• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Hard West
  3. I must be missing something

User Info: Justobuy

Justobuy
9 months ago#1
I usually dont suck at video games. Im normally decent at every games.

I just started this game 3 days ago and OH MY GOD im bad. Ive died 2 times in the first mission and 3 times in the second.

My shot never seems to hit, theirs hit way too often and after 2 shot (if you are cover) too bad im dead start again. Is it just very bad luck since i started or there is something like a defense action or else?
Mario maker 2 ID : XNK-NW9-RRF. Go try my Super Birok levels

User Info: Sarga

Sarga
6 months ago#2
This game is kinda hard but mostly, the hard thing to get is what the luck stat does.

If you're behind covers or decently far (based on the weapon used by the shooter), you get chances to avoid shots. If you get shot, you get luck, to avoid the next shot, otherwise, you avoid the shot and loose luck. If you're out of luck, basically you'll get hit everytime.

So you got to manage your cover decently and take care of your luck stat. That's the first step to avoid getting shot to death.

Usually, if you're unable to shoot twice at an enemy, or have 100% chance to hit, don't shoot. You'll usually miss and put yourself in a bad situation. Try to be careful and deal with one enemy at a time, usually if you manage to shoot at an enemy, he'll fall. Most enemies in the first scenario got 3hp, which means instant death if you shoot at someone not covered.

No the last great part, the cover. If you're under semi-cover (half shield) you usually take 1 damage less when hit, and it can be destroyed. If you're under full cover, you'll mostly get 1 damage per shot, which means shooting at people behind covers when you're in front usually amounts to nothing. Some skills (golden bullet, ricochet, etc) can pierce full cover or ignore it, which helps. Some enemies you'll find later on will have a lot of HP and won't use covers, but you'll be able to shoot at them with your gun at full power.

Now on guns, basic rifles are basically your go-to weapon anytime they're available, you can hit from decently far, the range is vague enough to almost never get a malus, it deals good damage to half cover and is cheap. On some scenarios, you get access to precision rifle, shotguns, Marine revolvers etc etc. Usually, avoid the close combat guns, shotguns got a spray shot which can be useful on some scenarios (Method in Madness, As Good as dead mostly) but usually, the precision malus is too annoying.

Cards, are bonus that you must equip to your characters. All cards are useful and basically, if you tinker a bit with it, you'll see it gives A LOT of bonuses. The queen of heart gives the most useful passive (hp regen when not in direct light), but all of them are good. Beware tho, actives cost luck while passives are free. They're not kept between scenarios, and thus, there's not real levels to your characters, you're always level 1.

Last thing, which may help, consummables can save the day. This game isn't very easy, and money isn't kept, use all of it if you're in a difficult position.

Also, some scenarios have difficult components in it that alter basic gameplay (Graveyard Shift, In Gold we trust) and that can make fights much more difficult than in others. Some characters are purposefully weaker than others, in the first scenario you got Warren and his father, which are pretty balanced and can go in any way you wish, some characters like Solomon DeLear are more suited to long range combat, you'll see it very quickly with their basic loadout and stats.

Good luck !

User Info: Justobuy

Justobuy
6 months ago#3
Thanks, i stopped playing the game when i bought pokemon, but now i want to replay it. I only manage to beat the first scenario but im realizing that you cant go head on in this game. Ill take my time and try to play with luck as you said
Mario maker 2 ID : XNK-NW9-RRF. Go try my Super Birok levels
  1. Boards
  2. Hard West
  3. I must be missing something
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A