• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Why do people like the idea of a national dex cut?
Did banning meta knight from brawl or bayonetta from smash 4 accomplish competitive balance or did it lead to the next best character dominating the metagame?

The next best character likely dominated the metagame which proves that cutting characters alone won't achieve competitive balance
If locking online play behind a paywall with irrelevant games is a service then bricking your phone and not removing the brick without a fee is also a service.

User Info: Gurl_du_Voir

Gurl_du_Voir
5 days ago#2
The meta will always boil down to a few chosen ones, so it's stupid to say the dex cut is for "balance reasons". It will only change who are the pokemon at the top, but we will still see the same 10-15 pokemon in every single team on tournaments, so it's bulls*** to say it's for balance reasons.

User Info: JDM_Jev

JDM_Jev
5 days ago#3
I'd be fine with it if we got good graphics or high quality animations. Or content besides making curry and petting Pokemon or playing dress up.
27 pronged approach! We weren't gonna shoot it ALL into space, that's what the other prongs were for! Stupid...

User Info: Hbthebattle

Hbthebattle
5 days ago#4
Banning Meta Knight and Icies did actually make Brawl far more balanced
Patience.

User Info: AlfredoJones

AlfredoJones
5 days ago#5
I said it before, I highly doubt anyone truly "likes" the National Dex cut. Most people I've seen who say they do are merely doing so out of spite for the #BringBackTheNationalDex crowd. The more likely answer is that many people have expected something like this to happen eventually and thus were mentally prepared for it. They admit the whole thing is a bit of a pisser, but there was always going to come a time when the total amount of Pokemon would exceed the limit of what could be reasonably added into a game. Whether we have reached that limit now is certainly up for debate, though I doubt anyone could truly come up with a convincing argument without in-depth knowledge of the process in which the games are made.
You can't fool me, 'cause I'm a moron!
Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2960-9608-3596

User Info: BalloonBattle05

BalloonBattle05
5 days ago#6
Hbthebattle posted...

Until the best character after them dominated the metagame.
If locking online play behind a paywall with irrelevant games is a service then bricking your phone and not removing the brick without a fee is also a service.

BalloonBattle05
5 days ago#7
AlfredoJones posted...
I said it before, I highly doubt anyone truly "likes" the National Dex cut. Most people I've seen who say they do are merely doing so out of spite for the #BringBackTheNationalDex crowd. The more likely answer is that many people have expected something like this to happen eventually and thus were mentally prepared for it. They admit the whole thing is a bit of a pisser, but there was always going to come a time when the total amount of Pokemon would exceed the limit of what could be reasonably added into a game. Whether we have reached that limit now is certainly up for debate, though I doubt anyone could truly come up with a convincing argument without in-depth knowledge of the process in which the games are made.

I'm sure eveyone realizes that but they know that this isn't a good time to cut the dex, and masuda's words don't help either

User Info: Hbthebattle

Hbthebattle
5 days ago#8
BalloonBattle05 posted...
Hbthebattle posted...

Until the best character after them dominated the metagame.

That is not what happened at the tourneys where MK and Icies were gone. Sometimes, an excision is better for a metagame. The VGC metagames that ban box legends tend to be more diverse than the ones that allow them.
Patience.

User Info: supremeblaster

supremeblaster
5 days ago#9
It's not about liking it, it was an inevitability. Those old models weren't going to last forever, and the instant they stopped being a usable thing, they'd need to make 1000 new models with a whole s*** ton of the animations that come with that.

Its a HUGE workload, and is the reason X&Y was kind of trash in the content department. Imagine that except even worse for a new game as the models need to be even higher definition and there's more than double of them.

It's good to cut out the pain early. From now on, when they start focusing on making new models, the workload will be cut tremendously and we might get more content-filled games as a result.
I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero. I have always only fought for the people I believe in. ~Zero
(edited 5 days ago)

BalloonBattle05
5 days ago#10
supremeblaster posted...
It's not about liking it, it was an inevitability. Those old models weren't going to last forever, and the instant they stopped being a usable thing, they'd need to make 1000 new models with a whole s*** ton of the animations that come with that.

Its a HUGE workload, and is the reason X&Y was kind of trash in the content department. Imagine that except even worse for a new game as the models need to be even higher definition and there's more than double of them.

It's good to cut out the pain early. From now on, when they start focusing on making new models, the workload will be cut tremendously and we might get more content-filled games as a result.

Except they're reusing the same models as always
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Why do people like the idea of a national dex cut?
  • Post New Message