• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Most boring pokemon designs
@Revenant_Sith posted...
Ditto.

its a blob

Trust me, Meltan is worse.

It's Ditto, but painted silver and a nut placed on top.
You make a troll post? I'll report it.
3DS FC: 1435-9440-5728

User Info: Dumb-Fumbler

Dumb-Fumbler
2 weeks ago#42
StewieGriffin23 posted...

That literally has more effort than ditto.
Icicle Crash + Heat Crash = Waterfall

User Info: Desparae

Desparae
2 weeks ago#43
Dumb-Fumbler posted...

Not necessarily. I’m not going to agree or disagree with either of you, but it is possible for there to be more work in designing ditto than meltan.

For ditto, they actually had a very interesting concept, which is that it can take the form of any pokemon. In order to do that, they probably thought it was best to make a bland design without its own identity. But it still had to be cute and fit in with the pokemon world.

With meltan, if they did indeed just copy ditto and put a nut on top, then it would be a really easy process. They could rip off the work they already did and change a couple things. Now, I don’t think they intentionally copied ditto, but I’m saying it is possible.

Personally I think ditto and meltan are both boring, but at least ditto has a good reason to not have its own identity.

User Info: Revenant_Sith

Revenant_Sith
2 weeks ago#44

I can’t unsee that now.

At least it’s some Pokemon Go exclusive

User Info: aegis99driver

aegis99driver
2 weeks ago#45
Desparae posted...
Dumb-Fumbler posted...

Not necessarily. I’m not going to agree or disagree with either of you, but it is possible for there to be more work in designing ditto than meltan.

For ditto, they actually had a very interesting concept, which is that it can take the form of any pokemon. In order to do that, they probably thought it was best to make a bland design without its own identity. But it still had to be cute and fit in with the pokemon world.

With meltan, if they did indeed just copy ditto and put a nut on top, then it would be a really easy process. They could rip off the work they already did and change a couple things. Now, I don’t think they intentionally copied ditto, but I’m saying it is possible.

Personally I think ditto and meltan are both boring, but at least ditto has a good reason to not have its own identity.

I actually quite like it, mostly because of that live action trailer when they announced them. Also Melmetal is really cool in my opinion and it's my first shiny since Gen 6.

User Info: soothsayer

soothsayer
2 weeks ago#46
ditto is literally a :] on a blob lol
(edited 2 weeks ago)
https://pokeclover.fandom.com/wiki/Adesign
"Sony's not a Japanese company anymore just America's dog."
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/9212646.html

User Info: ExtaticGamer

ExtaticGamer
2 weeks ago#48
I don't mean to be that guy, but one of the first ones that comes to mind is Wooloo. It's just a Mareep with an inferior design.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

User Info: ExtaticGamer

ExtaticGamer
2 weeks ago#49
Desparae posted...
Dumb-Fumbler posted...

Good point, there's often more to a Pokémon's design than just face value
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

User Info: EmmyGemstar

EmmyGemstar
2 weeks ago#50
Ninetales tbh. Don't understand the love for this mon whatsoever. Alolan form was a lot better because the design actually goes somewhere and has a lot more variety though.
Golem and Poliwrath as well (Poliwrath makes me sad because I like Poliwhirl)
Hitmonchan is really lame. It's an unsatisfying mix of monster abstractions and human features, so neither of those things stick with you. That's boring.
Classic Linoone. It's just a flat Furret.
Swalot
Grumpig in the same boat as Hitmonchan, not for the same reasons, but where the mon does not stick with you because it's an unsatisfying mix of elements
Gorebyss looks completely crapped out. It's like they just experimented with shapes a bit and then were forced to make a mon out of it without actually finishing the design.
Wormadam encorporates the different textures into its design quite lazily. Generally looks like cartoon blob made out of nothing, should have much better shapes and much more effort in the former thing. Bad mon, Burmy isn't great but felt more concise.
Unfezant-F
Basculin. It feels like there's no creativity, abstracted proportions etc. It feels too much like just a regular animal with some meekly abstracted features.
Ducklett
Amoongus (Foongus is not as bad. It's like it's more meek and hiding under its cap.)
Beheeyem is the same boat as Hitmonchan
Beartic
Accelgor
Heatmor is a cool concept but the actual design has too many haphazard elements, weaker than it should be, holds back the little cool bits on the mon and does not stick with you
Chesnaught arguably, the elements on him just don't blend to sell the idea at all
Pangoro
Aromatisse
Yungoos and Gumshoos (but Gumshoos is worse. I don't think Yungoos is one of the worst on this list but may as well mention it)
And finally: Meltan (yes, Ditto is simpler, but it's more memorable a. for being the first b. going to the extreme and owning it, where Meltan apes Ditto and it's an animated nut but it's not done creatively at all, it just has to be animated because it's a cartoon. I don't know quite how to explain my feelings toward this Pokémon, but it feels like they didn't care to actually make a cohesive design, I guess. The blob is supposed to be animated but they screwed themselves by making the head a stiff metal nut and came up with the laziest solution to make this mon look animated. By contrast, Ditto is cohesively animated, and it's so simple because it's a blank slate before it transforms. It's not a magicky shapeshifter that needs battle armor or something. It's just a blob that mutates. Which is the point. The Ditto expression is classic and loveable as well. The design choices behind Meltan are a complete mess by comparison and it's unignoreable how similar the body is to Ditto, especially given that it debuted with Let's Go which was restricted to gen 1 mons and it had less room to hide.)
I had to make a lot of exceptions, and I'm too lazy to check the gen 8 mons.

Edit: I actually forgot Seel/Dewgong :T At least they kinda have a silky dress thing but it doesn't go anywhere honestly

Also I love Persian, sleek cat mon with those sharp sneaky eyes and the mysterious and sort of piercing gem. The face has some intriguing elements, but it's also really pleasing to just look at, the body is beautiful but deadly, and even the tail is a bit cute. As someone who loves cats it's extremely appealing, the simplicity works for it given little things its design and, especially how it's acted in some cases, suggest. If nothing else it's memorable for being one of the cat Pokémon that doesn't suck ass. :p

I love Spearow and especially Fearow as well. They go so far with so many m e n a c i n g triangles on their design that it's comical but not overbearing due to pleasing and clean colors, and they're a lot more "feral" than most if not all other bird mons
(except not really)
(edited 2 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. Most boring pokemon designs
  • Post New Message