• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Why do people like the idea of a national dex cut?

User Info: Hbthebattle

Hbthebattle
1 week ago#21
Lum_Yatsura posted...
Hbthebattle posted...
BalloonBattle05 posted...
Hbthebattle posted...
Banning Meta Knight and Icies did actually make Brawl far more balanced

Until the best character after them dominated the metagame.

That is not what happened at the tourneys where MK and Icies were gone. Sometimes, an excision is better for a metagame. The VGC metagames that ban box legends tend to be more diverse than the ones that allow them.

This gen is on modern hardware. It's time for them to keep up with the metagame and issue proper balance patches should unfair exploits arise in competitive play.

It's well known that GameFreak primarily focuses on VGC balancing instead of singles. Singles aren't totally disregarded- Moody's upcoming nerf is because of a certain Battle Spot strategy- but it's overall harder to be broken in doubles, the only thing approaching that to a dangerous degree being Dark Void Smeargle (which got nerfed heavily).
Patience.

User Info: orin6909

orin6909
1 week ago#22
Did banning meta knight from brawl or bayonetta from smash 4 accomplish competitive balance or did it lead to the next best character dominating the metagame?

The next best character likely dominated the metagame which proves that cutting characters alone won't achieve competitive balance

When talking about balancing a roster, it's not necessarily just about banning or nerfing exploitable characters. There are less than 80 characters in Smash Bros to balance for use; Pokemon has almost 1000 characters to balance. At what point do you achieve balance with those numbers?

Lum_Yatsura posted...
Hbthebattle posted...
Hbthebattle posted...
Banning Meta Knight and Icies did actually make Brawl far more balanced

Until the best character after them dominated the metagame.

That is not what happened at the tourneys where MK and Icies were gone. Sometimes, an excision is better for a metagame. The VGC metagames that ban box legends tend to be more diverse than the ones that allow them.

This gen is on modern hardware. It's time for them to keep up with the metagame and issue proper balance patches should unfair exploits arise in competitive play.

Patching for balance with a roster of 1000 becomes a constant struggle and would be a constant annoyance for players. Besides, if they patched pokemon stats for balance constantly, it'd change the in-game balance as well, making the main story mode of the game change unintentionally.

User Info: BalloonBattle05

BalloonBattle05
1 week ago#23
orin6909 posted...
When talking about balancing a roster, it's not necessarily just about banning or nerfing exploitable characters. There are less than 80 characters in Smash Bros to balance for use; Pokemon has almost 1000 characters to balance. At what point do you achieve balance with those numbers?

you make formats that only allow certain pokemon instead of removing them from the game
If locking online play behind a paywall with irrelevant games is a service then bricking your phone and not removing the brick without a fee is also a service.

User Info: Splatdude431

Splatdude431
1 week ago#24
The dex cut is not something that they would have had to have needed to do at some point. Game Freak is not doing this because they have but because they want to. They are doing it on purpose. They want make money from people having the keep their Pokémon in Pokémon Home.

They can keep on adding Pokémon while keeping all of the previous ones each gen like they have been doing until now and they can do it EASILY.
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBCTOrS6ElyMDKNne1PPy9w

User Info: Rydershigh

Rydershigh
1 week ago#25
Balance is a facade

We all know the real reason but for some reason they rather lie to our face about it

Gamefreak was never known to listen to fans because they never been in hot water unlike literal every other developer so they are used to pleased fans and nothing be pleased fans. The problems Pokémon has had were minor for the most part but now they are cutting deep with the price raising and the last few games splitting the community even further

Even then let’s pretend they care at all about competitive, that’s not what you play a GoD Dam RPG for

I don’t play games with 500+ characters to compare the 9 strongest with eachother in boring online matches. It’s proving more and more about GF in the worst ways

We don’t play games to sit on the mountain, but the climb and every game has been a stairway or in Gen 6 case, a escalator
*FC:414-1957-7120
OU for NU

User Info: TG_Wolf

TG_Wolf
1 week ago#26
Entirely different genre.

Smash doesn't have nearly over 1000 characters.

Teams won't be 90000% Legendaries and Primals for the 44833849505th time.

But if you think you can do better then go for it. March straight up to the Gamefreak offices and let them know you'll program in:

- All the remaining pokemon
- Update all relevant features for them
- Balance every single one so that over 80% are competitive viable

All without altering the game release schedule or inflicting unfair work conditions on anyone, including yourself.

Otherwise, mind your own business.
[Furry and Proud of it ^_^] AUTMAFRWGTDTBT
Official: Wolf of Everything, Madara Uchiha, Muu of UNSR/4, Saberwulf of KI and Cyber Smoke of the MKXL.

User Info: BalloonBattle05

BalloonBattle05
1 week ago#27
TG_Wolf posted...

80 or 1000 characters won't change the fact that some characters get used more than others

only for them to not cut the popular pokemon that you wanted to cut and instead cut pokemon that YOU wanted to use, Or other pokemon will be used enough taht you get tired of seeing them
If locking online play behind a paywall with irrelevant games is a service then bricking your phone and not removing the brick without a fee is also a service.

User Info: AlfredoJones

AlfredoJones
1 week ago#28
TG_Wolf posted...
Entirely different genre.

But if you think you can do better then go for it. March straight up to the Gamefreak offices and let them know you'll program in:

- All the remaining pokemon
- Update all relevant features for them
- Balance every single one so that over 80% are competitive viable

All without altering the game release schedule or inflicting unfair work conditions on anyone, including yourself.

Otherwise, mind your own business.

While I agree that people need to stop playing armchair developer you really don’t help your case by coming off as a douchebag.
You can't fool me, 'cause I'm a moron!
Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2960-9608-3596

User Info: Conn_Eremon

Conn_Eremon
1 week ago#29
I am one who likes it, though I do sympathize with everyone who is adversely affected by it.

For myself, I see this being two distinctive issues.

1. Transferring
A lot of people do this, and I can relate to their disappointment. But I have never, and will never do this myself. So I'm utterly unaffected by this issue.

2. Catching/Using Favorites
I have my favorites, but I don't use them outside of their gen of introduction (though I join Gens 1&2). When i play either Sword or Shield, I'm only going to use Galarian pokemon. So again, I'm utterly unaffected by this issue.

So for both of the issues this boils down to, there is zero negative impact for me. But, I can foresee one positive impact: Gotta Catch 'Em All.

I haven't been this interested in catching all available Pokemon since Gen 3. I don't want to trade for everything, I just want to catch what is available. That sounds feasible once more.

But like I said, I respect those who are not pleased about these changes. But simply due to the way I have always played and enjoyed Pokemon, this is a net positive for me.
The games already had a balancing mechanism since iirc you couldn't use non-native mons in online battles anyway.
"All true Fire Emblem fans hate Fire Emblem" - The Fir Coat
"Close your acount" - KinoTFS
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Why do people like the idea of a national dex cut?
  • Post New Message