You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. My generation is starting to realize that Pokemon games aren't very good.

User Info: akira595

akira595
1 week ago#1
I grew up with Pokemon on the GBC. I would trade cards at recess and then play Blue on the bus. My brother and I worked together to catch em all in our copies of Gold and Silver. The point is, Pokemon was extremely important to me as a child. Because of that, I've gone on to play almost all of them except for the ones on the 3DS because mine broke and I never bought a replacement.

But over time, I noticed that I was having less fun each generation. The final straw though was Let's Go. I bought that game for 60 dollars and stopped playing after a few hours because of how bored I was. I think over exposure to the series has slowly taken away my nostligia goggles and I finally saw the games for what they really are. Pokemon games are not good.

The stories are never better than a 3/10. The music is just passable. The gameplay is so barebones that it can literally be beaten by just using the same move with your starter the whole game. Players themselves have to come up with creative ways to make it more interesting. The graphics are not technically impressive, and the art style has been boring and generic ever since they made the jump to 3D models IMO. The only thing the games do objectivly well is being accessible to children and having a rewarding meta for competitive players.

But I've never been interested in the competitive online post game content. And now that I'm approaching my 30s and the nostalgia is wearing off, I'm seeing that Pokemon is first and foremost for children and that I was just borrowing something not made for me. I think that this gen is making a lot of people realize what I have though. With the threat of losing your favorite childhood Pokemon, what else is left? The game from a technical standpoint isn't very impressive.

I think the hate this game is getting comes from us 20-30 year olds finally realizing why we keep buying these games and wishing they were more than they are.
"Well, sir, I feel like a, like a slice of butter... melting on top of a big-ol' pile of flapjacks.."

User Info: DaDrkKnight

DaDrkKnight
1 week ago#2
Part of it is growing up, the other part is that the games genuienly used to be good
I'm going to hee-ho down your neck.
I'm kidding. Maybe.

akira595
1 week ago#3
When did they stop being good? It's hard to not get it mixed up with me just being a kid. The last game I remember really loving was emerald, but I also liked Diamond a lot too.
"Well, sir, I feel like a, like a slice of butter... melting on top of a big-ol' pile of flapjacks.."

User Info: Moongeist

Moongeist
1 week ago#4
akira595 posted...
With the threat of losing your favorite childhood Pokemon, what else is left?

The new Pokemon
/**T**\
\ ' ^ ' /

akira595
1 week ago#5
Moongeist posted...
akira595 posted...

The new Pokemon

But without the nostalgia of having played this as a child or being invested in the series, how are new pokemon any different than what the other 1000 collectathon games out there could offer?

Moongeist
1 week ago#6
akira595 posted...
Moongeist posted...
akira595 posted...

The new Pokemon

But without the nostalgia of having played this as a child or being invested in the series, how are new pokemon any different than what the other 1000 collectathon games out there could offer?

If you don't like the designs any more than those collectathons, it's not any better
I personally think the monster design is far better than any other monster catching games
/**T**\
\ ' ^ ' /

akira595
1 week ago#7
And that's totally fair and valid. But I don't think that's enough for a lot of people.

Moongeist
1 week ago#8
I totally agree, and those people should probably move on from Pokemon. Nothing Game Freak has ever done has indicated that they have any intentions of making the game that some people want them to make.
/**T**\
\ ' ^ ' /

User Info: ArtiRock

ArtiRock
1 week ago#9
It's not that the games got worse. It's that they genuinely haven't become appreciably better.

Red and blue is an amazing game boy game. There really aren't many RPGs that exist on the system, let alone worth playing. But on the GBC, it had more competition, and while GSC is a step up from rby, it still doesn't look as good in comparison to what you could get. From there it's all downhill. Other games in the system have massive jumps in quality, content, graphics etc. And Pokemon is just kinda there. There's a reason despite trying to replicate the same style of gameplay on consoles the games have been never sold as well. It's because there are more fun RPGs to play on the consoles than handhelds. But the further we get and the more powerful the handheld, the less that handhelds have crippled developers. And we see wonderful games like Xenoblade able to be on the handheld.

Generally each Pokemon generation of games HAVE been better. This is important to note. It's just they aren't doing much with the extra power they have on the systems. It's some of the reason that I'm genuinely disappointed with the lack of dex. Because we haven't seen anything that's pushing the franchise to a level that we haven't seen before.
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.

User Info: omegafire18

omegafire18
1 week ago#10
I understand that sentiment; I'm 27, and I definitely see things differently than I did as a kid. But, for me... I still like playing Pokemon.

^It's not because of childhood nostalgia, although that does exist of course, because I've been playing since Emerald. Even as an adult, I like exploring the new regions, putting together a team of purely-new Pokemon each time, and so on and so forth. If I ever get tired of it, I put it away and come back later - ie I'm not interested in a new generation, I skip it (at least, at initial release). Then once my interest comes back, as it very often does for things I like(d), I go back and re-ignite that passion by doing so

I don't care if the story's not the objective best. I don't care if the gameplay's not particularly deep. If a game is fun and I like it on it's own merits (whether it's simple, easy, complex, difficult, etc), then it's fun and I like it - my standards are far more complex than a "the better the objective quality, the better my subjective enjoyment" mentality that way. And thus far, Pokemon is still fun to play, so I play it; that's all :P
Just someone with different standards for reality and fiction. The latter is generally much more open, and is personally considered much more interesting.
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sword
  3. My generation is starting to realize that Pokemon games aren't very good.