• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Pokemon should have stayed "2D"

User Info: agent9149

agent9149
1 month ago#1
Pokemon should have stayed "2-D" if this was how Gamefreak was going to design their 3d games. To me they're still designing their games in a two 2-d mindset. All these beautiful backgrounds and were still stuck in hallway-like routes.

And that wild area? Just shows they haven't figured out yet what a pokemon game looks like with an open map.

I'd think i'd be more excited for a game that had Let's Go design (not mechanics). Since they are still designing games centered around grids. They were forced to be creative with gen 5. That was probably the height of their game design. Here it just seems so safe and uninspired.

I'm waiting for the company to give a third party developer a chance to make a console game. God, imagine Level-5 or Square Enix doing a pokemon console game? That would be epic.

User Info: Dumb-Fumbler

Dumb-Fumbler
1 month ago#2
I think a better option would be if GF can be in charge of direction with art style, story (maybe), new Pokémon but have another dev execute the actual world itself and implementation.
Icicle Crash + Heat Crash = Waterfall

User Info: Leon481

Leon481
1 month ago#3
agent9149 posted...
To me they're still designing their games in a two 2-d mindset. All these beautiful backgrounds and were still stuck in hallway-like routes.

I never thought about it before, but I can see what you're talking about. They do their best to disguise it with more dynamic camera angles but the design philosophy is still pretty much the same.

I think I give them some leeway here because they were working with 3DS hardware. To be fair, S/M really pushed the limits of the system in a lot of areas (the lag in any battles requiring more than 2 Pokemon at once for one thing) so there's a good chance they were just working within the confines of the system.

If they're trying to break out of that rut and learn how to better design a 3D game, then using something like the wild area as practice makes sense, especially since they work within deadlines that aren't really friendly to large, high fidelity games.

agent9149 posted...
I'm waiting for the company to give a third party developer a chance to make a console game. God, imagine Level-5 or Square Enix doing a pokemon console game? That would be epic.

With their deadlines, I'd be all for them outsourcing. Getting a company more used to large 3D projects on board to show them the ropes and help develop the games within the limited time they have would make a lot of sense.

I'm not sure I'd trust SE though. They've had some major issues for years now. Level-5 might work.

agent9149
1 month ago#4
Leon481 posted...
I think I give them some leeway here because they were working with 3DS hardware. To be fair, S/M really pushed the limits of the system in a lot of areas (the lag in any battles requiring more than 2 Pokemon at once for one thing) so there's a good chance they were just working within the confines of the system.

If they're trying to break out of that rut and learn how to better design a 3D game, then using something like the wild area as practice makes sense, especially since they work within deadlines that aren't really friendly to large, high fidelity games.

My general hope is that gen 9, they will give us something really worthwhile. But then again, I'm getting old. I'm tired of waiting.

User Info: Plasmas

Plasmas
1 month ago#5
Dumb-Fumbler posted...
I think a better option would be if GF can be in charge of direction with art style, story (maybe), new Pokémon but have another dev execute the actual world itself and implementation.

Actually that kind of is the setup (but reversed)

Creatures inc makes the pokemon models
And GF makes the games with them

So basically GF could just be replaced
Merlin: Remember to believe in magic... or I'll kill you.

User Info: PrimalElz

PrimalElz
1 month ago#6
I wouldn't mind, honestly.
I love Monster Hunter so much that I made a Gameplay Music Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxRnI9yrzlo

User Info: _Dog_

_Dog_
1 month ago#7
TC, it's just nostalgia speaking to you. Pokémon games weren't renowned for its 2D graphics, in fact they were quite behind in that.
The Big Problem with the Pokemon anime:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/217-pokemon/75265633

agent9149
1 month ago#8
_Dog_ posted...
TC, it's just nostalgia speaking to you. Pokémon games weren't renowned for its 2D graphics, in fact they were quite behind in that.

Perhaps nostalgia is a factor, but not a major one. Gen 5, they did a lot of good things that were creative, It would have been nice to see what they would have done if they kept with the 2-D, what kind of game design would have naturally come out of it.

I guess 3D was inevitable but it just seems like the series needs to be reworked for a 3D enviroment, it just doesn't translate as well as the 2D. They kind of needed to start from scratch.

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
1 month ago#9
All they've ever needed is a clean presentation, not unlike Earthbound for example.
Shouting "what did you do that for?" at a stationary bucket of water.

User Info: Andrex_93

Andrex_93
1 month ago#10
Having the grid essentially forced them to be a bit more creative, even though Pokémon maps were never hugely ground-breaking, I suppose; they were certainly more charming and effective than anything they've given us in 3D, though, for sure.

At this point, though, they have to keep going with 3D, so I also hope they (permanently) hire more competent people.. And maybe Gen 9 will be better because they have a bit more experience, but I wouldn't have my hopes up high.. Especially because, essentially, Pokémon never needed peculiar maps (usually brought forth by peculiar/gimmicky traversals)..

For now, they certainly need to use a better art-style, stay "cartoon-y", instead of this nonsensical mix that looks awful (I don't mind some aspects like some of the buildings, even though they're not ideal, but the "realistic" water with Gyarados cut off while swimming is ridiculous: LGPE looks better, by comparison, and that's just sad).
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Pokemon should have stayed "2D"
  • Topic Archived