• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Why do people like the idea of a national dex cut?

User Info: ZoneDrones

ZoneDrones
1 week ago#11
BalloonBattle05 posted...
AlfredoJones posted...
I said it before, I highly doubt anyone truly "likes" the National Dex cut. Most people I've seen who say they do are merely doing so out of spite for the #BringBackTheNationalDex crowd. The more likely answer is that many people have expected something like this to happen eventually and thus were mentally prepared for it. They admit the whole thing is a bit of a pisser, but there was always going to come a time when the total amount of Pokemon would exceed the limit of what could be reasonably added into a game. Whether we have reached that limit now is certainly up for debate, though I doubt anyone could truly come up with a convincing argument without in-depth knowledge of the process in which the games are made.

I'm sure eveyone realizes that but they know that this isn't a good time to cut the dex, and masuda's words don't help either

if not now then when is a good time?

the answer will be never. because whether it's pokemon sword or pokemon thundercloud that comes out in 50 years people will never think it's a good time.

and the later they hold it off for, the more pokemon they'd be adding, which means the more pokemon they'd need to cut eventually which then means the more upset people will be.

so yeah there is no better time than now

User Info: AlfredoJones

AlfredoJones
1 week ago#12
supremeblaster posted...
It's not about liking it, it was an inevitability. Those old models weren't going to last forever, and the instant they stopped being a usable thing, they'd need to make 1000 new models with a whole s*** ton of the animations that come with that.

Its a HUGE workload, and is the reason X&Y was kind of trash in the content department. Imagine that except even worse for a new game as the models need to be even higher definition and there's more than double of them.

It's good to cut out the pain early. From now on, when they start focusing on making new models, the workload will be cut tremendously and we might get more content-filled games as a result.

Except they're reusing the same models as always

If you would permit me to throw my own theory in the ring, it could be possible that the models we're seeing are in fact new to a degree, but were made using the old models as a blueprint of sorts in order to save time and money.
You can't fool me, 'cause I'm a moron!
Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2960-9608-3596

User Info: BalloonBattle05

BalloonBattle05
1 week ago#13
ZoneDrones posted...

the answer will be never. because whether it's pokemon sword or pokemon thundercloud that comes out in 50 years people will never think it's a good time.

I wager people would be more accepting when we reach 2000 pokemon.

Even then people wouldn't mind getting pokemon patched in over time
If locking online play behind a paywall with irrelevant games is a service then bricking your phone and not removing the brick without a fee is also a service.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Moongeist

Moongeist
1 week ago#14
I don't like it but it's far from a deal breaker for me
/**T**\
\ ' ^ ' /

User Info: Dumb-Fumbler

Dumb-Fumbler
1 week ago#15
I wager people would be more accepting when it's 2000
lol
Icicle Crash + Heat Crash = Waterfall

User Info: Leon481

Leon481
1 week ago#16
supremeblaster posted...
It's not about liking it, it was an inevitability. Those old models weren't going to last forever, and the instant they stopped being a usable thing, they'd need to make 1000 new models with a whole s*** ton of the animations that come with that.

Its a HUGE workload, and is the reason X&Y was kind of trash in the content department. Imagine that except even worse for a new game as the models need to be even higher definition and there's more than double of them.

It's good to cut out the pain early. From now on, when they start focusing on making new models, the workload will be cut tremendously and we might get more content-filled games as a result.

Theoretically, it could be possible to keep up with proper long term planning and smart allocation of resources.

Still, even if it was inevitable, they handled it badly. They really needed to have one game on the new system with all Pokemon up and running to help people transfer and adjust more comfortably, have Home up and running with proof that it's a worthwhile platform, and make every aspect of the transition clear, detailed and easy to lessen anxiety among fans. I still maintain it's the silence and uncertainty that's causing, or at least allowing, a majority of the backlash.

If there really was no other way to keep up, they should have given it one more game and one or two more years before doing this. Maybe announce during the game's release that it would be the last game with all Pokemon so people have time to appreciate and enjoy the ones they like while they still have the chance. It's too soon, too sudden, and too uncertain right now.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: AlfredoJones

AlfredoJones
1 week ago#17
Leon481 posted...
supremeblaster posted...

Theoretically, it could be possible to keep up with proper long term planning and smart allocation of resources.

Still, even if it was inevitable, they handled it badly. They really needed to have one game on the new system with all Pokemon up and running to help people transfer and adjust more comfortably, have Home up and running with proof that it's a worthwhile platform, and make every aspect of the transition clear, detailed and easy to lessen anxiety among fans. I still maintain it's the silence and uncertainty that's causing, or at least allowing, a majority of the backlash.

If there really was no other way to keep up, they should have given it one more game and one or two more years before doing this. Maybe announce during the game's release that it would be the last game with all Pokemon so people have time to appreciate and enjoy the ones they like while they still have the chance. It's too soon, too sudden, and too uncertain right now.

I think it's certainly possible to have had the National Dex in SwSh, though doing so would likely require more time than what they were allowed. It's honestly one of the biggest problems facing the franchise right now in my opinion. We are currently in the longest stretch of consecutive yearly releases for major Pokemon titles, and that seems to be taking a toll on both Game Freak and the fandom. If they were to stop with these yearly releases and move to a bi-yearly or more release schedule I think they could not only keep the National Dex in but improve the games in many other areas.
You can't fool me, 'cause I'm a moron!
Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2960-9608-3596

User Info: Leon481

Leon481
1 week ago#18
AlfredoJones posted...
I think it's certainly possible to have had the National Dex in SwSh, though doing so would likely require more time than what they were allowed. It's honestly one of the biggest problems facing the franchise right now in my opinion. We are currently in the longest stretch of consecutive yearly releases for major Pokemon titles, and that seems to be taking a toll on both Game Freak and the fandom. If they were to stop with these yearly releases and move to a bi-yearly or more release schedule I think they could not only keep the National Dex in but improve the games in many other areas.

They could pretty easily get away with it too. Mobile games like Go and Masters have proven they can be consistent cash cows in the meantime. The anime has proven they have the skills to stretch it out however long they need to. Several side projects still seem to be in development from other studios. They have the financial leeway and they have the time if they really want to do it.

User Info: Crudelitas

Crudelitas
1 week ago#19
ZoneDrones posted...
AlfredoJones posted...
I said it before, I highly doubt anyone truly "likes" the National Dex cut. Most people I've seen who say they do are merely doing so out of spite for the #BringBackTheNationalDex crowd. The more likely answer is that many people have expected something like this to happen eventually and thus were mentally prepared for it. They admit the whole thing is a bit of a pisser, but there was always going to come a time when the total amount of Pokemon would exceed the limit of what could be reasonably added into a game. Whether we have reached that limit now is certainly up for debate, though I doubt anyone could truly come up with a convincing argument without in-depth knowledge of the process in which the games are made.

I'm sure eveyone realizes that but they know that this isn't a good time to cut the dex, and masuda's words don't help either

and the later they hold it off for, the more pokemon they'd be adding, which means the more pokemon they'd need to cut eventually which then means the more upset people will be.

so yeah there is no better time than now

Nobody even knows if the franchise will survive that long.

We're preemptively preparing for the moment we have 2000 pkmn models, 30 years in the future. Think about how long 30 years are. We could be in the middle of World War IV at that point.
There is no path to git gud, for gitin' gud is the path.

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
1 week ago#20
Hbthebattle posted...
Hbthebattle posted...
Banning Meta Knight and Icies did actually make Brawl far more balanced

Until the best character after them dominated the metagame.

That is not what happened at the tourneys where MK and Icies were gone. Sometimes, an excision is better for a metagame. The VGC metagames that ban box legends tend to be more diverse than the ones that allow them.

This gen is on modern hardware. It's time for them to keep up with the metagame and issue proper balance patches should unfair exploits arise in competitive play.
Shouting "what did you do that for?" at a stationary bucket of water.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Why do people like the idea of a national dex cut?
  • Post New Message