• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. I'm kinda surprised more people aren't complaining about the camera

User Info: Raihazan

Raihazan
1 month ago#1
Almost the sole thing killing my enjoyment for this game is combat camera. It has never been a problem for me in other games like Bayonetta etc. to stay aware of my surroundings but in this game often I get attacked completely out of the blue because I was struggling with the camera.

If the fight takes places in an open space with no obstacles then it is mostly fine (the training room I have NO problem fighting in whatsoever for example) but when walls and obstacles are introduced it becomes annoying. A lot of the time my character leaves the screen when there's a wall too close to the camera, that shouldn't happen in a third person game! The only real way I have found to deal with this is either constantly using the right stick while fighting to give myself a better view or toggling between locking on to enemies and not locking on.

Damn shame because the combat is a ton of fun when I can actually see well.

User Info: Luna_the_wolf

Luna_the_wolf
1 month ago#2
There is way more wrong with this game than just the camera.

User Info: Disengaged

Disengaged
1 month ago#3
Lmao, I think I just basically said exactly this in my post on what I would rate the game.
This is my signature. You read my signature. It sucked.

User Info: Thanatos2k

Thanatos2k
1 month ago#4
I thought you were referring to the camera you have to whip out in combat to take a picture of every enemy.

Because that's extremely stupid, especially when you have to take a picture of enemies from a specific magic angle for it to count.

Raihazan
1 month ago#5
Luna_the_wolf posted...

I don't really have many other problems with it. The pacing can be a bit random at times, sometimes non-combat segments feel too long and some side quests are not that fun for example but to me those are very minor complaints compared to camera trouble.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Luna_the_wolf

Luna_the_wolf
1 month ago#6
Raihazan posted...
Luna_the_wolf posted...

I don't really have many other problems with it. The pacing can be a random at times, sometimes non-combat segments feel too long and some side quests are not that fun for example but to me those are very minor complaints compared to camera trouble.

From my post in that other topic-

30 fps, tedious side missions, janky as hell platforming, silent protagonist, boring combat, strange and boring characters, god I could go on but I think I made my point.

Oh, and it has what has easily become my least favorite plot setup- "You are The Rookie(tm) but there is Something Special(tm) about you that no one else has or can do." Ugh.

Raihazan
1 month ago#7
30 fps I'm okay with but it sometimes dips to way below 30 which can be a bit jarring, yeah. That one rooftop boss in the thunderstorm that summoned tornadoes tanked it to single digits.

I feel a lot of people have complained about the platforming but I've had no problems with it so far (8 files in). Well, in the very beginning I fell off a couple of times but then I realized that there's actual collision and you don't just magically zip to your target location so you need to plan your jumps so you don't hit any bumps. Once I started paying attention it became easy.

Silent protagonist is not at all a problem for me, the sibling does the important talking. If you want to hear the other character talk just switch them up.

Combat is not boring at all to me, it's really fun, I dreaded it would be boring at the beginning but then a ton of combat options opened up in like file 3 I think.

The story and characters are kinda whatever but I came into this game expecting the same level of story as Platinum's other games (serves its purpose but nothing that special) and got what I expected. Nier Automata is the only standout but in that one Platinum was not in charge of the story.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Wes62

Wes62
1 month ago#8
The camera isn't great but does anyone play games with rotatable cameras and not constantly keep a finger on the stick to position it when not pressing another button?
Sig

User Info: OracleGunner

OracleGunner
1 month ago#9
Luna_the_wolf posted...
30 fps, tedious side missions, janky as hell platforming, silent protagonist, boring combat, strange and boring characters,

Outside of certain fights it's smooth. Then don't do them. Only janky if you don't have a pulse. That's not a negative. That's bulls***. Strange? Yes. Boring? Nope.
The Unofficial Iron Castle That Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse. People who got it:6
The Official Tlaloc of the SMT IV board.

User Info: Raeng

Raeng
1 month ago#10
It's Platinum and this is probably their best camera once you tweak the settings somewhat. That said, as with most action games, the camera always requires some form of mastery.
http://www.stingermagazine.com - articles on the action genre's best.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09UqeY80WzoWMnxRkL4Tkw - challenge runs.
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. I'm kinda surprised more people aren't complaining about the camera
  • Post New Message