• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Why do people like the idea of a national dex cut?

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
4 days ago#41
zoedacat posted...
I think they just did it so they don't have to program every mon.

That much is inevitable. Someday there will simply be too many mons to have time to put into a single game.

But there's no consensus on when.
Shouting "what did you do that for?" at a stationary bucket of water.

User Info: JDM_Jev

JDM_Jev
4 days ago#42
Lum_Yatsura posted...
That much is inevitable. Someday there will simply be too many mons to have time to put into a single game.

But there's no consensus on when.

There are way bigger games than Pokemon lmao. It would not be impossible to continue doing the bare-ass minimum that they have been doing. It literally boils down to them not wanting to, and their video game development culture being 'if it sells its fine'. Since the games coast on cultural resonance alone at this point nothing short of an actual disruption to the revenue stream will change that.

But seriously do not even pretend its too much work, there are way bigger games with way more content than Pokemon that somehow get made. Not an argument.
27 pronged approach! We weren't gonna shoot it ALL into space, that's what the other prongs were for! Stupid...

User Info: NintendoFan81

NintendoFan81
4 days ago#43
1- I don't care about catching them all (and honestly most people do NOT even do this anymore, it's just a brag thing honestly. The total number of people that do it legit is even lower.),

2- many Pokemon are boring and/or weak in battle unless you needlessly grind, so I stick with a small team (again- most people do this).

Side note- If you caught all Pokemon prior to Shield+Sword- good for you. Take a screenshot of the Dex, then get all of the new Pokemon from Shield+Sword. Post it online and brag away if you need to.

User Info: IngSlayer

IngSlayer
4 days ago#44
And then some Pokemon, like Mewtwo and Rayquaza, are purposely overpowered to the point that they are banned from a lot of the game.

And then some Pokemon, like Mew and Diancie, are very hard to obtain and are banned from a lot of the game just because of that fact, even if they are garbage to use.

User Info: Splatdude431

Splatdude431
4 days ago#45
I am STILL waiting to receive a single good reason why the dex cut is something that was inevitable.

People are just assuming that merely having more previous gen Pokémon in the game means the more effort they need to put in. Except that is not true for several reasons that me and others have brought up plenty of times before.

They don't need to balance every single Pokémon.
They have been reusing most models/animations since XY.
They have been reusing most Pokémon species data, ability data, move data, item data and more since RS.
Files can be copied and converted to other formats.
There are formats that are standards so incompatibility most likely isn't it.

If it's about upgrading the models/animations to a higher quality. No, they haven't done that or at least nowhere near enough to justify the dex cut. Also how many times will they need to keep re-upgrading the model/animation quality? Forever? Yeah... No. Graphics in general will not keep improving forever. It will start getting to the point where there is less and less of a difference. We may have already reached that point for some things.
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBCTOrS6ElyMDKNne1PPy9w

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
3 days ago#46
Splatdude431 posted...
I am STILL waiting to receive a single good reason why the dex cut is something that was inevitable.

People are just assuming that merely having more previous gen Pokémon in the game means the more effort they need to put in. Except that is not true for several reasons that me and others have brought up plenty of times before.

They don't need to balance every single Pokémon.
They have been reusing most models/animations since XY.
They have been reusing most Pokémon species data, ability data, move data, item data and more since RS.
Files can be copied and converted to other formats.
There are formats that are standards so incompatibility most likely isn't it.

If it's about upgrading the models/animations to a higher quality. No, they haven't done that or at least nowhere near enough to justify the dex cut. Also how many times will they need to keep re-upgrading the model/animation quality? Forever? Yeah... No. Graphics in general will not keep improving forever. It will start getting to the point where there is less and less of a difference. We may have already reached that point for some things.

Which is where their laziness comes into play.
A dex cut allows them to change most of those things freely, uniquely tailoring the Pokemon roster and presentation for the game they want to make.

We don't yet know what has been changed this gen regarding balance, move data, item data, or the mechanics in general that aren't visible from trailer footage.
Shouting "what did you do that for?" at a stationary bucket of water.
(edited 3 days ago)
I want to add something that's not anger, hate, or disgust to this, so how do you guys feel about this image?
https://i.imgtc.ws/EtfEzeS.jpg
My favorite fire starters are Charizard and Incineroar
(edited 3 days ago)
Gurl_du_Voir posted...
The meta will always boil down to a few chosen ones, so it's stupid to say the dex cut is for "balance reasons". It will only change who are the pokemon at the top, but we will still see the same 10-15 pokemon in every single team on tournaments, so it's bulls*** to say it's for balance reasons.
3DS friend code 3539-8997-2521 IGN Shanil
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/cosmichero1996?type=posted

User Info: PPPPLAASSUMA

PPPPLAASSUMA
2 days ago#49
There isnt much excuse for dexit.

You either take the time to do things right or you half ass it.

They half assed it, plain and simple.

The problem with them is that they blame so many things when every single point is disproven when you factor in time.

They didnt take the time to do it right. That's all it is.

I hate that I have to say this, but dexit doesnt even bother me. I dont collect, I only use NEW pokemon. My opinion is solely based on the simplest of logic.

What bothers me (enough to make this post anyway) is that people really fall for excuses, and spew things out like fact.

It isnt a fact that they didnt have time or space for the pokemon. There are much, much bigger games out there. Those developers use up whatever disc space they have to, and they take the time they need.

It also isnt a fact that there will be too many pokemon to fit in one game, the size of games is always getting bigger, it's so obviously not an issue.

Its apparent that all they care about is deadlines and product integration.
http://tinyurl.com/myofwa4 Mystical Ninja64 fan!

User Info: guydude21

guydude21
2 days ago#50
MilesTStorzillo posted...
I want to add something that's not anger, hate, or disgust to this, so how do you guys feel about this image?
If you wanted to do that you shouldn't post an unmarked spoiler. That's borderline trolling.
official seraph Lamington of the Smash Ultimate Board
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Why do people like the idea of a national dex cut?
  • Post New Message