusting shonen-y take they've taken with the gimmicks in the last two (three if you count 8) Gens is horrible and that has bled a bit in how they design Evolutions, I don't think base Pokémon have had a significant drop in quality at all, overall.
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman

Desparae
4 weeks ago#9
Andrex_93 posted...
I don't love the Regional Variants (or Evolutions) idea(s), but I think there will be more than those revealed so far (and we know there will be, because the site said that Obtsagoon is only one of those cases), and I'm sort of fine with that, I suppose; I may not love the concept, but it's certainly the better gimmick among the ones they tried to shove in the games ever since Gen 6.

Desparae posted...
It lets them supplement the new pokemon with some “new” pokemon, that don’t waste too many design ideas all in one shot. Because let’s face it, they are running out of good designs for new pokemon, so they are releasing less and less of them.

I disagree: they waste even more concepts because, instead of getting a new arctic fox Pokémon, they simply re-used Vulpix's design, lazily made a few tweaks here and there and now we have what isn't a new Pokémon with a recycled design that basically counts as new for in-game purposes but has a nonsensical reason for its drastic change, in-universe.

It essentially diluted the tie between Typing and design/inspiration, and the last sentence is pretty much one of the biggest things wrong with them, IMO.

I also of course disagree with "they're running out of good designs for new Pokémon": while the disgusting shonen-y take they've taken with the gimmicks in the last two (three if you count 8) Gens is horrible and that has bled a bit in how they design Evolutions, I don't think base Pokémon have had a significant drop in quality at all, overall.

There hasn’t been a drop in quality necessarily, but they are releasing less new pokemon in recent generations. As much as people think this is due to “laziness”, I think it is more that they want each released pokemon to actually be designed well. They don’t want to release half good designs and half roster-stuffing.

I don’t really care that they are reusing an old pokemon because people would complain anyway that they are just copying old pokemon, if we got something like an arctic fox. Also, that’s just one example. I don’t see them designing a pokemon like Alolan Marowak or Alolan Sandslash as a new pokemon. Most of the regional variants are just different enough that they are new and interesting, but not different enough that they are wasting the design of a new pokemon altogether.

Of course, you are free to disagree, but I think regional variants are good to supplement new pokemon. Even if there is not a drop in quality yet, they eventually ARE going to run out of ideas and start making crappy designs. They have to put ideas in the bank for future games if they are to continue release new gens every 4-5 years.

Desparae
4 weeks ago#10
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Galar Regional Variants?
  • Topic Archived