• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. This has been the lamest "hype" cycle for a new Pokemon generation.

User Info: Moongeist

Moongeist
6 days ago#51
DeltaSilver88 posted...
Sammuthegreat posted...
Moongeist posted...
The hype is certainly less but if it turns out that's just because they're hiding more, that's fine with me. I'd rather have more to discover in-game.

You honestly wouldn't think the games are out in, what, 10 weeks?

There's always the chance their game is so barebones they have to push back the release date. ...Who knows, maybe they're revealing less stuff because they're preparing to undo Dexit.

I honestly don't care about Dexit personally (I tend to be more hyped for new Pokémon than returning ones... the returning ones just eat up space that should belong to new stuff; honestly, I would much rather have 150 new Pokémon and 200 old ones than 300 old ones and 50 new), but I can see why people would be attached to their old Pokémon.

I don't really think that's a possibility. I think a delayed game would mess with their profits much more than a mediocre game.
/**T**\
\ ' ^ ' /

User Info: MaKoTiS_MoN

MaKoTiS_MoN
6 days ago#52
Moongeist posted...
MaKoTiS_MoN posted...
I referred to new features, unique gameplay elements, and interesting town layouts and different environments.

1) Where did you do that
2) Even if you had, the Pokemon reveals are the only thing they've shown substantially less of than the past couple generations, so your point is moot

Then you missed the entire point of my post.
I don't pretend them to show EVERY new Pokémon, considering it's one of the better parts of info being held back.
I referred to new features that'd make the game stick out from all others.
ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

User Info: _Dog_

_Dog_
6 days ago#53
@TG_Wolf posted...
I'm more hyped for this than for pretty much any game in the past 5+ years.

Good restraint on information.
Spoilers not thrown around everywhere.

Leaves plenty to discover in the game, just as it should be and there's still time for some more controlled reveals before release.

But no, anyone whining about it is of the era where Tantrum #1 is tied to not knowing everything about everything instantly before you can move on to being insufferable about something else.

Are you really hyped for curry over having a complete National Pokédex? Think about it.
The Big Problem with the Pokemon anime:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/217-pokemon/75265633

User Info: usuratonkachi

usuratonkachi
6 days ago#54
this will be a barebones release. the transition to hd was too hard for game freak, please understand.

the only thing they could be hiding other than an even lower new pokemon count than gens 6 and 7 is a terrible postgame fetch quest.
https://i.imgur.com/aIkZnAI.png

User Info: pichuscute

pichuscute
6 days ago#55
Smogoon posted...
nobody is legitimately hyped for the games. plus there is nothing for nintendo to promote since this game has zero content which results in a giant snoozefest.

This
Looking forward to: FFVIIR, Animal Crossing, SMTV, Daemon x Machina, Astral Chain
Fav series: Zelda, Mario Kart, WipEout, Custom Robo, SMT, Final Fantasy.

User Info: xF0x

xF0x
6 days ago#56
This gen was coaxed into a SNAFU from the beginning, mostly by Nintendo. Game Freak started the development for 3DS and then Nintendo came along with the Switch and said "Nope, move it over to this". Not counting the original Game Boy this is the longest it took a main Pokémon game to come out on a Nintendo handheld, they even tried to convince us that LeGo was a main series entry in order to somehow control this damage. LeGo was nothing but a filler, last resort to buy more time for S/S, and yet S/S is still an obvious 3DS game slightly tweaked to take at least some advantage of the better Switch specs. They couldn't afford to start over completely from scratch at all.

Also, whoever was responsible for demanding a faster turnaround of generations is to blame as well. If the last 2-3 gens lasted as long G4 and G3 did Game Freak would have been on the right pace to start G8 straight on the Switch.
Everything will be fire.
xF0x posted...
This gen was coaxed into a SNAFU from the beginning, mostly by Nintendo. Game Freak started the development for 3DS and then Nintendo came along with the Switch and said "Nope, move it over to this". Not counting the original Game Boy this is the longest it took a main Pokémon game to come out on a Nintendo handheld, they even tried to convince us that LeGo was a main series entry in order to somehow control this damage. LeGo was nothing but a filler, last resort to buy more time for S/S, and yet S/S is still an obvious 3DS game slightly tweaked to take at least some advantage of the better Switch specs. They couldn't afford to start over completely from scratch at all.

Also, whoever was responsible for demanding a faster turnaround of generations is to blame as well. If the last 2-3 gens lasted as long G4 and G3 did Game Freak would have been on the right pace to start G8 straight on the Switch.

Is it confirmed this started as a 3DS game... surely they weren't dumb enough to try and push another gen out on the by then dated system...

And honestly I think marketing for the past Pokemon games has been really boring and predictable. I remember Gen 6 being really exciting when they showed off the starters, then it worked really well for that game. So they basically copied the exact same format from then on and it's gotten stale.

It doesn't help that Sword and Shield marketing has been a drip feed of inconsequential information. Just take a look at the latest direct. Customisation... already confirmed and about as detailed as expected. Curry... so what. Only two new Pokemon and no evolutions or galarian forms. Someone mentioned before there is the chance sword and shield is actually just a barebones game, and I'm worried that is the case.

And it really sucks! This is the first Pokemon console game. The Switch has been releasing some of the best games in each major franchise. Look at Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem, Mario Tennis and I'm sure I'm forgetting heaps. Then Pokemon comes out with all these expectations and Game Freak cares to match none of them, sticking to a tried and true formula. The most exciting thing is the wild zone and that is where they are pushing boundaries and at least giving people what they want... sort of, coz it's restricted strangely to this one zone. It's something at least and I am most excited for Sword and Shield for that area, but honestly there isn't much else to get hyped for apart from seem they are focusing on competitive play which is a big plus for me also.
Nintendo 3DS/Pokemon X FC: 5472-6834-3919 IGN: Nate
Psn: Big_tuna25

User Info: JDM_Jev

JDM_Jev
6 days ago#58
The only thing they've done since announcing the game is kill hype. Its like they're on a mission.

First they tell us we can't get all the Pokemon because of these high quality animations that are ported 1-1 from the 3DS games. Any bit of other content is just a recycling of old ideas to replace the things that were removed. Literally the least creative game studio on the planet pumping out another game for the shareholders and nobody else.
27 pronged approach! We weren't gonna shoot it ALL into space, that's what the other prongs were for! Stupid...

User Info: Dumb-Fumbler

Dumb-Fumbler
6 days ago#59
chaos_controlr posted...
Is it confirmed this started as a 3DS game... surely they weren't dumb enough to try and push another gen out on the by then dated system...
If this is any help:

Pokemon.com: What did you learn about Nintendo Switch development during Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! that you used during development of Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield?
Ohmori: Well, Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! were our first full Pokémon game projects that we developed on the Nintendo Switch, and it was almost sort of a research project for us to learn how to develop on that system. We did learn a lot that we were able to use. From a programming perspective, we were able to use a very similar code base when we were working on Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield.

Without having made those games, we probably wouldn't have been able to deliver Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield at this time. There were different teams working on those different games, but we were able to use a lot of what we learned.

Icicle Crash + Heat Crash = Waterfall
I'm excited.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. This has been the lamest "hype" cycle for a new Pokemon generation.
  • Post New Message