• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. Small things I've found not so stellar about Astral Chain (no major spoilers)

User Info: Darth_Kamcio

Darth_Kamcio
2 months ago#1
1) Artificial urgency countered by collectibles
I find it weird for the game to yell "This is urgent, you've got to go/help/whatever now!!!" at me while also providing missable collectibles on the way. As a completionist, I had to choose between "Oh, that can wait" which made me lose immersion, and "Well then, screw those find-me's" and feeling bad about having missed them.

2) The balancing minigame
It seems to be purposefully designed to be annoying to the player.

3) Post-battle scripts launching too fast
I've been denied quite a share of items because the game went ahead with the events without letting me collect stuff laying on the ground. Most of the time just a second or two would have sufficed.

4) Attempting to use item/legion wheels while the hud hasn't loaded yet (common occurence if there was an introductory cutscene) pauses your game without letting you use the wheel (it stays invisible).
If the game accepts a player's inputs, let them do something. If I'm not to use the wheel too fast, just disable my inputs until I'm allowed to.

5) English dubbing
While I've seen people complain about lip sync, my major issue is that sometimes the voices are really disconnected from the events around the characters. If a character is tired and panicking, I would expect them to sound the part... and they sound calm and composed (despite visibly gasping).
Also, the "anime breathing sounds" the protagonist makes sometimes are just ridiculous.

6) There are glitches
So far I've encountered one - where an NPC spawned twice, resulting in a 2-headed, 8-limbed abomination. Sure, it's nothing major, but it is an objective flaw in the game and I wanted to put it out there.

7) Mostly a "me problem" - controls in the Sword Legion's blade mode
Left stick controls the angle and right stick controls the camera, which is the exact opposite of how it worked in Revengeance and my muscle memory screws me over hard.

Just some small things I wanted to get off my chest about this game. I do enjoy it nonetheless, just felt like sharing.
You have absolutely no right to complain about a decision you decided to support with your money. Be smart and vote with your wallets!

User Info: LeyasAomori

LeyasAomori
2 months ago#2
I can say with not having time to pick up dropped items from enemies:

Whenever you leave the area(enter a gate, loading screen, or finish the mission) it automatically picks up any missed items and puts them in your inventory.

Darth_Kamcio
2 months ago#3
LeyasAomori posted...
I can say with not having time to pick up dropped items from enemies:

Whenever you leave the area(enter a gate, loading screen, or finish the mission) it automatically picks up any missed items and puts them in your inventory.

Oh, I never knew that! But in this case, what are "auto pick-up items" ability chips for?
You have absolutely no right to complain about a decision you decided to support with your money. Be smart and vote with your wallets!

User Info: Da_doppen

Da_doppen
2 months ago#4
My main issue is that I've encountered three annoying glitches where I was basically softlocked:

1: When entering the Astral Plane at the end of File 08, the floor glitched out and put floor tiles where they shouldn't be (Which I didn't know at the time since it was my first time there), which included above the moving platforms that are supposed to get you back up after finding a secret trapping me down there. Solved it by squeezing myself to death on said platforms, finally getting a game over after doing this for like 5 minutes fixed the layout, which instantly confirmed to me that I was indeed stuck and not just missing something.

2: In one of the optional red cases in file 11 a girl gets kidnapped by a flying Chimera. In this fight I somehow managed to launch it in below the floor, where it got stuck in a respawn loop. After a lot of testing I finally managed to kill it by spamming Bow legion headshots from the right angle., luckily it got stuck below a more elevated area so I had lower ground to stand on.

3: In the climax of the game, after defeating the five enhanced legions sent out by Yoseph, the following cutscene didn't load after the results screen, so I could walk up the stairs where I should never be able to go and stuff like that. I had to quit and reload the game, luckily the game saved right there and started me off at said cutscene, so I didn't lose any progress.

I also got a minor glitch in file 11 where my sound effects got stuck in "focus mode" for half the stage, until I focused again, resetting it. Kinda ruined the feel of the stage up until that point, everything sounding off and muted.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names!

User Info: the_rowan

the_rowan
2 months ago#5
If we're posting softlocks, there's an easy one in chapter 5 where you just talk to the vendor-3 and pick Chat while Brenda is having you wait for her. If she interrupts you to tell you she's ready, it forces the vendor-3 dialog box to close while you're still stuck in the "unable to move" talk state, and you're immediately softlocked since the game responds to absolutely no inputs other than moving the camera around. Might only work if you time it so that she interrupts you between picking Chat and the first vendor-3 dialog after that actually appearing.

It's especially fun since you spawn out at the helicopter after reloading and have to start the forced slow walk all over again.
"That is why war is so tragic. To win means to make victims of your opponents and give birth to hatred." - Kratos Aurion, Tales of Symphonia
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Raeng

Raeng
2 months ago#6
> I've been denied quite a share of items because the game went ahead with the events without letting me collect stuff laying on the ground.
If you're denied items by a teleport etc, they're automatically added to your inventory.

> Attempting to use item/legion wheels while the hud hasn't loaded yet

While I agree, the menu is technically there and you can actually make choices and they will register.

> Oh, I never knew that! But in this case, what are "auto pick-up items" ability chips for?

That way you don't have to pick up items by pressing a button, just touching them is enough :)
http://www.stingermagazine.com - articles on the action genre's best.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09UqeY80WzoWMnxRkL4Tkw - challenge runs.

User Info: ReddShope

ReddShope
2 months ago#7

This is particularly bothersome on what I believe was chapter 5, where you're in the subway, and Alicia is being attacked by chimeras but there are collectibles and red matter on the trains that get locked off if you go to her first because the game is too liberal with its PONRs. This one bothered me cause you can see homegirl with your IRIS on and hear her being attacked, and I wasn't sure if she had a draining health bar.
Single-handedly destroyed BC.
Procrastinating since '93
(edited 2 months ago)

Darth_Kamcio
2 months ago#8
ReddShope posted...

This is particularly bothersome on what I believe was chapter 5, where you're in the subway, and Alicia is being attacked by chimeras but there are collectibles and red matter on the trains that get locked off if you go to her first because the game is too liberal with its PONRs. This one bothered me cause you can see homegirl with your IRIS on and hear her being attacked, and I wasn't sure if she had a draining health bar.

Precisely the scene that I had in mind when writing that.

User Info: Hidari

Hidari
2 months ago#9
The artificial urgency vs. collectibles happens quite a lot in this game and is bugging me too. Astral Chain has some great moments and set pieces, but with the developers having a penchant for blocking off routes early coupled with the fact that you have to replay whole file segments because you can't retry side missions on the spot, means that I will always go after the collectibles and side missions when given the choice. Just to save myself some headache later on, which sadly takes quite a lot of weight out of some scenes or encounters.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Thanatos2k

Thanatos2k
2 months ago#10
Darth_Kamcio posted...
7) Mostly a "me problem" - controls in the Sword Legion's blade mode
Left stick controls the angle and right stick controls the camera, which is the exact opposite of how it worked in Revengeance and my muscle memory screws me over hard.

This is not just a you problem. At no point did the slash controls ever feel comfortable to me so I just stopped using it.
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. Small things I've found not so stellar about Astral Chain (no major spoilers)
  • Post New Message