• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
  3. Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/Planescape how hard to get into?

User Info: ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams
1 year ago#1
I had been intending to get all of these games for Switch as I love RPGs. However, this video has put me off somewhat:

https://youtu.be/kNOjyMGcbRQ

They make out that you have to play on the easiest difficulty (and still lose) and that you have to read offline manuals too. Are these games really that hard to get into? Are they really that tough?

I did try Baldur’s Gate on my iPhone 6S+ a while back and lost interest pretty quickly, but that was because I got fed up with the touchscreen, and I believe the Switch version gives you direct control?

User Info: MV6000

MV6000
1 year ago#2
This version has “story mode” difficulty that’s pretty much “easy mode” but you can’t die or have any negative status affects.

Im a first time player (played a bit of DnD with some friends casually) and currently playing through “story mode” difficulty and loving it so far.
Mighty No. 11144
http://psnprofiles.com/MV6000

ianpwilliams
1 year ago#3
I’ve read a bit about Story Mode but not sure what it is.

When you say you can’t die, can your characters still become unconscious, or is it literally that they are invulnerable?

Is it not a bit boring if there’s no danger to it? Or are you doing this for a few hours and then you’ll start again on a higher difficulty once you’ve gotten used to the game (or playing through all of it with a view to play through again at the next level)?

And can you change the difficulty mid-game?

I suspect I’ll really struggle with this game to begin with but I’d really like to get into it having heard about the quality of the stories, characters etc.
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: grumpypuff13

grumpypuff13
1 year ago#4
It really depends. I played this way back in 1998 when I was 11 and while I liked the story I mostly did not understand the mechanics of this game so I never beat it or its expansions and sequels.

Story Mode it is pretty impossible to die I ran through it until I was used to the mechanics and finished the game at level 5 in 12 hours just speeding through everything.

Easy mode is the base experience enemies do the least damage and you got a +6 luck bonus to what you do. Currently playing on this and I really only died to a few things I wasnt prepared for. Flesh Golem , Vampiric Wold (no weapons that where enchanted +1 or Magic) , Basilisks (if they aggro to your pc and petrify you auto game over) But once I had items like protections from petrify and stone to fless scrolls I made it through okay. Currently got 18 hours in on chapter 2 and explored pretty much the whole map.

Normal - Doing this side by side with easy mode harder then easy almost the base dnd experience I died a crap ton. Need to go it a bit slower then easy but still managable.

Base Difficulty is really give me a dnd experience. go it slow your experience depends on the luck of the digital dice and knowing what your doing.

Being older now and having had some Dungeons and Dragons tabletop experience under my belt I understand this game a lot more.

Basically it really follows the 2.5 rule sets for DnD as well as does the virtual dice rolls for your actions this means if you roll a 1 you critically fail if you roll a 20 its a critical success.

Armor Class works like a dodge stat with heavier armor and magical armor being better. the lower this number the better.

Thac0 works in conjunction with armor class to see if your gonna score a hit or wether or not your character misses on a dice roll. Again the lower this number the better. Having the right gear you can make your chance to hit so low that nothing will hit you physically unless they roll a 20.

If you played Dragon Age Origins or Divinity Original Sin this game is pretty much a early version of them but a more digital DnD story based experience.

ianpwilliams
1 year ago#5
Thanks, I played Dragon Age Origins, but playing the BG tutorial on a smartphone with touchscreen was just annoying, but hopefully will be better with direct control on Switch.

Also given that this has very good replay value I think Easy is the obvious choice while I get used to this type of game.

Do we know if Planescape has similar difficulty levels too?

I was also looking to get Neverwinter Nights, which I know nothing about other than people love the original, but looking at screenshots it looks more like a third person action game rather than isometric turn-based combat?

User Info: CUDIZONE

CUDIZONE
1 year ago#6
planescape is HARD. lol. put about 10 hours in so far. i was getting destroyed over and over and over and then went to turn the difficulty from normal to easy, but realized i accidentally started it on hard! normal is still a pretty big challenge but im gettin through it.
~trapped in the upside down~

ianpwilliams
1 year ago#7
Yeah I suspect I’ll be playing that on easy too, these games sound tough!

User Info: loeher182

loeher182
1 year ago#8
There is a learning curve, no way around it. If you've never played this kind of game before, you will have to do some homework and trudge through the opening chapters. However, the payoff is immense. The BG duology, IWD and Planescape are still the best DND licensed games around.

For some background: I never really played WRPGs before BG but I did play Dungeons and Dragons as a kid. All my WRPG exposure was mostly from The Elder Scrolls games and a few hours of classic Neverwinter Nights. I played the enhanced original BG for the first time in 2013 and after the learning curve, I've been obsessed with the Infinity Engine games ever since. I started on easy with BG and when I learned more about the systems, I played on Normal in BG II. They are very strategic games and it's quite fulfilling once you get the hang of them.

ianpwilliams
1 year ago#9
Yeah I come from the Elder Scrolls and Fallout school of RPGs which are arguably a lot less user-friendly and more shallow (although I love them). But it sounds like these games will be well worth the effort.

User Info: judgexp

judgexp
1 year ago#10
grumpypuff13 posted...

Basically it really follows the 2.5 rule sets for DnD as well as does the virtual dice rolls for your actions this means if you roll a 1 you critically fail if you roll a 20 its a critical success.

Armor Class works like a dodge stat with heavier armor and magical armor being better. the lower this number the better.

Thac0 works in conjunction with armor class to see if your gonna score a hit or wether or not your character misses on a dice roll. Again the lower this number the better. Having the right gear you can make your chance to hit so low that nothing will hit you physically unless they roll a 20.

So first of all Baldur's Gate is not really D&D, it's AD&D, at the time D&D was a different game, ruleset and setting, by the same publisher.

Second, there was no AD&D 2.5

The ruleset existing at the time of the BG games was Advanced Dungeons and Dragons second edition.

In the early 2000's they merged both games into a generic D&D line and called it third edition, a year later they decided to milk the game and released errata for a few of rules, reprinting all books and calling it D&D 3.5.

1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
  3. Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/Planescape how hard to get into?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A