• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  3. 3 THings I liked, and 2 things I disliked

User Info: ViniciusFernand

ViniciusFernand
3 weeks ago#1
Disliked:

- Can't Kill the Nightmare Zol with the Sleepy Toadstool. I miss using the mushroom to on shot the first form.

- I really miss the photo sidequest, it was fun, and while I like Dampé's Dungeon, it's not the same.

Liked

- Best minigames in the series. I usualy dread, with a few exceptions, doing minigames in Zelda games. BUt in this remake they are perfect. Rapids race is fast paced, trendy game is enjoyable and fishing is fun.

-I've been enjoying creating dungeons and challenging my friends to complete them.

- I really like how water looks in this game.

That's all, I just wanted to share a few opinions on this game.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: TourianTourist

TourianTourist
3 weeks ago#2
I didn't even know it was possible to defeat the Nightmare Zol with the toadstool, but I guess it makes sense, since you will have the toadstool instead of the Magic Powder. But now you can have both at the same time, which is also nice...

And I personally don't miss the photo quest, because it created some missable items and forced you to steal from the shop in order to complete it. Like you I also enjoy the Chamber Dungeon, where it feels like a good trade. And it's a good thing that nothing is missable in the remake overall.

The mini-games are super fun, I agree. And I'm also someone, who usually dislikes the mini-games in Zelda, with a few exceptions like Rupee Rush.
It's a secret to everybody!
http://hyrule.blog

User Info: ViniciusFernand

ViniciusFernand
3 weeks ago#3
TourianTourist posted...
And I personally don't miss the photo quest, because it created some missable items and forced you to steal from the shop in order to complete it.

I knew you would say that. I think, that if the Photo QUest was still here Nintendo would rework it so Nothing is missable, since nowadays they seem to hate permanent missables.
(message deleted)

User Info: rasendori85

rasendori85
3 weeks ago#5
Honestly I think the photo quest could have been a worthwhile thing to keep in and possibly expand on for a number of reasons. It gives you more exposure to the inhabitants of the island which would add to the bitter sweet charm of the ending. The system has a built in screen capture to take advantage of. The world is 3D so it would be fun to adjust the angle and zoom of the moments yourself. And they could give you a camera item to go in first person and take fun pictures for yourself.

If missablity of parts of the quest are an issue the album could be be shared across saves. Honestly I thinks that's a function the chamber stones should have too.

User Info: Xade

Xade
2 weeks ago#6
There are so many good things, so I am just gonna mention the really bad things:

- When you fall down a hole you spawn near the edge instead of at the doorway. This might seem convinient, but I prolly fell down 100 times extra cause I instantly move, thinking I'll spawn at the doorway.

- Fishing is good designed, but I wasted so many hours just waiting and waiting and waiting for the rare fish to appear (yes I kept capturing the ones in the pond). They could have made it more interesting.

- Dampe's Challenges are awesome except for the damn stairs. Every single time I make a proper dungeon and get the message that chambers aren't corrected. HOW HARD could it have been to make a smooth way to select which 2 stairs that should be connected without trial and error litterally 20 times.

- If you have that powder that makes you revive if you die, you cannot loot another from a chest. I think 2 dungeons had these in chests, so I purposely had to waste time dying just to loot them. WHY oh God, WHY Nintendo did you repeat the same mistake as in Twilight Princess "you can't carry this, so lets put it back". Why not add an option "pick it up anyway" or "discard it" so we don't have to purposely die or leave the chest. Face it, everyone wanna loot every single chest and backtracking is awful.

- Why did the dungeon slates have to cost 1280 each in the shop. Come on, grinding Rupees isn't fun and having them that expensive makes no sense, it's not like they are super good at Dampes challenges anyway. This just felt like something they added to make this very short (but good) game seem longer.

User Info: MistressFi

MistressFi
2 weeks ago#7
Xade posted...
- When you fall down a hole you spawn near the edge instead of at the doorway. This might seem convinient, but I prolly fell down 100 times extra cause I instantly move, thinking I'll spawn at the doorway.

- Fishing is good designed, but I wasted so many hours just waiting and waiting and waiting for the rare fish to appear (yes I kept capturing the ones in the pond). They could have made it more interesting.

- If you have that powder that makes you revive if you die, you cannot loot another from a chest. I think 2 dungeons had these in chests, so I purposely had to waste time dying just to loot them. WHY oh God, WHY Nintendo did you repeat the same mistake as in Twilight Princess "you can't carry this, so lets put it back". Why not add an option "pick it up anyway" or "discard it" so we don't have to purposely die or leave the chest. Face it, everyone wanna loot every single chest and backtracking is awful.

1.) That's clearly for the player's convenience, so I don't see how it's a bad thing. Let alone a really bad one. I remember falling into holes a few times because of it, but it you didn't adjust in time for it not to become a problem, that's not the game's fault. That would be like me complaining because I was playing Breath of the Wild and kept pressing B to attack enemies instead of Y.

2.) That is also your own fault. It wouldn't have been as boring if you didn't waste your time and money catching regular fish instead of leaving the area and letting the pond reset on its own. Nine times out of ten, there'll be a rare fish in the pond the first time I go to play, and if not, one has always shown up the second time.

3.) I know this sounds rude, but if having a little icon that's different from the rest of your map is that big of a deal to you, you need to get over your OCD. Not everyone minds not leaving one or two chests unopened, especially if they already know what's inside them. I know the medicine isn't expensive, but I don't mind having a free batch of it that I can go back for, if I ever do need it.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Philip027

Philip027
2 weeks ago#8
1.) That's clearly for the player's convenience, so I don't see how it's a bad thing.

Thing is, I've noticed this change too, and it isn't always "convenient" for the player.

For instance, recall the room in Catfish's Maw where you're meant to hookshot across three gaps and four spike traps. It's easy to come across this room prior to having the hookshot, and it's easy for players to think that they're meant to quickly jump across the gaps. Normally, players will make it across one gap, land, get struck, and fall. In the original game, you would be returned to the room entrance and be given a chance to breathe and think "...maybe this isn't the way I'm supposed to handle this room." In this version, you're placed right back where the spike traps are, and it's very easy to fall again, whether from being hit by the traps or you simply running into the gaps without realizing.

Then take any sort of instance where you're supposed to leap across a big gap to retrieve an item. If you make the jump the first time and get the item, you now have to be able to make the jump back in order to leave the room. Naturally, if you could make it once you're generally able to make it back, but my timing with the long jump isn't perfect and there have been times where I fell several times trying to make the return jump. In the original game, after falling once, I would have been returned to the room entrance and not have had to try again. Not so in this version.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: MistressFi

MistressFi
2 weeks ago#9
Philip027 posted...
1.) That's clearly for the player's convenience, so I don't see how it's a bad thing.

Thing is, I've noticed this change too, and it isn't always "convenient" for the player.

For instance, recall the room in Catfish's Maw where you're meant to hookshot across three gaps and four spike traps. It's easy to come across this room prior to having the hookshot, and it's easy for players to think that they're meant to quickly jump across the gaps. Normally, players will make it across one gap, land, get struck, and fall. In the original game, you would be returned to the room entrance and be given a chance to breathe and think "...maybe this isn't the way I'm supposed to handle this room." In this version, you're placed right back where the spike traps are, and it's very easy to fall again, whether from being hit by the traps or you simply running into the gaps without realizing.

Then take any sort of instance where you're supposed to leap across a big gap to retrieve an item. If you make the jump the first time and get the item, you now have to be able to make the jump back in order to leave the room. Naturally, if you could make it once you're generally able to make it back, but my timing with the long jump isn't perfect and there have been times where I fell several times trying to make the return jump. In the original game, after falling once, I would have been returned to the room entrance and not have had to try again. Not so in this version.

To each their own, I suppose. I’ve just never heard anyone complain about this feature before.

In my defense, I have been playing the Oracle games quite often lately, and they have something of an abundance of lengthy pit-traversing sections that force you to start from the very beginning if you fall just once. That could be influencing my feelings just a smidge.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  3. 3 THings I liked, and 2 things I disliked
  • Post New Message