• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Would there be as much of an uproar if they announced the Dex thing years go?

User Info: Fwahm

Fwahm
1 month ago#1
For example, let's say that around the time of Sun and Moon coming out, they announced in an interview that them adding dozens of new Pokémon every single generation was piling up the work load more and more each generation, and that they were going to have to start cutting Pokémon starting with Gen 8 to keep fitting in more.

Would it have lessened the outrage if it had been years in advance of them actually doing it, or would it have been basically the same in terms of fan reaction?

Edit: topic title should say years ago, not years go.

User Info: Dumb-Fumbler

Dumb-Fumbler
1 month ago#2
I thought that’s by gen 10 it would start, not gen 8.

But if it were to happen years ago, Gen 5 was a perfect place to start.

And before that Gen 3 was another perfect place to start.

They had a few chances to do this. It’s just weird that after so long, to do it in what seems arbitrary with no rhyme or reason to it, they decide “Ok, it’s time”

I know the saying “Tomorrow is not guaranteed” can reach to some, but they took it too literal. They can’t dig themselves out of their own hole that they dug for themselves and are forcing their way out. They already set the expectations and set a precedent for years, so the fan base is reacting to that (more so their reasonings but I digress). So, this is what we have now.
Icicle Crash + Heat Crash = Waterfall

User Info: Axews

Axews
1 month ago#3
Dumb-Fumbler posted...
I thought that’s by gen 10 it would start, not gen 8.

But if it were to happen years ago, Gen 5 was a perfect place to start.

And before that Gen 3 was another perfect place to start.

They had a few chances to do this. It’s just weird that after so long, to do it in what seems arbitrary with no rhyme or reason to it, they decide “Ok, it’s time”

I know the saying “Tomorrow is not guaranteed” can reach to some, but they took it too literal. They can’t dig themselves out of their own hole that they dug for themselves and are forcing their way out. They already set the expectations and set a precedent for years, so the fan base is reacting to that (more so their reasonings but I digress). So, this is what we have now.

True words, there. After PokeBank and all of that advertising, it's natural the fanbase expected all of them in SwoShi, especially that it's a home console game now.

In my opinion, Gamefreak shouldn't release games yearly and give yourselves more time to make Pokémon. TPC is probably the one that sets the deadline, though.
Hella strange.

User Info: Plasmas

Plasmas
1 month ago#4
No,

and if you go even further back there was no bank meaning if your pokemon was a member of a cut pokemon species it would be "gone" forever.
Merlin: Remember to believe in magic... or I'll kill you.

User Info: KurisuFenris

KurisuFenris
1 month ago#5
Yes.
No matter when they annouced it, people would still be upset.

User Info: Plasmas

Plasmas
1 month ago#6
Plasmas posted...
No,

and if you go even further back there was no bank meaning if your pokemon was a member of a cut pokemon species it would be "gone" forever.

Wait.. I meant yes
Merlin: Remember to believe in magic... or I'll kill you.

User Info: JT_Diamond

JT_Diamond
1 month ago#7
Yes, absolutely. That's why they didn't do it in Gen 6 when they obviously wanted to.

Gen 6 is the only single gen other than 1 (the beginning) and 3 (post-reboot, no importing) that you can complete the entire non-Mythical Pokedex in. This was a dead giveaway that PokeBank wasn't intended.

User Info: Hbthebattle

Hbthebattle
1 month ago#8
People got mad in Gens 3 and 5
Patience.

User Info: Endgame

Endgame
1 month ago#9
Yes.

Dexit undercuts the entire purpose of Pokémon: the pokémon.

And look at how pissed people already were over "Only new pokémon in the main story!" in B/W. (Made worse by the fact all the new pokémon were s***.)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert

User Info: DarkBuster22904

DarkBuster22904
1 month ago#10
Game freak doomed themselves to this fate the minute they made importing across gens a possibility. All the way back in gen 2 with the time capsule (as evidenced by the initial disappointment with leaving old pokemon behind when gen 3 hit).

That said, Bank is what really killed them. And for good reason. You dont introduce a f***ing paid subscription service to keep players pokemon safe for the EXPRESS PURPOSE of carrying them across gems for generations to come, only to immediately throw it, and a large portion of the pokemon it housed, in the garbage.

If Gamefreak wanted to do this, it needed to be the standard from the start. This isn't the kind of feature you offer and then just drop once its inconvenient.
Haven't had a good sig idea since 2006
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Would there be as much of an uproar if they announced the Dex thing years go?
  • Topic Archived